First Gun- New Member

First Gun- New Member

This is a discussion on First Gun- New Member within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all I'd like to say hi to everyone. I've been visiting this site and finally decided to become a member. I just recently ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Gun- New Member

First Gun- New Member

First of all I'd like to say hi to everyone. I've been visiting this site and finally decided to become a member. I just recently turned 21 and I am looking into purchasing my first handgun. Being a student my budget it tight. I'd love to have a range gun and a carry gun but for now just one is going to have to do.
    That being said I've narrowed it down to a couple and would like everyone opinion.

1) Sig P239
    2) Glock 19
    3) CZ P01
    4) Either a full size USP or Sig P229

I've also looked into 1911's. I have fired them and find them great, but I have yet to really feel confident with there reliability, that being said I have looked at the Kimber Ultra Carry and similar 4" Springfields.

Any advice and or other suggestions would be great.
    Thanks guys.

los
    Greetings, MTS and WELCOME to The Forum.

The G19 would get my vote. What type carry method do you intend to use.?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Senior Moderator
    The best thing you can do before you make a decision is to shoot each gun.

All of the Internet surfing about various handguns is great, but nothing will take the place of the actual feel of the gun in your hand and how it shoots.

Every person here on this site has an opinion, but every person on this site has different sized hands, different tolerance levels of recoil, and what works for them may not work for you.

Don not make the mistake of spending lots of money on a handgun ONLY to find out after shooting it a few times that you are less than happy with it.

With that being said...
    I personally like the SIG 229. Its compact enough to be able to carry concealed, big enough to act as a range gun, and is as accurate as any gun made.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Hello, welcome to the forum!

My EDC, HD, range, fun gun, SHTF gun is a GLOCK 19. They are known for their reliability, simplicity, and reasonable price. I've never really priced a Sig but I hear they are pricey, fine guns I'm sure but pricey. I say go with the GLOCK, best all around 9mm pistol on the planet, it's what I trust.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Thanks, my intended method of carry would be iwb. I'm younger and in shape, and my normal attire consists of shorts and t-shirts. I've fired a sig P229 and Glock 17 before. This upcoming week I intend to make a trip to a local range to rent some.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MuayThaiSi View Post
    Thanks, my intended method of carry would be iwb. I'm younger and in shape, and my normal attire consists of shorts and t-shirts. I've fired a sig P229 and Glock 17 before. This upcoming week I intend to make a trip to a local range to rent some.
    It sounds like you are on the right track. For some reason or another one gun will appeal to you more than others. Shoot it, compare it to the rest and come to your own conclusion.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

All of the weapons you listed are very good. As stated try to shoot them all if possible. For me it would be a G-19 or a G-23 for IWB carry. Small enough to conceal, big enough to get a decent grip for control.

Finn

Welcome from Central Texas!!!!!!

Go with the Glock 19 you will not be sorry!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Hello, welcome to the forum!

My EDC, HD, range, fun gun, SHTF gun is a GLOCK 19. They are known for their reliability, simplicity, and reasonable price. I've never really priced a Sig but I hear they are pricey, fine guns I'm sure but pricey. I say go with the GLOCK, best all around 9mm pistol on the planet, it's what I trust.
    Completely Agree ^^^^^^^

Welcome.

It sounds like you've done the hard part. Now the fun part begins, trying them out, and finding the one to call your own.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

4 out of 5

By coincidence I own 4 of the 5 guns you are considering (no CZ). The 4 I have are all excellent guns - you mentioned reliability as a consideration - they are all very reliable in my experience.

I would say the Sig P229 (mine is .40) is the best all around gun for range, carry and home defense. I keep it by my bedside, and shoot it frequently at the range. But the Glock 19 or Sig P239 are lighter weight, more compact, and probably better for concealed carry. Glock is always a safe choice if you are comfortable with the ergonomics, appearance and DAO trigger system.

The H&K USP is an excellent gun, but I think the compact version is better than the full size if carry is a possible use.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Like Hot guns said...its a matter of personal preference. Ther eis not a bad gun in the bunch you selected. First blush I say the 19 is the best all around in all factors, for conecealability capacity reliability etc. That being Said I have a P228 in 9mm and absoultely love it, and a Glock 23. So...
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I absolutely love my USP and I believe the reliability will match anything else made. But you said you're a shorts and T-shirt kind of guy and I think the rough finish of the grip would be "abrasive" against bare skin. In that case I would go with a Sig.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Welcome from Delaware!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The "Student Budget" will most likely take the SIGs off your list. Fine guns, but not "economical" per say. Glocks are great if you like the grips (or learn to hold it). I don't feel thay're bad, just different from some other makes. Offers good capacity and concealment. CZs get rave reviews. I'd take a serious look at them also.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links