PARA WARTHOG .45 ACP, is it a good firearm???

This is a discussion on PARA WARTHOG .45 ACP, is it a good firearm??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by peteG30 Any 1911 platform less than a 4 inch barrel is just trouble..from my own experience from Kimber Ultras and a Colt ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: PARA WARTHOG .45 ACP, is it a good firearm???

Quote Originally Posted by peteG30 View Post
    Any 1911 platform less than a 4 inch barrel is just trouble..from my own experience from Kimber Ultras and a Colt Officers I used to own..
    These two never got that memo....

http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Z Squad View Post
    My son had the nighthawg. It kicked like a mule and the slide catch kept backing out of the frame when he fired it. He was a little unhappy after spending near $1,000 for it and have those issues. He quickly sold it and now has a Glock 30SF and is happy with it. I wouldn't take a para if you gave it to me.
    Could I ask a favor? If someone offers to give you any Para, please accept it and I will gladly take it off your hands. Hell I'll let you make a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by peteG30 View Post
    Any 1911 platform less than a 4 inch barrel is just trouble
    I wish this myth would just die already.

I've been very pleased with this little Colt New Agent.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    I wish this myth would just die already.
    Actually - it isn't a myth ... As a whole, the sub 4" 1911s generally do have more headaches. Not ALL of them malfunction - so you'll always have guys who don't believe this fact, and argue that theirs works fine. But smaller 1911s, especially smaller Kimbers, have a lot of problems as a whole...
    Bark'n likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccroom View Post
    I went to the local gun range today and to my surprise they had factory reps from prominate firearm and accesory manufactuers set up. They had this, you could shoot any firearm on display, five rounds $3. I shot the PARA WARTHOG and loved it. I sold my PT111 today and was going to sell my PT145 as a down payment toward something else. I was looking at a Colt, Springfield and now the PARA all of these in a compact 1911 style, any thoughts?
    Love my Warthog...I picked the stainless, so I would not have rust issues...Stainless can still pit, but as long as you wipe it down regular you will not have a problem... I've run over 1,000 round and no FTF issue....It has less recoil than my Glock 27 40cal....The weight of the stainless model also helps reduce muzzle flip.

I have had several Para's over the course of my shooting experiences, both 9mm and 45 ACP. For one reason or another, all have been traded off except one. I have owned a P10-45 stainless for several years and have no idea of the round count, zero malfunctions. It's gun has been worked by Cylinder & Slide so, I shouldn't give all the credit to Para because I'm sure most of the reliability is a result of the great work from C&S. As to the customer service from Para...I'm hot and cold on that. I think it totally depends on the rep you get. Some experiences were good, some not so good.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Not sure of the barrel length of the Warthog as I've never shot one.

I've had a P-12 for about 25 years which has a 3.5" barrel. It has an all steel frame instead of an alloy frame so it's definitely a chunk of metal to carry around. As someone else has said, it's been a bit finicky with certain hollow points, but I've never had it "throated and polished" which would likely fix it's dislike for certain hollow points.

I haven't carried it in years though, and when I do carry a .45 I opt for my Colt Officers model due to comfort factor. Same size barrel, but less weight and thinner in the grip, equals more comfort.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    I'd skip it
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    I've been hearing good things about the ATI GFX .45 - 4.25"

It might not be a gun that 1911 purists will care for... But for 389.00$ shipped i think it will definitely be my first foray into the 1911 world.

I have a Para Slim Hawg ( think Wart Hog with a single stack mag ) as my main EDC. It's been a good one. Para's customer service has come a long way in the past couple of years. For any problems you may have, I would suggest the Para section of 1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin One of Para's main people, Travis Thomasie, visits there very often, and does a great job.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

I had a Para GI LTC and it was a nice gun, never gave me any issues. Lots of guys with the warthog like them. But I have heard that series (and the slim hawg) have had issues with extractors, so if you do buy one, might want to send it off for a "reliability job" at a qualified smith before you drop it in the holster. One thing about Para I don't like is the lack of aftermarket sights. They use something like 3 or 4 proprietary dovetail cuts for their sights and makes finding replacements a nightmare!
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

smolck, the PXT Power Extractor was changed to a machined one two years ago. Para will send you a new one at no charge, and it's a drop in fit.
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Quote Originally Posted by MoMike View Post
    smolck, the PXT Power Extractor was changed to a machined one two years ago. Para will send you a new one at no charge, and it's a drop in fit.
    Maybe so, but I bought a Para Slim Hawg (owned it for a day or two) and it broke. And that was just a few months back. The guys at Para said they haven't gotten all of the bad ones out of circulation.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I have never owned a Para, but one of my good friends owned a GI 1911. And this thing had problems with FTF and FTE.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links