Bye bye kimber

This is a discussion on Bye bye kimber within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CopperKnight Maybe they've gotten too big and their quality is slipping. i dont mean to suggest this. im sure kimber still builds ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bye bye kimber

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight
    Maybe they've gotten too big and their quality is slipping.
    i dont mean to suggest this. im sure kimber still builds very fine 1911s. it is however, a disappointment that you cannot expect reasonable function from a weapon with "custom shop" stamped on the slide.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT
    If your new gun does not fit the holster pictured in your link that well, keep me in mind and I'll buy the holster from you if the price is right !
    let me think about that, i want a black one anyway and since there is a delay on finding my champion i could probably take $75 shipped for it. its all of a couple weeks old.

I have a black Galco of that style, been looking for a brown one.
    trust me when i tell you that the galco isnt in the same league as the alessi. if you read THIS THREAD youll see that i was perfectly content with galco for most of my adult life. many recommended custom holsters but i went back with galco anyway. now that i own an alessi, i really doubt that ill ever buy another galco and thats not a slam on galco......ive just graduated to a higher level of holster expectation. my alessi spoiled me.

DC Founder
    It can happen with any gun. Funny thing is, I had a SA Champion that had feed and eject problems I could not get resolved and sold it so I could buy a Kimber TLE II. In almost 2000 rounds it has had no problems. I wish it didn't have the external extractor but it has never given me a bit of trouble. Luck of the draw IMHO....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

as i cleaned my pro raptor 2 before returning it i kept kicking it around in my head, second guessing myself. the weapon was a perfect fit for me, but it shook my confidence and i just cannot afford that in a carry weapon. i probably could have learned to trust it eventually (after repairs), but then the 1 year warranty limitation concerned me. if kimbers warranty were lifetime like springfield i would have felt better about it, but many times in the past (not always certainly, but many times) ive found that problems early in the game tend to be problems down the road and if kimber wont stand behind it, im not going to either.

Quote Originally Posted by mtmack25
    Were you using Kimber's stock magazines? I am anticipating buying a Kimber soon, done a lot of research. My understanding is that the magazine's that they ship with are not worth much. When replaced with Wilson 47d's(the common solution, though I think a few others were mentioned), feeding problems are solved. Without knowing more, I can't say for sure.
    I had the same issue with my Hi-Standard 1911 (Armcor). Bought some quality mags and a lot of my feeding problems went away.

The mags I have are from Wolff Springs. 7 rounds, flat follower with the dimple.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    The weakest link in the 1911 design is the magazine. Most Kimbers ship with Metalform made mags stamped for Kimber and they are not much better than ProMags in my opinion. Replace them with quality Wilson, Chip McCormicks, or Cobramags and watch your troubles go away.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I have a friend who works in the gun department of a national sporting goods company. He tell me that they are sending 35 to 45 percent of their new Kimbers back to the factory for warranty work.

Sad, I bought two new Kimbers the first day that Kimbers were on the market. Great guns that run like Singer Sewing Machines.
    I wouldn't buy a Kimber today. I'd take a look a Springfield Armory for that kind of money. If Kimber doesn't get their act cleaned up, I look for them to change hands or go belly up in a couple of years.

Jungle Work

fwiw the issue was consistant with the kimber magazine, as well as several different springfield magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work

Sad, I bought two new Kimbers the first day that Kimbers were on the market. Great guns that run like Singer Sewing Machines.
    I wouldn't buy a Kimber today. I'd take a look a Springfield Armory for that kind of money. If Kimber doesn't get their act cleaned up, I look for them to change hands or go belly up in a couple of years.

+1 I'm in the same boat, I bought mine within the first month they were avalible.
    OPE Prostaff
    www.outdoorproductexchange.com

Sitting Ducks Ltd. Prostaff
    http://www.sittingducks-ltd.com/

OD*
    Replace them with quality Wilson, Chip McCormicks
    Who do you think makes some of theirs? Metalform.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Metalform makes all of the wilsons and CMC's dont they now??

Excellant customer service. I hope the service that Kimber gives him is as good; but, I doubt it.

OD*
    Bud,

I'm not certain they make all their magazines. If they they have a visible seam down the spine of the tube (folded), they're Metalforms. I have both seamless (extruded) and seamed from both Wilson and CMC. Five of the major vendors are;

Metalform
    Mec-Gar
    Check-Mate Industries
    ACT-MAG
    OK Industries
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

NS.. I have seen several SA champion styles on gunbroker.com. I know you won't stray from your dealer, I wouldn't either. Just thought you might want to know.
    Last edited by kansas_shooter; June 23rd, 2006 at 01:06 AM.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

I have a Colt 1991A1 and Mil-Spec Springfield and never have problems. I also spent 1/3 of the money. I have a hard time spending more than $500 for ANY handgun.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links