Been thinking about a 45 lately

This is a discussion on Been thinking about a 45 lately within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL The 1911 is the finest combat pistol ever made, and comes in .45. Everybody should own at least one. I'm partial ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Been thinking about a 45 lately

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    The 1911 is the finest combat pistol ever made, and comes in .45. Everybody should own at least one. I'm partial to Springfield Armory's models myself. It's also a slim and easy to conceal pistol. Do you have any specific price range you are trying to stay within?
    I agree...

I've been looking at 1911-style pistols for a while. Then I shot my Dad's P220....I've still got the SIGness.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

2. Remove Ads

I have a Colt commercial.45, and a Para 13/45. Both great guns..I am currently arguing with my demons about getting a Glock 36. It is slim, light and only a 7 shot...but it is 7 shots of .45. I love the no saftey aspect, and having 2 other Glocks, reliability is not a concern. I've considered the G30, but if I want high cap vs. concealabilty, I have the Para. Let me know what you end up with and why..it'll help me decide. If I beat you to it, I'll do the same
    btw, I saw in the last G&A that remington has a new 1911 .45 on the market...looks great!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Love the 45acp for SD! I am really thinking about a compact 1911 soon been looking at kimbers.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

XD .45 ACP compact or the M&P.

Get them all I just sold a HK 45c and I have a HK45, a USP 45 Tactical, and 5 1911's including Nighthawk (two more coming), a VBOB, Benny Hill, Springer and have owned Wilson, many Kimbers (none now), Brown and have owned 2 M&P 45's and a Glock 21. Now, to clear a few things up, there is no way a compact Glock is more of a combat handgun than the 1911. Also, the standard now is 8 rounds. If a full size frame 1911 comes with 7 round mags, buy some 8 rounders. I have dozens of the Wilson 47's. You can buy the 10 rounders also that hang out a little bit.

Now, I love them all, so I"ll buy anything that feels good and is reliable. I have my preferences, but those are MY preferences, I won't say it's what anyone else NEEDS. My suggestion is to keep it with the best companies like Sig, Glock, HK, Springfield, S&W's M&P line, Wilson, Nighthawk, Brown, Baer, etc.

Do not let capacity determine anything, within reason. I have my 1911's that hold 8 rounds, my HK that holds 12 and had a Glock that held 13. I carry the 1911 because I can put the FIRST round and all the others exactly where I want them faster than I can with the others. I can get a near perfect grip every time from the holster, I can't do that as well with the HK or Glock. I shoot every day or two and run a timer quite often. No matter what I do, I'm faster and more accurate with the 1911. I also carry a Sig 226 or 229 in 9mm at times, so as much I love 1911's, I use other platforms.

Now, the most important advice I can give is this... The next time someone says this or that is a better choice than a 1911, ask them how many of each they've owned, how many tens of thousands of rounds they have through EACH platform and how much work they've done on each personally. The answer to those questions will tell you how much their advice is worth. I can't tell you how many have made themselves look like idiots saying this or that about the 1911, then come to find out they don't or have never even owned one!! WHAT THE HECK?? It's already happened in this particular thread.

The 19 is a very fine weapon and is a great carry gun. I would try to keep it if you can. Now, for 45, take a look at the M&P line. Take a look at the Sig 220, the HK 45c, the Commander sized 1911. I do not recommend 3" 1911's. If you do get one, keep up on your springs. The Commander is hardly any larger for IWB and is more reliable in most cases. Good luck with whatever you get and watch who you're getting advice from, make sure they actually have some experience in the matter and aren't just running their mouths. I can't stand that, people talking about guns they've barely ever shot and why what they carry is better... Give me a break
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Get them all I just sold a HK 45c and I have a HK45, a USP 45 Tactical, and 5 1911's including Nighthawk (two more coming), a VBOB, Benny Hill, Springer and have owned Wilson, many Kimbers (none now), Brown and have owned 2 M&P 45's and a Glock 21. Now, to clear a few things up, there is no way a compact Glock is more of a combat handgun than the 1911. Also, the standard now is 8 rounds. If a full size frame 1911 comes with 7 round mags, buy some 8 rounders. I have dozens of the Wilson 47's. You can buy the 10 rounders also that hang out a little bit.

Now, I love them all, so I"ll buy anything that feels good and is reliable. I have my preferences, but those are MY preferences, I won't say it's what anyone else NEEDS. My suggestion is to keep it with the best companies like Sig, Glock, HK, Springfield, S&W's M&P line, Wilson, Nighthawk, Brown, Baer, etc.

Do not let capacity determine anything, within reason. I have my 1911's that hold 8 rounds, my HK that holds 12 and had a Glock that held 13. I carry the 1911 because I can put the FIRST round and all the others exactly where I want them faster than I can with the others. I can get a near perfect grip every time from the holster, I can't do that as well with the HK or Glock. I shoot every day or two and run a timer quite often. No matter what I do, I'm faster and more accurate with the 1911. I also carry a Sig 226 or 229 in 9mm at times, so as much I love 1911's, I use other platforms.

Now, the most important advice I can give is this... The next time someone says this or that is a better choice than a 1911, ask them how many of each they've owned, how many tens of thousands of rounds they have through EACH platform and how much work they've done on each personally. The answer to those questions will tell you how much their advice is worth. I can't tell you how many have made themselves look like idiots saying this or that about the 1911, then come to find out they don't or have never even owned one!! WHAT THE HECK?? It's already happened in this particular thread.

The 19 is a very fine weapon and is a great carry gun. I would try to keep it if you can. Now, for 45, take a look at the M&P line. Take a look at the Sig 220, the HK 45c, the Commander sized 1911. I do not recommend 3" 1911's. If you do get one, keep up on your springs. The Commander is hardly any larger for IWB and is more reliable in most cases. Good luck with whatever you get and watch who you're getting advice from, make sure they actually have some experience in the matter and aren't just running their mouths. I can't stand that, people talking about guns they've barely ever shot and why what they carry is better... Give me a break
    I had no problem getting shots on target with the Glock 30 or 1911 when I tried them out, nor did I find the Glock 30 grip cumbersome. that being said, I have not shot either pistols nearly as much as you have stated, maybe after 1000s of rounds the results would be different but as it stands now if I can shoot them both well and hold them both well...well..more rounds in a magazine can't hurt.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

There is nothing wrong with owning and being proficient with multiple weapon platforms and calibers
    I think that this is one of the best ways to become a better rounded shooter. Most people have different types, makes and models of defensive handguns.

You have a Glock, why not try something different, whether it's a 1911, a M&P, a Sig, or something else !

You could even go for one of these....

Smith 325.JPG
    Last edited by halesb; July 16th, 2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: pic added !

cmb
    "On top of all that, the terminal ballistics of a .45 aren't significantly more impressive than a 9mm. " (Carguy 2244)

Uh oh... here we go!

Hey.. I wasn't jumping on you about that in particular. More rounds can't hurt, you're correct, but a compact gun, even a Glock, will not be as accurate or as reliable in most cases. A striker fired gun is usually pretty fast for the first shot. Now, even with a trigger job, I cannot shoot a Glock or M&P as fast as a 1911. Many can, but when you start working the reset, especially on a properly worked 1911 trigger, you can get faster and faster with the gun. If you let the trigger all the way out, side by side there might not be as much difference.

When I talk about the speed of getting the first shot on target, I mean from the holster. For me and many guys I know that shoot often and have many different platforms, the 1911, from the holster, is one of the fastest guns out there. Run those targets out to 25 to 35 yards and you'll see an even greater spread in most cases, NOT ALL. Like I was saying, many won't notice a difference, but once you start working the trigger and releasing it only to the point of reset during recoil, you'll see an advantage. At 25 yards, you'll see it even more.

Now, I know guys that run Glocks that can shoot circles around me with my 1911s, so I'm not trying to say the 1911 dominates all others regardless of the shooter, but it does give you an edge that others can't and that's just the reality of it. I know many guys that are excellent shooters but don't take advantage of the reset on their triggers, they let it all the way out and loose that little extra they could possibly gain.

Not trying to argue for the 1911, just stating some facts about it that aren't realized or understood by many. If you are a serious shooter and invest time into it, many realize the advantage of the 1911. If one only shoot once in a while, it may not be that noticeable or even matter. If you go to the range and take your time for each shot, again it might not matter. If you fire strings of two, three, four, etc. as fast and accurate as possible, most will see the advantage. I hope I'm explaining all this correctly.

For example, I love my Sigs and HKs. I have the short trigger and SRT in all my Sigs and they're 9mm. I still can shoot a 1911 in 45 faster. Now, if I shoot the Sig 220 in 45 next to the 226 in 9mm, the timer shows a slight advantage for the 226. With the HKs, all but one of mine can be carried cocked and locked so it's pretty quick for the first shot, but it's the subsequent shots that are a hair slower than the 1911's. Most of this won't matter much in a fight for the average shooter, but it will matter in training and that can carry over in a fight. The more work required on the trigger to fire the gun (like a swinging motion or long reset) will affect accuracy or speed at some point for many shooters, not all, but many.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Here's a report on a HK45 on week 14 after 18,578 rounds from Todd's Pistol-Training.com site. At the first part of the story there's a little talk about 1911's and it hits a few points I mentioned.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/3314

Also shows what a great gun the HK45 is.

I have two 1911, one a series 70 full size, a 3 ultra carry II, a G19 and a CZ PCR.

I love my 1911s, but if I knew I was going to be in a fight with a handgun Id opt for the G19 on mag capacity and reliability alone. I do shoot the 1911 better.

For concealability I like the UCII but if youre running a 1911, especially a compact 1911 you need to have the knowledge of how the pistol works and how to properly maintain it. G19, the whole maintaining thing is easier.

As to the never ending battle of 45 vs 9mm my take it this, theyre handgun rounds, they are both underpowered, and in an edit on my statement above, if I knew for sure I was going to be in a gunfight Id be carrying a rifle.

Just my .02
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NE45 View Post
    I have two 1911, one a series 70 full size, a 3” ultra carry II, a G19 and a CZ PCR.

I love my 1911s, but if I knew I was going to be in a fight with a handgun I’d opt for the G19 on mag capacity and reliability alone. I do shoot the 1911 better.

For concealability I like the UCII but if you’re running a 1911, especially a compact 1911 you need to have the knowledge of how the pistol works and how to properly maintain it. G19, the whole maintaining thing is easier.

As to the never ending battle of 45 vs 9mm my take it this, they’re handgun rounds, they are both underpowered, and in an edit on my statement above, if I knew for sure I was going to be in a gunfight I’d be carrying a rifle.

Just my .02
    Thats why you buy a 10mm and get more KE than the 45 and capacity like a 9!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    Thats why you buy a 10mm and get more KE than the 45 and capacity like a 9!
    Actually, I think I'll just buy more ammo and shoot.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

A 1911 is my next pistol,looking at Rock Island Armory or SA Loaded for the cost. Capacity for me isnt as important as reliability,reason being that i live in NY with its wonderful 10 rd mag restrictions,so my thinking is... if i was to get into a gun fight,and i hope i dont,i want to be confident with my weapon,is another 2 rounds going to make a difference? Maybe,maybe not...but i feel training,practice,and accuracy is key.My 1911 will be my winter carry in a shoulder holster for my job,with 2 mags for backup...even though my math isnt that great....if i cant finish a battle with that many rounds....i dont need to carry.Good luck with your decision.

I am a .45 lover I have went from Ruger p90 to HK usp to taurus 845 to my current carry after much thought (and more money) Kimber ultra carry 2 if you know much about my previous guns a 1911 style kimber is quite different but after some retraining I absolutely love my Kimber.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links