I want a Sig 226 40cal... Talk me out of it. Also... Bodygaurd vs PPK

This is a discussion on I want a Sig 226 40cal... Talk me out of it. Also... Bodygaurd vs PPK within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New member, long time lurker. So first off hello to everyone. I have always wanted a Sig 226. They look great, they feel great in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I want a Sig 226 40cal... Talk me out of it. Also... Bodygaurd vs PPK

I want a Sig 226 40cal... Talk me out of it. Also... Bodygaurd vs PPK

New member, long time lurker. So first off hello to everyone.

I have always wanted a Sig 226. They look great, they feel great in my hand, and they just seem to have alot of swagger. It's basically the opposite of my trusty Glock.
    I see them in every cop movie or show I watch, and I just feel like I need one.
    But I have never shot one and I hear the trigger is crap.

I already own a Glock G30 45auto, and Baretta 92fs 9mm full size.
    So now I want a 40 cal, preferably fullsize.

Also, if someone could give me thought about those new SW BodyGaurd, compared to the walther PPS (not PPK), that would be great as well. I can no longer carry my Glock due to stupid MA laws about Glocks triggers blah blah blah. And I want something really small because I already own a few big boys.

Thanks in advance boys.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I can't talk you out of a 226 - they are great handguns.

The triggers are most definitely not crap. But if you find it not to your liking, there are other trigger variants, or you can get the trigger tuned by a number of top-shelf smiths these days.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Thanks for the reply Matt.
    Score one for the Sig. +1

Here's the big question, is it even legal to change the trigger in MA? Then we're also talking about a 1K$ gun plus a gunsmith to tune the trigger.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sclewis12 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Matt.
    Score one for the Sig. +1

Here's the big question, is it even legal to change the trigger in MA? Then we're also talking about a 1K$ gun plus a gunsmith to tune the trigger.
    I believe, but don't know for sure, that both the normal Sig trigger and the Sig DAK trigger models are available in MA.

A local shop would know for sure.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

Not sure who told you the trigger on the 226 is crap. But most Sigs have excellent triggers. It does depend on the trigger style you get. I tend to stick with traditional Da/Sa, or a single action only. Don't know much about the DAK trigger system. I personally think Sigs are a level up from glocks in most aspects, they are some fine combat pistols that will hold up for a long time.

Don't knowa bout your second question though,
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Come over to the Sig forum and hang out. You'll get all your questions answered.Also go to a range and rent one.

There's a Sig forum?
    My range is in the middle of the woods with no type of... Well no type of anything haha. Its just a gated hole in the woods that you pay 100 bucks a year to have a key too.

here's the thing, I heard they were all double action on the first pull, is this correct?

Senior Moderator
    There's a Sig forum?
    My range is in the middle of the woods with no type of... Well no type of anything haha. Its just a gated hole in the woods that you pay 100 bucks a year to have a key too.

here's the thing, I heard they were all double action on the first pull, is this correct?
    Sig actually has some single action options.

I want this to be an accurate, all purpose pistol for the price. I would like to be able to either cock it and fire with a light trigger pull, or pull the trigger uncocked and have it fire with obviously more pull.
    Am I right in assuming you can get a 226 that does this?

Sorry, but I really don't know much about them, and the website doesn't have much information. At least nothing I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Not sure who told you the trigger on the 226 is crap. But most Sigs have excellent triggers. It does depend on the trigger style you get. I tend to stick with traditional Da/Sa, or a single action only. Don't know much about the DAK trigger system. I personally think Sigs are a level up from glocks in most aspects, they are some fine combat pistols that will hold up for a long time.

Don't knowa bout your second question though,
    Actually no one told me they were crap. But from what i've read on this forum, people complain about the accuracy of sigs due to the long trigger pull.

I want this to be an accurate, all purpose pistol for the price. I would like to be able to either cock it and fire with a light trigger pull, or pull the trigger uncocked and have it fire with obviously more pull.
    Am I right in assuming you can get a 226 that does this?

Sorry, but I really don't know much about them, and the website doesn't have much information. At least nothing I understand.
    With both my 220 and 225, it is the traditional Double action/Single action set up. The hammer can be thumbed back for the first shot, then they are all single action shots, but I certainly wouldn't carry them in that condition, and if I needed to use it in a defensive scenario, wouldn't waste time trying to manipulate anything but the bang switch. But for accurate shooting on the range, it is an option. The 225 is over 30 years old, and still has a nice smooth trigger on it. Sig also does have their single action only pistols that can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

JT
    The only reason I would try to talk you out of a P226, is to talk you into a P229.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    With both my 220 and 225, it is the traditional Double action/Single action set up. The hammer can be thumbed back for the first shot, then they are all single action shots, but I certainly wouldn't carry them in that condition, and if I needed to use it in a defensive scenario, wouldn't waste time trying to manipulate anything but the bang switch. But for accurate shooting on the range, it is an option. The 225 is over 30 years old, and still has a nice smooth trigger on it. Sig also does have their single action only pistols that can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911.
    Awesome!!
    You may have just lead me to my first sig.
    Do you know if all 226's are like that? Or do some models have different actions?
    Thanks btw

Awesome!!
    You may have just lead me to my first sig.
    Do you know if all 226's are like that? Or do some models have different actions?
    Thanks btw
    For the 226 the only other action I see listed on their website is the DAK trigger, which honestly I don't have enough experience with to comment on. The SAO model is offered in the 220, which is a .45. But the default trigger set-up for Sig's is the double action/single action, that is what the majority of them are. If you go to Sig's website they have a bunch of models under the 226, one says DAK, but mostly they are just different "trim packages" with changes like rails and duo-tone pistols and stuff.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Thanks for your input guys

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links