My Fading Love Affair With Wheel Guns

This is a discussion on My Fading Love Affair With Wheel Guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I love revolvers. I love their looks. I love their history. The tighter the action, the faster my heart goes pitty-pat. I love snubbies. I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: My Fading Love Affair With Wheel Guns

Distinguished Member

My Fading Love Affair With Wheel Guns

I love revolvers. I love their looks. I love their history. The tighter the action, the faster my heart goes pitty-pat. I love snubbies. I especially love Colts and S&W's. I have always wanted the legendary Python. Just never had the bucks. A guy in Phoenix had a blued 4" for sale, LNIB, for $1100. Ohhhh, my heart. Wife would have kicked me out of the house. I've owned a few. I kept a S&W stainless 66-2 , 4" for five years. I sold it last summer. I sold all my wheel guns. Why? Because I stink when it comes to drawing, shooting, grouping, and reloading. I really do. The worst was the grouping and reloading. What a joke. I kept telling myself I would get better. I didnít. The final straw was the reloading. I've done strips and speed-loaders. No matter. It was all bad. And I kept thinking, with adrenalin leaking out my pores and dexterity in the toilet, what the bleep am I doing with a revolver when I can't get my hands to stop shaking?

Yes, I know what you're going to say. Practice, practice, practice. Biker does that stuff with his literal eyes closed. But I have a 7+1 and a 15+1 semi-auto. Squeeze my pinky and out comes the mag. My left forefinger guides the second mag home. Done. I group better too. Far better.

So that's my sad story and I'm stickin' to it. I love wheel guns. I just can't shoot them worth a bleep.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

los
    You did the right thing. You should NEVER carry a weapon you're not proficient with.

Glad the semi-auto platform worked out for you.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Administrator
    Years ago I sold all of mine off. Well, almost all. I kept a Stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag for myself + a little NAA mini .22 and Mrs. QK has a J-Frame S&W Centennial that I strap on occasionally. I am not a wheel gun guy anymore so I figured why not sell them off and let somebody else shoot them.
    It's not that I don't like revolvers....(especially high quality revolvers) but, I would rather carry and shoot semi-automatic handguns.

I just have a natural affinity for semi-automatic pistols. Mine are all ultra-reliable and not problematic or finicky.
    I certainly don't see anything wrong with folks being "wheel gun people" and having a personal preference for revolvers.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

My S&W 686 is at a hunting friend of mines and I think he will be taking it perminately. I gave my S&W 36 pinned barrel to my daughter. My wife carries the S&W 638. The Model 10, 19, 66 and Colt Python are long gone replaced by A S&W 6906 and more than one Glock. I just bought a Diamondback .380 last week for a duty BUG. With that said I have never shot a gun combat style better than a K-frame S&W. If only a semi-auto would point as well for me. The times they are a changing.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

At this point in my life I have several semi-auto pistols and an S&W 638 revolver. I prefer the semi-autos but just felt that I needed to own at least one wheel gun. Obviously, they have a feel and look all their own but there's something about a revolver that I like and just feel comfortable with.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

I have to agree, if you don't like it and can't shoot it....get rid of it. But a S&W 66? does'nt get much better than that!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Ex Member
    Wow! I just went the other direction. I sold all but one pistol, that sits in a safe, and now have a few wheel guns that get carry use, and HD duty. Guess it's what works best for each of us.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Wow! I just went the other direction. I sold all but one pistol, that sits in a safe, and now have a few wheel guns that get carry use, and HD duty. Guess it's what works best for each of us.
    Yup. After 27 years of carrying autos, I finally got rid of most (kept a few vintage 1911s) of mine and started packing my first carry revolver, a S&W j-frame model 40. It exceeds my CCW primary objectives.

I've had the same issues with my revolver.
    Compared to my groupings with my Glock, I don't shoot my Charter "Off Duty" nearly as well. Mind you, I shoot it well enough. At 21' it's the difference between a dinner plate, and a dessert plate.
    There are other considerations, for me at least. So, for the time being, it's still the "wheel gun".
    Be safe.

My feeling

about this is each has its purpose. I carry a pistol for use as a CCW. But I still like the wheel guns, like to shoot them and in some cases I had to carry one. So I still have a .38 and a .22 just for plinking.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I really, really miss my .41 Mag Blackhawk. Loved the gun, loved the cartridge. Wish I still had it. But push come to shove, I'll reach for a semiauto. One of these days I'll get another .41 BH.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    All of the nice revolvers that are being dumped by the semi-auto folks are getting snatched up by the wheel-gun appreciators and all of the wheel-gun people making those unwanted pistols available for purchase by the semi-auto aficionados....sounds like a plan to me.
    aznav likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I like them all. Was a long-term wheel gun guy exclusively and just got into semis the last couple of years. I practice with all of them and shoot them all fine. It just comes down to what I feel like carrying. I do shoot the semis better, higher capacity, and quicker re-loads...but I can't give up my revolvers. I guess they just run too deep in my veins.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    All of the nice revolvers that are being dumped by the semi-auto folks are getting snatched up by the wheel-gun appreciators and all of the wheel-gun people making those unwanted pistols available for purchase by the semi-auto aficionados....sounds like a plan to me.
    Luf is like a sohckle...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It helps keep the economy moving. But don't tell the Prez; he'll claim credit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links