Ruger SR9C Anyone ?

This is a discussion on Ruger SR9C Anyone ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by C hawk Glock Nothing against the Ruger, but why? M&P's and Glocks are proven, why get the Ruger unless you need to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger SR9C Anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Nothing against the Ruger, but why? M&P's and Glocks are proven, why get the Ruger unless you need to save a couple bucks?
    Because I liked it the best when I picked all of them up. In particular, I was not a fan of the ergos on the glock.

2. Remove Ads

Hickok45 has an interesting review out of the SR9C (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT1q1C_PnIY). I checked one out this past weekend and I must admit that it fit well in my hand. My G26 will continue to be my CCW, but I may need to pick up a SR9C as a CCW option.

Picked up a stainless SR9c in July. Since then, I have put about 800 rounds of various commercial ammo downrange with no issues. I did follow the advice of folks at some Ruger forums about first doing a thorough cleaning of the pistol before initially going to the range. The groups seem to be tightening up. I like the fit and feel of the pistol.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Just got home with mine:

Haven't shot it yet, but the fit and finish are superb. Extremely solid and the ergonomics are, well... fits like it was molded for my hand.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Just got home with mine:

Haven't shot it yet, but the fit and finish are superb. Extremely solid and the ergonomics are, well... fits like it was molded for my hand.
    Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Actually the SR9C is 1.27 inches thick, the same width as a glock 30 or a PT145 which are both double stack .45's so for a double stack 9mm it's definitely not thin. For comparison is glock 26 and 19 are both 1.18 inches thick.

I think the 1.27 figure is measured across the safeties.

The actual gun though, is quite slim.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Update: Finished the initial cleaning of the factory oil or grease that was all over everything.

Taking a deep breath, I followed the magazine disconnect safety removal procedure as shown here. Actually, I used the procedure as detailed in this forum sticky here.

I can't stress enough just how easy and straightforward this procedure is. If you can break the gun down for general cleaning, you can do this mod. The thinking here is that in the heat of all the excitement of a real-life engagement, you might for some reason accidentally drop the mag, and if so, you want to be able to fire the round in the chamber no matter what.

The magazine disconnect safety serves no purpose that I can discern except that if you are a fool and cannot follow the rules of safe firearm handling, that you might remove the mag and think that the gun is safe and thereby suffer an NG. If you are inexperienced and unsure of your skills, then by all means leave the blasted thing in, otherwise, removing it is a simple, 3-minute procedure you should probably follow anyway just in order to clean the factory grease off the firing pin.

Second update: Carried the gun in the Forbus paddle holster I got with it. This holster is suitable for carry if you have a jacket and can carry in the 4 o'clock position, and works in a pinch, but a better concealment holster is recommended. I've got the Mitch Rosen on order and will see if that works better. The gun is light and very comfortable for carry both in walking around and while driving.

Like Hickock45 observes, this is the Glock 19 9mm reimagined by Ruger, at a great price point built with insanely great quality. With 17 in the mag and 1 in the chamber, you can lay down some serious havoc with this puppy. Range report to follow.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Ive now got 1200+ flawless rounds through mine. Still great and ive shot just about everything out there also..only thing it didnt like at first was WWB..im gonna get some more of that and see if 1200 rounds has gotten it to where it may like them now.just as a test..but I dont shoot them anymore anyways ebcause other stuff is now cheaper..WWB aint nearly the deal it used to be :) but at 1200 rounds I think its well broken in now.

I don't have the SR9c, but have the regular SR9. For me the full size fits the bill. It has performed flawlessly. Really like the adjustable sight. So far i have taken 2 wild hogs with it. My only gripe, is its hard to find a good IWB or OWB holster for it.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Quote Originally Posted by paknheat View Post
    I don't have the SR9c, but have the regular SR9. For me the full size fits the bill. It has performed flawlessly. Really like the adjustable sight. So far i have taken 2 wild hogs with it. My only gripe, is its hard to find a good IWB or OWB holster for it.
    Just got my SR9C love it. I shoot better with it than anything I have (aside from the kimber). I sold my Glock 23 (never could shoot it very well). I have found that the TT Gunleather holster I have for it fits the SR9C really well. It is what I carry it in now until I decide what to get for a new one, thinking about ordering a few Tucker Gunleather holsters. Tucker lists the SR9 and SR9C on their gun list, their Texas Heritage IWB holster is listed as 5-6 week wait, this is the one I am thinking of ordering.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

Thanx for the holster info. I will definetly look into it.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

I've put about 900 rounds through my SR9c with no problems (including 200 rounds of WWB). I've found it to be very accurate with carry ammo, but the 115gr range ammo seems to shoot a little low. I carry it every day in one of my custom IWB holsters I make.

SR9C compact is a great pistol that's an in-betweener - slightly larger than the Glock 26 (same barrel length), but smaller than the Glock 19.
    Aim for the Thoracic Triangle Area between the armpits and the base of throat.

1. Shot Placement: Center Mass Between the Armpits & Base of Throat
    2. Heavy for Caliber Bullet Weight / Construction
    3. Choice of Caliber

Love the SR9c. Very good ergonomics and reliability. My only complaints are the heavy recoil spring and the desire for a "tweener" mag. capacity. The 17 round mag. is just too hard to conceal and I would like to have about 13 rounds available. It would be nice if Pearce made a +2 basepad for the 10 round mag. Naturally, a mag. spring change would be required.
    You live and learn, or you don't live long. - Heinlein

I've considered the SR9 / SR9c for a while, but I tend to favor the fiirearms that have a proven record in LE or military. Not many departments looking to bring the SR9 (SR9C) as a duty firearm.

I'm not knocking the firearm, I've very tempted to get one, and was at Gander yesderday considering the purchase of the SR9c (was on sale for $399.00). Just the lack of a LE duty weapon following always sticks in my mind.

I always find myself being a big fan of all things Ruger, then find myself never making the purchase. It is like Taurus in that way. I love their (Ruger & Taurus...not that they are the same company, just both offer a good range of products) catalogs, find their products interesting, but never actually make the purchase (other than a 10/22). I have never had a bad experience with Ruger (have had a few minor with Taurus). I know plenty who love their products.

My wife just purchased Ruger's .380. She likes it so much that I've talked her into renewed interest in the SR9c (I don't like her P99c), and in the process found I have a great deal of interest in the SR9c myself. I think another thing I'm unsure concerning the SR9c is I don't like a manual safety for my CC / SD firearm. IMHO, that is what the SR9 / SR9c offers, a Glock like pistol (and to some extent trigger) with a manual safety. At a great price.

I'm still stuck in the loop with Ruger that I always get in. When I consider a revolver, Taurus is tempting for the price, Ruger looks even better (plus made in the U.S.), then I buy a (no lock) S&W. If I buy a bolt action, Ruger is on the list, but comes down to Rem vs Win. With a semi-auto, again Taurus for the price, then serious consideration for Ruger, but ends up S&W M&P, Springfield, SIG, Glock, etc.

I want to be a brand loyald Ruger fan, spend a good deal of can time looking at their products, just never get to the purchase.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links