Been thinking about a 45 lately - Page 2

Been thinking about a 45 lately

This is a discussion on Been thinking about a 45 lately within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GM 8+1 rounds in a Commander sized 1911. Buy which manufacturer? I've been looking for a 4" 1911 with 8 round mag ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Been thinking about a 45 lately

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    8+1 rounds in a Commander sized 1911.
    Buy which manufacturer? I've been looking for a 4" 1911 with 8 round mag capability.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    in a self defense situation the accuracy of a 1911 vs a glock 30 won't be an issue at all, and most of the carry 1911s are 7+1 not 8+1...now if we are talking fullsize thats another story.
    Actually most 1911 are 8+1. That's full size and commader size. The only ones that are not 8+1 are Officers models.

Buy which manufacturer? I've been looking for a 4" 1911 with 8 round mag capability.
    Every commander 1911 will carry 8+1 with a flush fitting mag. It's in the mag, not the gun.
    Last edited by JD; July 15th, 2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Actually most 1911 are 8+1. That's full size and commader size. The only ones that are not 8+1 are Officers models.
    most interesting... 1911 just took the P220's place on my list :p (I shoot the 1911 far better)
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Gotta throw the Glock 36 out there as one to look at too!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Sig 220 Carry.

I'm thinking about getting a 220 Carry Elite Dark myself.

cmb
    All major 1911 manufacturers have "commander" length slide options they just don't all call them that... I am a Springfield guy and they call them "champion" I would look at the lightweight loaded champion or the operator champion. They'll have the night sights, tunings, and extras out of the box. Mine is a lightweight full size weighs around 40 oz loaded, the G30 would be about 34 loaded. The working width wear your belt goes on a 1911 is less than .9 inches, the G30 is 1.25"... Since you don't have either, I would shoot the G30 and if you like it go with it. My issue is I have a 1911 shoot it well, am comfortable with it... haven't shot G30, the ones I've held don't feel just right in my hand (though I haven't shot it) and is 2 rounds worth spending 500+ $ I don't have right now... eaither way I think you'll do fine but don't forget about the Sig line, XD, etc... worth a look!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    I have a G19 but, I'd like the option of carrying a 45acp from time to time. I'd like to try something no bigger than the G19. Any suggestions?
    HK45c. It is slightly larger than the G19, (about 1/2 inch or so), but it is truly an outstanding pistol.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

1911 may be the finest SHOOTER but if I want a .45 to carry every day a glock 30 with 10+1 .45 acp is a better combat pistol. however its not as slim as the 1911

That being said, Glock 30 and 1911 are both on my list to buy ever since trying them out
    Many would say the 1911 is the best combat pistol ever. You do want a gun you shoot well and it's hard to beat a 1911 in that category. There is a reason the same basic design has been used as long as it has.

in a self defense situation the accuracy of a 1911 vs a glock 30 won't be an issue at all, and most of the carry 1911s are 7+1 not 8+1...now if we are talking fullsize thats another story.
    You're kidding I hope...you ask anyone who has been there. Your accuracy at the range and ability to aim properly goes right out the window. It does matter, I don't want stray bullets going to unknown locations.

I love my Glocks as much as anyone, but a 1911 is in a class above IMO.
    Last edited by JD; July 15th, 2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Shoot what's best for you. I have no problem with 7+1 in my Officer UCII or 8+1 or 10+1(*chip power ten mag) in my full size Stainless II. In a CQB situation if you're say 3000 rounds of training and range time through a G30 it is a great great SD pistol. I'd love to have a G30 in the collection I just can't figure which Glock to get first, I'm very interested in one of the 10mm's. I use my girls G23 and it shoots pretty decent(combat accurate) after getting use to it. The 1911 though shoots with more precision and carries comfortably especially with a Aluminum framed one. I'm sure a MTAC will swallow a G30 easily. No matter which one you get make sure to carry at least one extra mag because all guns jam even the reliable Glock. Either can be limp-wristed in a scuffel. Be safe.

Cool

A ton of votes for a 1911 here.

In the early 80's, as a young buck Sgt in the Army, they handed me what I think was a 1911 to guard a prisoner...all I remember now is that it was a 45. I'll have to take a look because it's a pistol I haven't considered.

My price range is under 600.00. The gun will be strictly for concealed carry so, reliablity is the number one priority. The xd series in the 4 inch barrel sounds nice...so does the G30 and G36.

I am definitely very comfy with my G19...one in the pipe at all times.

I'm going to rent,borrow,handle what I can in the 45cal and go from there.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Kimber, Springfield, Colt, etc.

There are a ton of quality 1911's out there.

I like Kimbers myself, but Springfield, Colt, and many others are equally great !

You can't go wrong with a 1911.
    Attached Images

kpw
    The G36 carries exactly like the G19. Most holsters will work with either one. The G30 has similar dimensions to the G19 but is a bit thicker. In 1911s for carry, I like the CCO size. Commander length slide & Officer's grip frame. For $600, I'd go Glock over the 1911 though.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Senior Moderator
    Man! I'm glad I'm not having to make a decision about which .45 to buy - with all the great suggestions, I'd be as confused as before.

However, I really like the M&P .45. But the trigger is not what it could be and may be difficult to master. I have a Sig 220 Carry - fine gun, several 1911s - fine guns but a bit heavy in steel.

Now for the dirty part - the Sig 250. If you buy it in .45, you can go to any caliber in any size by purchasing a $375 kit. I have a full size P250 .45, I'm thinking I'll get the 9mm full size kit. Practice a lot with 9mm, switch to the .45 version using the very same trigger group for both. Just hard to beat that.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Ruger P345... always goes bang, fits like a glove. Only 8+1, but as far as stopping potential, should equal or excede 17+1 of 9mm.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redfish443 View Post
    Ever look at the Taurus line?
    http://www.taurususa.com/pistols.cfm
    You came to the right board, I am sure you will get a ton of Taurus recommendations on this thread. 8-)
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links