snubbie practice distance

This is a discussion on snubbie practice distance within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hello all i was curious what a good realistic training distance is with a snubbie j frame. i tran from 10 to 20 feet and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: snubbie practice distance

hello all i was curious what a good realistic training distance is with a snubbie j frame. i tran from 10 to 20 feet and with only 200 rounds through mine im getting pretty good whats a good distance or training drills.

los
    I think 10 to 20 feet is a great distance to practice at, regardless of CCW of choice. Do you do practice reloading drills, as well? Speedstrips or Speedloaders?

Also, I'd recommend Point Shooting drills at 3 to 10 feet.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

yes i generaly have been doing 50 rounds each session fmj and defensive ammo from 10 to 20 feet aiming and point shooting im geeting pretty good but wanna be great i love the snubby its quikly becoming my favorite carry gun. i have bianchi speed strips ive been practicing at home with either 4 or 5 rounds in it but havent tried at the range yet do you have any tips.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I think 7-10 yards (and less) is a reasonable practice distance with a snubbie, or any other firearm for that matter.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

While some will disagree, I would not carry a revolver without speed loaders. When you get as fast reloading as JM, you can quit practicing.

Practice all types and positions of point shooting, FSA, Qk, etc. I take it out to seven yards, including half hip head shots, QK farther.

thanks for the fast responses and advice everyone

Ex Member
    I start my shooting with the target at 50 feet and shoot a few cylinders through it. After that I bring it back to 20 feet, and the hits are SO much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    ...I'd recommend Point Shooting drills at 3 to 10 feet.
    This......no sights, no lasers. The real world!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

yes my gun has no lasers i dont care for them i try to do some target and real world point of aim shooting each session im quikly finding the light weight and fire power of the j frame to be my favorite carry gun in a desantis nemesis pocket holster. most of my friends find it dated and old since im only 22 but i love my wheel gun.

Those that can plink with a snubby at any distance (there are many still out there) have done their homework and have lots and lots of practice.

I always take my snub when shooting cause it is one of my carries. The more I practice (good or bad days) the more I feel confident I can use it for personal protection.

Occasionally I go shooting with other people (I'm not talking about my better half). No one seems to be able to shoot my SW442 worth a darn. They get all impressed when I can shoot a can or something that isn't that far (with aim) 10 - 20'.

Its all good fun, but the J frame to me is about point shooting 3-10 feet...back peddling if need be, torso shots mainly, multiple targets too.

Quote Originally Posted by joedodge View Post
    most of my friends find it dated and old since im only 22 but i love my wheel gun.
    Funny....you can also look at it as...dated but works means, PROVEN.

thanks for the advice thats the point i wanna be at very proficent with it at good distances and different types of shooting. does anyone have any drills to try

10 to 20 feet is good for routine practice with your snub. But every once in a while, step outside that box and see where that bullet hits at 25 or even 50 yards.

In a couple of my handgun training courses we spent time understanding the approximate front-rear sight alignment to enable hitting a standard silhouette target at 100 yards. It's a revealing exercise, and reading the "Ayoob Files" in the current American Handgunner makes it seem even more worthwhile.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

thanks for the replys everyone i think il train from 10 to 25 feet on a regular basis

If you shoot at an outdoor range, many have set target locations at 10,25 and 50yds. Fro about $10 you can make your own target stand from pvc pipe. This will allow you to set your target at any distance you wish that the range allows. Just be sure to build it to the width of the target frames that the range uses.
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links