Ruger P89 Field Strip Issue

This is a discussion on Ruger P89 Field Strip Issue within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had this gun for several years and have only put 200 rounds or so through it. I have never cleaned it because I ...

I have had this gun for several years and have only put 200 rounds or so through it. I have never cleaned it because I can't get the damn slide off. I have read the instructions, watched eBay videos, you name it... I pull the slide stop all the way out, push the watchmacallit down in the mag well, etc.. The slide just refuses to come forward and off. I can only get it to move maybe a half inch. Any suggestions?

Hey LeadPoison, I have a P89DC from many years back and I think it has the same mechanism as yours. I get used to field stipping my Glock 19 and almost always forget one little step every when I go to clean my Ruger...

Pull back the slide and lock it in place. Then look down into the weapon from the ejector port and you'll see an ejector arm. This arm is on a hinge and rocks forward to about a 45 degree angle which allows the slide to pass over the top of it during slide removal. If you don't push this arm forward and down, the slide will not come off.

I did that and it still won't come off. I am at a loss on this one.

i'm about 12k miles from my ruger p85 so i can't exactly remember for sure. i know they come apart the same exact way. but iirc when you push down the ejector, it flips up some lever. i believe that lever also moves when you pull the trigger... i could be wrong, like i said i'm 12k miles from my p85 at the moment, otherwise i'd check to see if that was true.

i remember thinking about how similar my S&W was to my ruger when coming apart. the S&W, you could push down a lever similar to the P85. and also if you didn't want to push it down, you could aim in a safe direction and fire just like almost every other striker fire type gun.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Do you have a manual for it?
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/ruger_p89...ual_safety.pdf
    There are 3 different manual versions depending on your pistol.

Looks like the disassembly is same as my P94. Did you pull out the slide stop with the barrel link guide rod? Rugers are pretty tuff, maybe you just need to give it a tap to loosen it up.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, just re-read your post.
    All there is to my P94 is:
    Magazine out.
    Pull slide all way back.
    safety/decocker in down position.
    push down ejector.
    align index marks on slide and frame.
    pull out slide stop til it clicks, do not pull it all the way out.
    slide should come off the front easily.

If you need to, take it to a smith and watch them do it for future reference. Good luck to you.
    Last edited by Brady; July 19th, 2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: addition
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I have a P-89 and the same problem. I took it to my local gun shop and the slide didn't come off until the weapon was inadvertantly dropped.

The problem and the solution is with the recoil spring and the guide rod.

The recoil spring has a narrow end and a wider end. You need to push the NARROW end onto the guide rod. If the wide end is push on the slide will jam. You can eventually get it off by giggling and pushing and pulling. It is FRUSTRATION to the n-th degree. Been through this several times until my son-in-law put me straight on this.

From the manual - section on reassembly: 3. Replace guide rod and recoil spring assembly (the smaller diameter end of
    spring against collar) into position.

Good luck!

I have a P89 and don't have the issues you have. Here are some videos with detailed instructions. Hope they help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSX26zcv2B8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7NTX0zkQ7M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOSHF...eature=channel

P89 slide will not come off during dis-assembly

+1 on the spring

I just dis-assembled my used P89 for the first time (have not fired it yet)
    The slide would not come off.
    The guys at the local gun shop could not diss-assemble it.

I spent an hour googling it, and found that the spring is the most likely problem.
    More force removed the slide.
    Reversing the spring fixed it. The slide comes off with no effort now.

Quote Originally Posted by rangefinder View Post
    The problem and the solution is with the recoil spring and the guide rod.

The recoil spring has a narrow end and a wider end. You need to push the NARROW end onto the guide rod. If the wide end is push on the slide will jam. You can eventually get it off by giggling and pushing and pulling. It is FRUSTRATION to the n-th degree. Been through this several times until my son-in-law put me straight on this.

From the manual - section on reassembly: 3. Replace guide rod and recoil spring assembly (the smaller diameter end of
    spring against collar) into position.

Good luck!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by LeadPoison View Post
    I have had this gun for several years and have only put 200 rounds or so through it. I have never cleaned it because I can't get the damn slide off. I have read the instructions, watched eBay videos, you name it... I pull the slide stop all the way out, push the watchmacallit down in the mag well, etc.. The slide just refuses to come forward and off. I can only get it to move maybe a half inch. Any suggestions?
    I've never had a problem with the P90, which is set up just the same.

Hmm.

drop the mag. latch the slide open. Reach through the ejection port and push the ejector forward and down. (It's hinged at the bottom). It should stay forward.

Now ease the slide forward. From the slide fully forward position, push the slide back an eighth of an inch or so to take pressure off the slide stop. Then push the slide stop through from the right side, until it stops. It won't come all the way out.

Now, the barrel is no longer held in place by the slide stop pin through the barrel link. You should now be able to pull the slide, with barrel, guide rod and recoil spring, forward and off.

Thats why God made vices and hammers,if you have a plastic or rubber mallet I would use something to protect the finish in a vice and then if you gotta push down on the thingy to move the slide forward,use something that won't squirt blood then push down and whack it with a mallet til it gives up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I eventually did get the slide off. I had to take a towel and wrap the slide and pull and yank the ever living you know what out of it. Took quite some doing.

Since then it hasn't been bad at all to disassemble.

Links