Kimber Customer Convert 2

This is a discussion on Kimber Customer Convert 2 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gent's I am thinking about jumping into the 1911 world and I have a chance to get a decent deal on one of these. How ...

Thread: Kimber Customer Convert 2

VIP Member

Kimber Customer Convert 2

Gent's I am thinking about jumping into the 1911 world and I have a chance to get a decent deal on one of these.

How are they, is there any major bugs I should be aware of, and for the same money should I just get a colt or a top of the line springer?

whoops meant custom covert.... the guy is asking 1,000
    Last edited by C hawk Glock; July 18th, 2010 at 05:13 PM.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

I have two Kimbers (both CDP's) and have found them to be flawless, easily concealed, and terrific shooters.
    Now some here will bash Kimbers, but then every product has its distractors.
    If it's mechanical, it can have its problems. I've seen guys bring in new $2,500 guns and fume because something wasn't right.
    Although a Glock is now my EDC, my Kimber sits jealously by in the safe.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Gent's I am thinking about jumping into the 1911 world and I have a chance to get a decent deal on one of these.

How are they, is there any major bugs I should be aware of, and for the same money should I just get a colt or a top of the line springer?
    I love my Kimber - it's a Custom CDP II, essentially the Kimber version of the Lightweight Commander. Carries easily, "melt job" means few sharp edges to reach out and bite you, and more accurate than I am.

What I don't like is the Swartz firing pin safety system. No, hasn't bitten me in the butt yet, but it's a complexity I don't appreciate. A stiff firing pin spring (the Springfield approach) serves the same purpose without adding parts. Interesting that Kimber's "SIS" series - built for professionals - eliminates the FP safety. N.b. - all Kimbers bearing the "II" designation in the model name use the Swartz system.

I also don't care for the full-length guide rod and the need for a small tool to disassemble the gun, but I recognize the advantages of a fitted, bushing-less bull barrel. That's a compromise I accept, and I doubt that I'll ever be in a situation that requires me to completely strip the gun in a foxhole.

Overall, you probably will see and hear more squawks about Kimbers and their customer service than you will about Springfield Armory. Besides the Kimber, my other 2 1911s are both Springers, and my one involvement with their CS department left me with a big smile on my face (free service on a 20 year old gun has that effect on me). No contact with Kimber CS yet since the gun runs like a sewing machine.

YMMV, but depending on what you want the gun to do for you, I can't push you emphatically in one direction or the other, but I would give a slight edge to SA over Kimber.

Re Colts - I don't own one, based on advice of a mechanical designer who worked for Colt in the 80s and 90s. He is a serious gun guy who was designing new tooling for the O series (1911s) to replace the worn-out stuff that mandated hand-work to make up for out-of-tolerance parts. He was disgusted with Colt quality back then - important qualifier. You will always find those who wave the Colt flag because they love the pony, but I'm a realist. I would get feedback from those who own and shoot Colt 1911s made in the 21st century before making an expensive decision.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I had a couple of Kimbers years ago and never had any issues with them, to speak of. I have also had several Springers over the years that were also great guns. Recently I was in the market for another full size 1911 and chose a Springer Loaded model, one thing that helped with my decision was all of the positive remarks I heard about Springers CS. I have about 400 rounds down the pipe now and not one regret or problem. I hope what ever you choose you enjoy. Good Luck

VIP Member
    There is no denying that Kimber's are nice guns. Frankly this will not be my EDC, just like resupt99 I will be using a polymer for that. This would be a pure shooter! I notice that this model come standard with crimson trace. Should I be concerned being a lefty?

I do not know what budget you are trying to stay in, but I would highly recommend you look at the Dan Wesson's also. They are great shooters, and is also my EDC.

VIP Member
    Hi,

I am trying to stay around 1,000 to 1,300

Well than the DW's are within your budget, I would recommend them over either brand we have talked about thus far. IMHO

I have three Kimber 1911s. A Desert Warrior, a Custom Stainless, and an Ultra CDP II (my EDC). All are outstanding, trouble-free shooters.

If you're not planning to use CT grips on your carry piece, I'd forego the laser, unless you just want one to practice with.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    I have three Kimber 1911s. A Desert Warrior, a Custom Stainless, and an Ultra CDP II (my EDC). All are outstanding, trouble-free shooters.

If you're not planning to use CT grips on your carry piece, I'd forego the laser, unless you just want one to practice with.
    Hi,

It already has the laser integrated... I wonder if this would work on other 1911's and I could just sell?

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I owned a Kimber Pro Carry HD II in .38 Super and later upgraded to a .45 of the same model. The only problem I had with either, was the .38 FTE using PMC ammo. In the .45 I just avoid PMC and it works fine.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Over 600 rounds DR with my Kimber Ultra 3" and no problems at all. Funny thing is the 3" is supposed to be the most finicky outa the line. I guess mine didn't hear that part or chose to ignore it all together. I'm by far no 1911 connoisseur, but IMO, I don't think you can go wrong with either one of um. I'm with "gasmitty" on the swartz FP, but it hasn't shown itself to be a problem in any range session so far. I say go for it and enjoy the 1911. Word of caution though; it'll try it's best to work itself into the primary carry role. Mine did and I like it!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Links