CZ 75 Compact?

CZ 75 Compact?

This is a discussion on CZ 75 Compact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at a solid SA/DA .40 cal used for $400. No De- Cocker on this one, I like that, good trigger, well made ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: CZ 75 Compact?

CZ 75 Compact?

I am looking at a solid SA/DA .40 cal used for $400. No De- Cocker on this one, I like that, good trigger, well made ergonomic gun. What am I missing? Is this gun accurate and dependable? Thanks In Advance for your input, I have been looking for a Commander sized bottom feeder... Anybody have experience with this model?
    Last edited by Rightwing; July 15th, 2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Adding text
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Well, no decocker...to render it "safe" in DA you have to manually thumb the hammer down. Not long ago there was a post here about someone who had an ND while doing this and consequently sold the gun. I have fired one before, but admittedly only in SA mode at the range but it was a nice feeling gun that was easy to shoot accurately.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

A CZ 75, in any configuration, is one of the best combat hand guns in the world. It gained fame in the USA when Col. Jeff Cooper recognized it's durability, accuracy, and reliability. In fact, he designed the Bren Ten on the CZ 75 pattern - an ill fated commercial endeavor, but a great gun.
    I gave my son his 1st centerfire pistol in 1999, it was a CZ 75B, SA/DA, with a thumb safety and no decocker. He was 9 years old, and the weapon was never negligently discharged. The trick is not to pull the trigger until you want to shoot it. Extremely accurate, 100% reliable, and has been shoot over 30,000 rounds without a hiccup. Easy to strip and clean, feeds everything.
    This a great choice in every way. But it.
    candalos likes this.

Can I ask why it's advertised as DA/SA with no decocker? If you're meant to carry it Condition 1 like a 1911, isn't that SA? I know the trigger can function in DA, but it's my understanding that this is for second strike capability more than what we think of a traditional DA/SA system (thinking Sig here). Do I have it right?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Awesome gun, though I personally prefer the DA/SA with de-cocker. Carry and manipulate it as you would a 1911 and you'll have no issues.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    They run better than some 75Bs that have had issues with weak extractor springs in the past.

I actually like the duo-tone 75 Compacts.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Can I ask why it's advertised as DA/SA with no decocker? If you're meant to carry it Condition 1 like a 1911, isn't that SA? I know the trigger can function in DA, but it's my understanding that this is for second strike capability more than what we think of a traditional DA/SA system (thinking Sig here). Do I have it right?
    That's right. I had a fullsize and compact before I got rid of them for M&Ps, I think in the 5k I had through them I fired them in DA exactly once, and the pull was so crappy I never wanted to do it again.

It was a good gun, pretty good trigger, reliable, but heavy with little aftermarket support from large manufacturers and more maintenance intensive than modern polymer pistols.

Weapon can be carried hammer down or condition one. The lack of de-cocker doesn't preclude this from being SA/DA. First shot DA isn't a problem, but for those that feel otherwise, Mike Eagleshield from CZ-USA is the supreme CZ smith in the world, and he'll refine the trigger to 3lb SA and 9lb DA and smooth as silk.

I have always viewed the CZ75 as the 1911 of the rest of the world. It is a gun that you can carry cocked and locked, or hammer down DA to satisfy the European pansies. The rest of the world has historically been pro-9mm anyway, and the CZ platform eats just about anything you feed it. When I do carry mine, I carry it cocked and locked just like my 1911.

I have a stainless CZ75-B that I have installed the CZ85 combat trigger and the CZ custom shop competition hammer into. These two parts should fit the compact frame, too. These improvements really transform the gun into a very fast target eating machine. The stock hammer has really tall hooks which make for a lot of trigger creep, but keeps the lawyers happy.

I am a really big fan of CZ's, however I don't recommend anything they make in .40 S&W. If you really want a 75 compact, get the regular / original 9mm version. Whatever you do, don't buy until you test drive first because a large number of these do have FTF, FTE issues - mostly related to weak mag springs. They are also very susceptible to limp wristing.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

I have a PCR (CZ75D, DA/Decocker, 9mm). I quite like it. I'm not very accurate with it, but my accuracy with my SIG has waned a bit, too. I'm getting too comfortable with the Glock's DAO, I guess.
    Knowing is half the battle.

I have never found a pistol that would 100% reliably put the holes exactly where I wanted them as quickly as a CZ. I use and practice the DA first shot capability, but find cocked and locked extremely useful also. Why would I want a pistol that was either one or the other when I can have both.

In order to have the cocked and locked capability, I gladly give up a decocker. I decock manually when I load the pistol long before things could get stressful.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I have the very gun you describe

I have an all steel CZ75 Compact 40 with no decocker. It is one of a few guns that when you pick it up, you just grin and nod your head. Being all steel it feels solid and very balanced. It is extremely accurate and is on my list of keepers. I say jump on it you won't be sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    A CZ 75, in any configuration, is one of the best combat hand guns in the world.
    The quote pretty much sums it up for me, but I prefer 9mm over .40 and prefer a decocker, but a steel/alloy CZ in any flavor is very satisfying.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    CZ firearms have an outstanding reputation, as good as any other brand out there. Wouldn't hesitate to own one. As for the decocker--if you learn to lower the hammer properly, it's not an issue.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links