Been thinking about a 45 lately - Page 4

Been thinking about a 45 lately

This is a discussion on Been thinking about a 45 lately within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You've already got a Glock, and a good one at that. Given your price range, check out a RIA or Taurus 1911, or a milspec ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Been thinking about a 45 lately

You've already got a Glock, and a good one at that.

Given your price range, check out a RIA or Taurus 1911, or a milspec Springfield.

1911s don't require a doctorate to operate; they're very intuitive, and their single action triggers have yet to be rivaled.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by halesb View Post
    There are a ton of quality 1911's out there.

I like Kimbers myself, but Springfield, Colt, and many others are equally great !

You can't go wrong with a 1911.
    Nice looking Kimber. I love my Kimber Ultra 2, very nice pistols IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    All major 1911 manufacturers have "commander" length slide options they just don't all call them that... I am a Springfield guy and they call them "champion" I would look at the lightweight loaded champion or the operator champion. They'll have the night sights, tunings, and extras out of the box. Mine is a lightweight full size weighs around 40 oz loaded, the G30 would be about 34 loaded. The working width wear your belt goes on a 1911 is less than .9 inches, the G30 is 1.25"... Since you don't have either, I would shoot the G30 and if you like it go with it. My issue is I have a 1911 shoot it well, am comfortable with it... haven't shot G30, the ones I've held don't feel just right in my hand (though I haven't shot it) and is 2 rounds worth spending 500+ $ I don't have right now... eaither way I think you'll do fine but don't forget about the Sig line, XD, etc... worth a look!
    The Champion is 7 Round mag, not 8 round like the other commanders
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Your accuracy at the range and ability to aim properly goes right out the window.
    You kind of just made my point...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    but I consider that if nine .45 cal rounds are not enough then that person is living a very rough life. You can also carry an extra mag in case of malfunctions.
    We have robbing "crews" around here. 3-6 in a group. I like my 15+1 FNP 45 just fine. With a couple spare mags, I've got nearly a whole box of ammo on my person.

I've never heard anyone that was in a gunfight say that they wish they had carried less ammo.

And it can be carried cocked and locked and SA like a 1911, or DA first shot with no safety. And it's fully ambi. It's quite a pistol.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

One more vote for the Glock-36 here...
    If you just pick one up, the grip WILL surprise you. My nephew-in-law is a cop and carries a Glock-19. When he picked up my Glock-36, he had this stunned look on his face and said, "This is a .45?"
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    It may "ship" with a seven round magazine, his point was, they will accept flush fit 8 round magazines.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

OP-

Oh boy...1911 vs Glock, 9mm vs .45 ACP...

Really, you already have one of the finest combat guns made in your G19. Maybe spend the money on practice and professional training? Just an idea.

The math has been done by the IWBA...a .45 has a 4-7% chance of just nicking something vital that a 9mm barely misses. If you feel that is worth the trade-off in terms of ammo capacity, cost of practice ammo, speed of follow-up shots, etc - then get the .45.

Me? I'm quite happy with 9mm. "The only time you can have too much ammo is when you are drowning or on fire."

As far as the much-discussed grip width and overall width of the 1911 vs the Glock...I put a G26 next to a RIA 1911 at the gun store a few weeks ago. The grip on the 1911 was WIDER than the grip on the Glock. The difference is in the cross-section - the Glock grip is more of a rectangle, while the 1911 grip is more of an oval. The 1911 FEELS slimmer, but it is NOT. Factor in the safety levers, and a 1911 is no slimmer overall than a Glock.

You are also used to the manual-of-arms of the Glock. If you really want to get a .45, I would suggest a .45 Glock, or similar striker-fired pistol.

Good luck, and shoot before you buy!
    Last edited by 10thmtn; July 16th, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have recently purchased 2 45's. One is the Rock island 1911 CS (3.5 in barrel) and a S&W 45 1911 with 5 inch barrel. I have always wanted a 1911 platform and the truth is, if you buy one, you WILL buy another. The RI has been 100% performer and seems to be the best buy in a 1911 format. I know folks say they are "cheap" but I prefer the term inexpensive. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger which in my main objective. The 1911 platform is totally sexy to me (e.g. great looking weapon) and life is to short to go through it with an ugly gun...lol. Glocks are perfectly fine weapon systems and you couldnt go wrong with one of them. Choice is a great thing and hunting for a weapon is part of the fun. I wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    It comes with 2; 7 round mag's but will take the 8 round mags and still sit flush.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I was always a wheel gun guy until about 15 years ago. Now it is a 1911 in condition one. My choice is for a Kimber Ultra CDP II 45acp or 9mm I have both.also carry at times a Kimber Eclipse Custom II. Which ever one I carry will be in a Milt Sparks VM II holster on a Beltman belt. Had some Glocks ,they are good shooters,but not as accurate,for me anyway, as my 1911's.Still have a G26 that will be sold.Also have a Kimber Pro Raptor II stainless on order.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OP-

Oh boy...1911 vs Glock, 9mm vs .45 ACP...

Really, you already have one of the finest combat guns made in your G19. Maybe spend the money on practice and professional training? Just an idea.

The math has been done by the IWBA...a .45 has a 4-7% chance of just nicking something vital that a 9mm barely misses. If you feel that is worth the trade-off in terms of ammo capacity, cost of practice ammo, speed of follow-up shots, etc - then get the .45.

Me? I'm quite happy with 9mm.

As far as the much-discussed grip width and overall width of the 1911 vs the Glock...I put a G26 next to a RIA 1911 at the gun store a few weeks ago. The grip on the 1911 was WIDER than the grip on the Glock. The difference is in the cross-section - the Glock grip is more of a rectangle, while the 1911 grip is more of an oval. The 1911 FEELS slimmer, but it is NOT. Factor in the safety levers, and a 1911 is no slimmer overall than a Glock.

You are also used to the manual-of-arms of the Glock. If you really want to get a .45, I would suggest a .45 Glock, or similar striker-fired pistol.

Good luck, and shoot before you buy!
    Good points sir.

I've spent some dough on defensive/tactical handgun classes but, I want more.

In the end, i'll probably end up with a Glock or a similar platform mostly because of simplicity of operation, familiarity and price.

The G19 is my first and only gun. It came highly recomended by my first instructor when I knew zero about the subject. He listened well when I explained why I wanted to carry.

As I move slowly through the process, I'm very confident that he was dead on and that is a good feeling.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

There is nothing wrong with owning and being proficient with multiple weapon platforms and calibers. I suggest it. I rotate carry of my glocks, revolvers, BHP, and 1911. Whatever I feel like for that day. I also train with all of them. But if it came down to me having to grab one handgun, it is going to be my G29SF.

for self defense and after trying many firearms, If glock 19 was the only firearm I could have, i'd be happy, but of course I want more
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I have a Kimber Custom II TLE/RL and a G30. My vote for SD for you is a G30 for the following reasons:

1. Simple manual of arms. You already own a Glock. No new manual of arms to learn. Glocks are simple by design. 1911's a bit more to learn and remember in a SD situation. ie thumb safety

2. Reliability and simplicity. Some 1911 weapons can be finicky about ammo and maintenance Glocks not so much

3. Cost. G30 wins over most good 1911.s ie Kimber Colt, SA etc. A G30 fits your 600 dollar budget for the moist part.

4. G21 mags can be used for a 13 +1 capacity

5. G30 is a bit blockier in feel but not a deal breaker IMO. G30 weight be less than an all steel 1911.. Lightweight 1911's cost more.

6. G19 and G30 similar in size except G30 slightly wider
    Consider the G30SF as well. slightly smaller grip.

If the above are not compelling reasons, go for a good 1911. I love my Kimber but a G30 fits your needs better IMO.

My .02 YMMV.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links