G30/36

This is a discussion on G30/36 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I know this has been debated before, but I still am having a hard time deciding. The price is the same, and I hate ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G30/36

Question G30/36

Ok, I know this has been debated before, but I still am having a hard time deciding. The price is the same, and I hate to give up capacity, but being as how my aim is for concealability..I think the 36 is the way to go. Am I wrong? Is not 7 rounds of .45 enough? It's slimmer than my G27 and I love a .45, so who's had experience carrying and using these? Is the lower cap. worth the slimmer frame?
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

2. Remove Ads

You will have to decide if 7 is better than 10.The G36 is thinner and a little lighter.I really don't know what to tell you.I carry a G30 every day and don't find it uncomfortable at all.
    Clint Smith said a handgun isn't supposed to be comfortable,it's supposed to be comforting!

I really like the G-36 over the G-30 for concealed carry. I can live with the 7 rounds of .45 instead of 10. Tough choice your going to have to make. I also like the G-36 for shooting over the G-30 and that is what turned my head.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

G30 owner here.
    If you really want a concealed firearm i would go with the G36.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I really like the G-36 over the G-30 for concealed carry. I can live with the 7 rounds of .45 instead of 10. Tough choice your going to have to make. I also like the G-36 for shooting over the G-30 and that is what turned my head.
    you mean 7 instead of 11
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

It really comes down to what's most important to you? Concealment or capacity? Personally I would go with the 36 but my reasons might be different then yours. The reason I would want a 36 as it would allow me to carry a .45 without having to change much in the way I dress. I am a athletic build and wear fitted clothes. The thinness of the 36 lends it's self to my body and dress type. Now, If I didn't have a issue with wearing my shirts a size larger (as you may not) then I would go with the 30.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    Gosh, it really is a personal choice that we can't make for you.

I for one can't stand how the G-30 feels in my hand but I absolutely love my G-36!

I think round count is a non issue between these weapons.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

kpw
    I'd rather carry the 36 and shoot the 30. If it's for IWB, the 36 has a bit of an advantage. OWB and that advantage almost disappears with good gear.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Get the G36 and don't look back. When was the last time you needed 8+ rounds. If you feel you need more, carry a spare mag (or 2, 3, 4...).
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

cmb
    Yep very personal and they do feel different Ihave held both but shot neither. What are the specs? See if you can find a used one you can actually put in a holster and conceal... We think about this 7 vs 11 quite often but many people carry a Kahr micro, KT PF9, LCP, and snubbies ranging from 5 rounds of 38 to 8 rounds of 9mm... you've got 7 45's, if you can shoot it and have good training ans situational awareness what wrong with 7 45's.

I like them both but for me, I own a glock for capacity. If I was going to buy a .45 with low capacity I would go for a 1911 over the 36 all day long. Otherwise I would go with the 30 because it is more versatile. You can carry the 30 with 10+1 rounds and a couple 13 round 21 mags as backup and even get a mag sleeve for one of them so you can carry the 30 13+1 when you want to.

There are several differences between the G30 and G36 which you should be aware of before making your purchase. They are both subcompact Glocks but they are both "oddballs."

* The G36 is slimmer than all of the other subcompact Glocks.
    * The G30 is fatter than all of the other subcompact Glocks.
    * The G36 has a longer slide/barrel then any other subcompact Glocks.
    * The G30 has an optional SF (short frame) version with a re-contoured back grip for smaller hands.
    * The G30SF is a newer design with slimmer tolerances, this resulted in some notorious FRTB issues at first but seems they have been resolved. Be advised if you are buying an older used one though.
    * The G36 has a somewhat ugly grip bottom which is known to pinch fingers. There is a Pearce +0 extension to fix that without affecting height measured along the backstrap.
    * The G30 offers a Pearce +1 extension without affecting height measured along the backstrap.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Thanks for all the input, and I realize, it is a personal preference thing. My biggest concern is EDC, so I think the 36 will be the choice. I've handled both, and the 36 is sweet. I like alot of concealable firepower, and I think 7 .45's fits that discription. 11 is better, but it is a little fatter and harder to conceal. It will be an EDC, so I think slimmer is better. I appreciate the feedback and understand all of your reasons for either one. It's such a close call is the reason I'm asking in the first place. As said, I think it boils down to personal preference in the end, and I'm leaning toward concealability and comfort. Any other caliber would be a much harder choice, but the .45 in either config. makes me happy.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    There are several differences between the G30 and G36 which you should be aware of before making your purchase. They are both subcompact Glocks but they are both "oddballs."

* The G36 is slimmer than all of the other subcompact Glocks.
    * The G30 is fatter than all of the other subcompact Glocks.
    * The G36 has a longer slide/barrel then any other subcompact Glocks.
    * The G30 has an optional SF (short frame) version with a re-contoured back grip for smaller hands.
    * The G30SF is a newer design with slimmer tolerances, this resulted in some notorious FRTB issues at first but seems they have been resolved. Be advised if you are buying an older used one though.
    * The G36 has a somewhat ugly grip bottom which is known to pinch fingers. There is a Pearce +0 extension to fix that without affecting height measured along the backstrap.
    * The G30 offers a Pearce +1 extension without affecting height measured along the backstrap.
    What is the FRTB issue? failure to return to battery? If so, what years are you talking?

Yes failure to return to battery. There was an issue with the slide rubbing on the trigger bar which could eventually cause the slide to stick. There's at least 80 pages of discussion on it at Glocktalk, but I wouldn't worry about it if you're buying a new gun. Oh and PS, my personal vote goes to the G36.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links