Been thinking about a 45 lately - Page 3

Been thinking about a 45 lately

This is a discussion on Been thinking about a 45 lately within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tangle Man! I'm glad I'm not having to make a decision about which .45 to buy - with all the great suggestions, ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Been thinking about a 45 lately

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Man! I'm glad I'm not having to make a decision about which .45 to buy - with all the great suggestions, I'd be as confused as before.

However, I really like the M&P .45. But the trigger is not what it could be and may be difficult to master. I have a Sig 220 Carry - fine gun, several 1911s - fine guns but a bit heavy in steel.

Now for the dirty part - the Sig 250. If you buy it in .45, you can go to any caliber in any size by purchasing a $375 kit. I have a full size P250 .45, I'm thinking I'll get the 9mm full size kit. Practice a lot with 9mm, switch to the .45 version using the very same trigger group for both. Just hard to beat that.
    I have seen your shooting videos and you are a fine shooter, but I must say that I have owned both guns and the P250 is just not as accurate as the M&P for me. I just could not get past the LONG DA trigger. Needles to say, that sig is no longer with us...... I wanted to love it, but just couldn't. I am afraid they will be discontinued in the next year or so based upon some of the rumors I have heard.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    You came to the right board, I am sure you will get a ton of Taurus recommendations on this thread. 8-)
    Do not even go there!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Many would say the 1911 is the best combat pistol ever. You do want a gun you shoot well and it's hard to beat a 1911 in that category. There is a reason the same basic design has been used as long as it has.

IMO.
    I agree with you. 1911 in .45, and BHP in 9mm; when only the best is good enough
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

By comparison

The G36 is light and holds either 6+1 or 7+1 with an extension. The G30 holds 10+1, I believe. The 1911 with a Commander slide on an Officer's frame is also fairly light and holds 7+1. That makes a great carry package. I have the first and third guns described and personally shoot the 1911 version much better. The trigger, which aids in accuracy, is much better on the 1911. Both carry and conceal very easily OWB. I don't carry my Commander where I think it will get scratched or dirty, if I can help it. That is what the G36 is for. I carry they G36 when I hog hunt in the brush or when it might rain. If it gets dirty, you can literally wash it out and go.

As has been suggested, try both guns and see which one works best for you. That is the real test. If it came down to the last shot and I had to make it count, I would go with the 1911 every time. I trust it that much.

Ugh... I've been struggling with the same choice, 1911 clone or HK45 or USP (had two in 40) or M&P/Grock/FNP/XDm .
    BUT I think the end result is the same-rounds down range. My concern is training and trigger time after I get my .45.
    Not so much my concern as dealing with my unobsessive better half (unless I am obsessing then she gets obsessed with my time)

One more vote for the 1911, I carry a CBOB daily which is a commander size 1911 with a 4.25" barrel made by Dan Wesson. I also carry full size 1911's all ride in Milt Sparks VM II's and are very comfortable and easy to conceal. Like someone else said the 1911 is in a class by them selves.

glock 30-excellent.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Man! I'm glad I'm not having to make a decision about which .45 to buy - with all the great suggestions, I'd be as confused as before.

However, I really like the M&P .45. But the trigger is not what it could be and may be difficult to master. I have a Sig 220 Carry - fine gun, several 1911s - fine guns but a bit heavy in steel.

Now for the dirty part - the Sig 250. If you buy it in .45, you can go to any caliber in any size by purchasing a $375 kit. I have a full size P250 .45, I'm thinking I'll get the 9mm full size kit. Practice a lot with 9mm, switch to the .45 version using the very same trigger group for both. Just hard to beat that.
    The M&P can have an excellent trigger. Just get an aftermarket sear, I forget the brand that everyone recommends. Anyway that setup is very good IMO.\

Quote Originally Posted by jfrey View Post
    The G36 is light and holds either 6+1 or 7+1 with an extension. The G30 holds 10+1, I believe. The 1911 with a Commander slide on an Officer's frame is also fairly light and holds 7+1. That makes a great carry package. I have the first and third guns described and personally shoot the 1911 version much better. The trigger, which aids in accuracy, is much better on the 1911. Both carry and conceal very easily OWB. I don't carry my Commander where I think it will get scratched or dirty, if I can help it. That is what the G36 is for. I carry they G36 when I hog hunt in the brush or when it might rain. If it gets dirty, you can literally wash it out and go.

As has been suggested, try both guns and see which one works best for you. That is the real test. If it came down to the last shot and I had to make it count, I would go with the 1911 every time. I trust it that much.
    I used to be like that with my 1911, now I decided that it's too nice a gun not to carry. I mean it's bobtailed, reliable as hell, shoots POA (if I do my part), even came with Night Sights from the factory. It was made for carry so I carry it about every day. Sometimes my Glock 23 gets to go with me, depends on what I'm wearing because some of my clothing is not as good for CCW with a larger firearm than a G23 which isn't really small either. It is a lot shorter in the grip area than the 1911 which is what I sometimes cannot conceal enough. So I carry my Dan Wesson CBOB everywhere I can without hesitation. I've even taken it on the boat with the salt spray etc and immediately took it to the range next day without cleaning it to see what would happen. No problems to report. I'm also buying an Ed Brown exclusively to be my new 1911 carry gun. An expensive gun, but like I said... Too nice not to carry. It's made for it.

As someone told me on these forums, "I won't own a gun I wouldn't carry". That stuck on me, I thought it was a pretty good slogan. I mean every gun is made to shoot. I've also been very practical in what I purchase, meaning I don't have a huge collection. Every gun I purchase fills a niche for me.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Carrying a weapon for defense - it's such a purpose driven action, why would you choose a weapon based on "liking" an option? The option is to carry the weapon with which you're most proficient, that will fire reliably the highest percent of the time, and that's of a caliber that will penetrate through at least 12 inches of soft tissue. Presumably, you're already proficient with your Glock, Glocks are notoriously reliable, and the 9mm will penetrate deep enough perform it's stated mission. If you feel a need to change, stay with the action you know, so you can enhance your skills, as opposed to needing to learn them all over again. A 1911 will take a lot of training to master - external controls, different grip angle, different trigger - and the skills needed to carry a concealed weapon cocked and locked shouldn't be underestimated. On top of all that, the terminal ballistics of a .45 aren't significantly more impressive than a 9mm. If you must spend some money, a Glock 23 .40 or a Glock 32 .357 Sig will bring a lot more pain to the party than your current weapon or your current dream gun, and it's an action you've already begun to master.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    I have a G19 but, I'd like the option of carrying a 45acp from time to time. I'd like to try something no bigger than the G19. Any suggestions?
    Assuming from your military experience that you have shot a .45 already, go for it. It's still the best combat-proven manstopper bullet out there, both on the battlefields and in the streets.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    As for my .45 ACP, I still use the economical and compact S&W Model 457, even though they ceased its production last year. I can still get parts and accessories for it though.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Many would say the 1911 is the best combat pistol ever. You do want a gun you shoot well and it's hard to beat a 1911 in that category. There is a reason the same basic design has been used as long as it has.

You're kidding I hope...you ask anyone who has been there. Your accuracy at the range and ability to aim properly goes right out the window. It does matter, I don't want stray bullets going to unknown locations.

I love my Glocks as much as anyone, but a 1911 is in a class above IMO.
    I think he only meant the difference between the accuracy of the two pistols, not accuracy as a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis50 View Post
    A ton of votes for a 1911 here.

In the early 80's, as a young buck Sgt in the Army, they handed me what I think was a 1911 to guard a prisoner...all I remember now is that it was a 45. I'll have to take a look because it's a pistol I haven't considered.

My price range is under 600.00. The gun will be strictly for concealed carry so, reliablity is the number one priority. The xd series in the 4 inch barrel sounds nice...so does the G30 and G36.

I am definitely very comfy with my G19...one in the pipe at all times.

I'm going to rent,borrow,handle what I can in the 45cal and go from there.
    I have carried an XD45acp for several years. I have owned a Springfield 1911 GI and am sick that I sold it. However, when it came down to a choice of a keeper, I still have the XD45acp. I love it. Fine gun. However, you being accustomed to Glock, I would suggest sticking with what you know. A 1911 is definitely a pistol I recommend every gun owner to own at least once but, in today's world of very reliable composite guns, I don't see them as the finest carry gun anymore. Capacity can make a difference and getting a 1911 up to par with rounds means real long magazines.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

RKM
    A Glock 30 would be perfect since you're familiar with Glock's. A 1911 certainly isn't a bad choice. They're thinner and much more comfortable to conceal IWB. But then there is the Glock 36, but it's only 6+1. Either choice is great. A Glock will probably be cheaper.

Also, Kahr makes the PM45 which is very tinny, though I hear it's a handful! Pretty expensive (new) as well.

Checkout the Rock Island line of 1911, and the price is right.

I like G19s and 1911s both but carry most of the time a P3AT for its deep concealment ability.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    XD .45 Compact is about the same size as the 19 or 23.
    Proud NRA member

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links