How Snubby and Why?

How Snubby and Why?

This is a discussion on How Snubby and Why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering my first wheelie: the M&P 360 3-inch barrel with a shrouded (Bodyguard) hammer. Snubbies have their advantages. How much does a 3-inch barrel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

How Snubby and Why?

I'm considering my first wheelie: the M&P 360 3-inch barrel with a shrouded (Bodyguard) hammer.
    Snubbies have their advantages.
    How much does a 3-inch barrel sacrifice snubby advantage for more accurracy and longer powder burn for muzzle energy?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I believe that the 3" - 3-1/2" bbl is a good compromise between concealibility and accuracy/velocity. Then again the wheelies I have carried (27, 3-1/2", GP100, 3" are not considered "snubbys" or belly guns.

I just bought a Ruger SP101 and had the option of a 2", 3", or 4" barrel. I chose the 3" for a bit longer sight radius, but no problem for CC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Don't forget what these are for....up close and personal...God forbid....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hudsonvalley View Post
    Don't forget what these are for....up close and personal...God forbid....

That said, for the purpose of close-quarter self defense, from getting the revolver into the fight, its presentation, through neutralizing a threat less than two arms' lengths away, what issues do you consider in comparing a two-inch barrel to a three-inch barrel?

Are you saying that three inches is too long for some situations?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Incremental Advantage

There is clearly a difference between a 3 inch revolver and one with 2 or 2.5 inch barrel. The longer gun gives you somewhat more muzzle velocity with given ammo, and a slightly longer sight radius for aiming. It will also weigh a little more and balance differently. I would guess that in most defensive uses of the snubby that barrel length difference won't really effect the outcome of the incident. But it might help you a little bit in some cases.

Personally I don't worry about it. I have model 66 snubbies in 2.5 and 3.0 inches, and I usually carry the shorter one. I find that I can shoot both lengths with equal accuracy and the 3 incher is more valuable and sort of a safe queen.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Ex Member
    I use pocket, or ankle, carry with my 2 inch snubbies. My 3 inchers go on the belt.

I think if its gonna be a multiple duty revo, for instance HD, range, and CC, then the 3" is a good middle ground. If its gonna be CC only, I don't really think the little extra bit of barrel is gonna matter much shooting someone at 10'.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

2" or 3" really comes down to intended use(s) and personal preference. In SD distances, either will work just fine.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The 3"s are definitely not pocket guns. I like the ability to wear on the belt or in my pocket.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    If it has a 3" barrel then it's not a Snubbie. The 3" barrel simply makes it a revolver with a barrel too long for it to be termed a snubbie.
    Just my personal opinion on that.
    If you want it for up close and personal self-defense then there is no advantage to having the longer barrel especially with the low muzzle flash SD ammo available today.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I agree with several of the other members here, you realistically will not see much improvement in performance between the 2 or 2.5" vs. 3" but it WILL make a difference in comfort and methods of carry. As for performance, with the recent introduction of the various rounds designed specifically for short barreled revolvers there really isn't much reason I personally wouldn't go with the shorter barrel. I routinely carry either a S&W 442 or a customized Colt Agent, and with the aforementioned rounds I certainly have no problems with performance at realistic ranges if I do my part. Best regards-John

I've got a Smith Model 60 2 inch with CT grips and love it. The laser allows me to put rounds where I want, and I don't worry about the short barrel affecting accuracy: I figure any attack on my person will happen at close range.. I put the pistol in my pocket in a pocket holster in the summer time and forget it's there. I practice with 38 and carry 357. With only five rounds I want the first shot to do a lot of damage.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

los
    pogo2,

Not sure whats nicer. Your pair of 66s or your photography.

To the OP, as other members have commented, accuracy at CQB distances will be negligible between a snubbie and a 3" revolver. Ease of concealment will be virtually identical.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I love my J-frame. Perfect for what I use it for: Pocket carry when I'm not able (or willing) to carry the XD. Very easy for me to point-shoot at reasonable SD ranges.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links