The P250 for $399 - beware or maybe be aware...a heads up:

This is a discussion on The P250 for $399 - beware or maybe be aware...a heads up: within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A popular, and reputable web gun dealer has P250s on sale for $399, but be aware of a couple of things about this 'sale'. One, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The P250 for $399 - beware or maybe be aware...a heads up:

Senior Moderator

The P250 for $399 - beware or maybe be aware...a heads up:

A popular, and reputable web gun dealer has P250s on sale for $399, but be aware of a couple of things about this 'sale'.

One, the gun does not have night sights. I paid $579 for my P250 with night sights.

Second this review by a customer that bought one of these P250s:

This product is NOT item # 250C-9-BSS as listed in the description, meaning that it is NOT the updated P250 compact. This product IS item # 2509015 listed at the top of the page, meaning it's the OLD/discontinued P250 compact.

Essentially, the updated version has a standard picatinny rail, as opposed to the curved SIG rail (my FFL dealer says that most picatinny accessories should still work, though). It also sports a modified grip, which requires newer magazines AND holsters. Just beware of these changes.
    However all is not downsides:

Other stuff of note:
    1. I shot three boxes of ammo during the break-in period with one failure to feed shooting Fiocchi 9AP FMJ's. I'm confident, though, that this isn't gonna be a problem. The trigger action and the overall feel of the pistol smoothed out by that third box.
    2. Double Action Only has pros and cons itself. It's got a long trigger pull, but not a heavy one and still takes some getting used to, especially if you're used to single action. At first, I was shooting below the sights, but after making an adjustment and learning at what point in the pull the hammer actually strikes, I had one-inch groupings at about 15 yards.

Final Thoughts:
    It's a good (not fantastic) overall value at $426 with one magazine. You'd still be hard-pressed to find a comparable deal from any other quality gun manufacturer, let alone the eminent SIG Sauer.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

I have been looking a the 2sum with the 250 lately. Might have to give this a look over.

Thanks
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I have been looking a the 2sum with the 250 lately. Might have to give this a look over.

Thanks
    Just be aware that the $399 version is a discontinued model, not the newer P250 model. Hence it does not have night sights, does not have the now ubiquitous Picittinny rail, and if I understand this correctly, the mags of the discontinued model and newer models are not compatible - that could be a problem on down the line.

I presume the trigger control unit would fit the new P250 frames, but I don't know that, and that could be another problem.

VIP Member
    Seems mighty early to be having discontinued models for the P250's already....by the way, the newer model can be had for very cheap in my local shops. I just saw two NIB P250's for 385.00 on gunbroker, oh and they have a 2 sum for 699.00 if you looking for the two calibers.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Seems mighty early to be having discontinued models for the P250's already....by the way, the newer model can be had for very cheap in my local shops. I just saw two NIB P250's for 385.00 on gunbroker, oh and they have a 2 sum for 699.00 if you looking for the two calibers.
    How about that! A gun shop is selling the new style cheaper ($385) than Bud's is selling the discontinued style ($399). I guess they know somebody at Sig and can get super deals.

Boy we're gettin' ripped off around here; P250s go from $589 at Sportsman's Warehouse to $629 at Bention's Shooting supply - a huge gun and hunting store - of course that's the new style with night sights. I did a little better than that, I gave $579 for mine with night sights. Hmmm, that's right at what Glocks are going for around here without night sights.

I read somewhere that the older style is how they were manufactured for the European market, long before they were a US product. These early styles we see selling so cheaply may be the remainder of the older styles.

When production of the P250 started in the US, a change was necessary, as I understand it, for compatibility across the 9mm, .357 sig, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP calibers. And I'm pretty sure it was specifically to make the smaller caliber mag channels consistent with .45 mag channels; which would explain why the mags are not interchangable between the two styles.

It appears the change was merely a response to wider market caliber demands, since I'm not aware of any problems in the design of the earlier design. I'm sure it cost Sig some money to implement the change, but I'm sure the compatibility will more than pay for the design change cost.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    How about that! A gun shop is selling the new style cheaper ($385) than Bud's is selling the discontinued style ($399). I guess they know somebody at Sig and can get super deals.

Boy we're gettin' ripped off around here; P250s go from $589 at Sportsman's Warehouse to $629 at Bention's Shooting supply - a huge gun and hunting store - of course that's the new style with night sights.
    Tangle,

Sometimes I think things may be regional with regards to brands and prices. I don't have anything like Cabella's or that type of store anywhere near me. We do have a ton of gun-shop's though. I have run into this type of situation before on DC with other stuff as well. For example AR's and AK's seem pretty cheap here as there are a ton of them around here as well as builders.

BTW I totally agree with you on those gunbroker prices! They are giving those suckers away!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Moderator
    Something has to be amiss here. I cannot believe Sig will sell guns to small gun shops over $100 less than they will to their major buyers. I don't see how gun shops a particular region could buy the same gun from Sig a $100 or so cheaper - that'd be marketing suicide on Sigs part.

Of course some of that may be a difference in sights. Models with night sights may run $100 more. If that's the case, Sportsmans Warehouse should be asking about $489 for a new style P250 without night sights. But still, how could a gun shop get such a deal from Sig that they can sell the same model/new style for $385 - $104 cheaper than another gun store that probably sells a much higher volume?

You know that old saying about too good to be true?

It's not so much that the P250 compact was discontinued, but rather the 9mm/.40/.357 models had the grip module and mags redesigned for greater commonality with the .45 ACP model.

For those unfamiliar with the differences between the old and new P250 compact:

And...

Administrator
    Less night sights and it being a discontinued model, I don't see the price being to out of whack.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Less night sights and it being a discontinued model, I don't see the price being to out of whack.
    In this thread it was reported that one gun shop had the new style P250s for $389. That's $10 cheaper than Bud's ($399) is selling the older style, and only $10 more than an exchange kit ~$379 which includes everything, including one mag, and SigLites, everything except the trigger unit.

I could understand the $389 for the older style, but not for the newer one, even without night sights.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I think that $385 you saw on GB may have been my bids that failed to meet reserve. To my knowledge, there aren't any going for that price. There are some good deals though if you hunt enough and are patient. I picked up my LNIB 9mm P250 with nickel slide and night sites for $375 plus ship from a private owner on GB last month. I like the gun so much that I commissioned Nate over at UBG to build an elephant trimmed regulator for it. I wouldn't mind picking up another P250 if I could get another good deal and sock it away.

PS: there is also something weird about the P250 at Bud's - the listing says Nitron, but the details say phosphate. I have come across a couple of others that had phosphate slides instead of Nitron,
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmon View Post
    I think that $385 you saw on GB may have been my bids that failed to meet reserve. To my knowledge, there aren't any going for that price....

PS: there is also something weird about the P250 at Bud's - the listing says Nitron, but the details say phosphate. I have come across a couple of others that had phosphate slides instead of Nitron,
    That's what I'm thinking - there's something going on that isn't apparent - that's why I started this thread. As well as the older style issues I listed/quoted in the OP, the phosphate finish probably makes a significant difference in the price too.

I can understand $385 for a used P250; that's about what a used Glock goes for around here, maybe a little more than that.

The P250 is just starting to grow on me so to speak. I just haven't warmed up to it like I normally would a new gun (new to me that is), but it is coming on. Now that I'm past the accuracy problem (I hope; I should know tomorrow), I'm really starting to like it and the entire concept.

I'm right on the verge of purchasing a compact kit in 9mm to go with my full size .45. Although a full size wouldn't be bad either. I've seen some decent deals on the 'kits'. Still looking around.

One of the outstanding things about this is when I find the kit I'm looking for, I don't have to pay overnight shipping, doesn't have to be transferred, and I don't have to pay for a background check. Just ship that sucker the cheapest way right to my house!

los
    If a weapon does not pass post QC assembly inspection (small finish flaws or scratches) they will be offered to distributors at a good discount. Usually, these flaws are so small or insignificant that they go unnoticed by the buyer.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

FYI:

I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    If a weapon does not pass post QC assembly inspection (small finish flaws or scratches) they will be offered to distributors at a good discount. Usually, these flaws are so small or insignificant that they go unnoticed by the buyer.
    That's a new one on me; I've never heard or seen a factory gun discounted because of a cosmetic defect.

Where'd you see this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links