Any Kahr P9 or CW9 owners out there? Brand new here.

This is a discussion on Any Kahr P9 or CW9 owners out there? Brand new here. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can't wait to get my Kahr P9 from Buds. Anyone have any comments about theirs?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Kahr P9 or CW9 owners out there? Brand new here.

Any Kahr P9 or CW9 owners out there? Brand new here.

Can't wait to get my Kahr P9 from Buds. Anyone have any comments about theirs?
    Kahr P9 Stainless (on the way from Buds)
    G23 Gen3
    G27 Gen3

2. Remove Ads

my CW9 is great. I hope you like your P9 as much. I suggest you go to the official Kahr forum, kahrtalk.com and look for the writeup on how to break in a Kahr. I think it's by "Jocko". Not required, but seems like good advice to me.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

I appreciate that. No problems with your CW9?
    Kahr P9 Stainless (on the way from Buds)
    G23 Gen3
    G27 Gen3

In the first year I had to send it in for service three times. It's now been 2 years, I've shot 3-4,000 live fire rounds and probably at least double that number of dry fire clicks (with no snap caps). I just replaced the second broken striker (the first broken striker was done by Kahr -- one of those three service events). I think it's the thousands of dry-fire clicks with no snap caps that weakens the firing pin at the end of the striker. Other than that it runs like a champ.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have no problems with my P9, but a friend who bought one on my experience had light strikes and multiple trips back to the factory before it ran right. They did fix it in the long run.

jyo
    Well, a couple of years ago I bought two brand new CW9 pistols just a couple of s/ns apart, at the same time, my brother also purchased a CW9 from the same shop---we took all three out for a range day as soon as they cleared the 10 day wait (Kalifornia)---all three suffered from a "magazine drop" problem and were unusable---pretty pissed off at this point. The guy at Kahr said that there were several batches of P9 and CW9 pistols with this problem and offered to send replacement mag releases and their springs out ASAP---which of course, leads to the question of just how did they test fire these pistols before shipping them? I believe they knew of the problems and just shipped them anyway---pretty poor policy if you ask me. Anyway, the parts arrived shortly, but proved difficult to install---after several months I took them to my gunsmith and he got them in for $30 for all three guns. The guns have run 100% since then---better still all three have very nice DAO triggers, are slim, lightweight and all shoot right to point of aim---I ended up really liking these little pistols even after the rocky start and can now recommend them---just BE SURE TO test THEM BEFORE YOU NEED THEM! Also, I happened to buy a lightly used Kahr P45 (all black)---the owner said he had to send the gun back to Kahr THREE times before it was reliable---and it also runs well now with the same nice DAO trigger, shoots to point of aim etc., but this little dog kicks! It seems to me, Kahr pistols are nicely made small guns, but their quality control leaves much to be desired. Good luck with yours.

If you loke the trigger, its a sweet little gun! compact, super thin and light... yet not too small to shoot efficiently.
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

I have a CW9 and a CW45 and both work great, no malfunctions and hundreds of rounds. I trust the my life to the 45 every day! they are great shooters and very accurate. POA is POI! I have shot out 2 holes in 1 target about 1.5"x2.5" with 100 rounds with only 5 or 6 off rounds, most likely me. good choice!
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I Have a CW40 and could not be happier with the handgun. Its been a flawless performer so far. About 400 rounds.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I had some light strikes with a CW9. Changed the spring, but it didn't help. I've had four Kahrs that are reliable, three that weren't.

CW9

I have had my CW9 for several months now and I absolutely love it. I have put several brands of ammo (including WWB fmj, Remington UMC fmj, Winchester SXZ9 jhp) and so far it has eaten them all without any problems whatsoever. I'll try some inexpensive federal 9mm next range trip. I took it with me on a 3 day canoe/hiking trip this past weekend (thouroughly ziplocked and inside a bucket while on the water of course) and even after 3 days in a hot bucket and a 10 mile hike in southern MO humidity (my holster and belt were soaked with persperation ) I only had 3 very small rust specks on the slide to scrub off when I got home. This impressed me alot as I was expecting much worse. Just keep a coating of Rem Oil on the slide periodically and you shoud be just fine! Hope you enjoy your new-super-thin-and-light-pistol as much as I do mine! Shoot 'em straight.

Zach in MO
    Last edited by cc9mm; July 18th, 2010 at 06:40 PM.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: Hot Damn! What a Ride!

Gen3 G19
    Taurus TCP
    Ruger 22/45

I had a cw9. Never jammed for me or my dad after 200 rounds although anyone else who touched it made it jam within 5 rounds. Ate everything with out fail and we tried everything from 15 different hand loads to super hot +p's WWB etc. I traded it for a different gun (it was a good deal :)) I never carried it because I didnt trust it. IT may have been all in my head though. When I slapped a fresh mag home it didn't like to seat good with out a few more taps. Then if the slide didn't drop automatically when the new mag went in (I personally HATE that in a carry gun) I had to sling shot it as the release never worked for me (did for every one else though)

for me it was like going on a date with a friend. You have fun, nothing explodes, but it just wasnt the 'magic' you needed
    Μολὼν λάβε

Kahr CW9, here. For years, I've simply loved the way the K9 ergonomics fit my hand. But with the other, lightweight alternatives out there, it's been hard to jump on a K9 for daily carry, at least for me. Other than weight and capacity, the K9 has seemed nearly perfect. The P9 and CW9 seem decent alternatives.

At some point, I'll get the CW9 into the shop for a bit of smoothing and tuning. It's still a bit tight, from the factory.

Remember, the 200 round measure for break-in is only Kahr's suggestion. You might well find your particular gun requires far less or far more than that in order to sufficiently break-in the gun so that it'll cycle everything you give it with perfect reliability.

Enjoy!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have a CW9 and it is my primary carry using a Cross Breed Mini Tuck. One in the chamber...six in the mag. Just don't like that seventy round in the mag and the possibility of a jam. Works "almost" flawlessly with the combination I mentioned above.
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

I have the CW9 and the PM9. CW9 flawless thru break in period and am confident in its reliability. One light strike with the PM9 in break in period but no problems since, also confident in its reliability. One thing I'll note with my CW9 and my experience with it after a day of shooting, when I clean it after there are small shavings of polymer in slide rails. Very happy with both though and the PM9 is my EDC for summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links