Why I am considering a 45acp! - Page 2

Why I am considering a 45acp!

This is a discussion on Why I am considering a 45acp! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tangle But, having said all that, I find myself drifting from 9mm to .45ACP. It's not because of inconclusive evidence that it's ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I am considering a 45acp!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    But, having said all that, I find myself drifting from 9mm to .45ACP. It's not because of inconclusive evidence that it's the best caliber, but because when I look at a 9mm beside a .45ACP, it's a huge difference and to me, psychologically I suppose, I like what I see.
    Look at them end-on, and you'll see how little difference there is.

I'll agree with the others that if large animals are an issue, I'd go 10mm for an auto. Load it with the most powerful loads you can find, designed to penetrate deeply - NOT to expand. You want hunting rounds - a heavy flat-point.

Better would be a revolver in .44 or .50 mag.

Even better would be a shotgun loaded with slugs!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Interesting. I didn't even know it was legal to hunt deer with a pistol.
    That varies by state.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Bigger is better but fast is furious!

I have been forced to carry a 45 in Bear Country because I needed one gun to double as my defensive gun. My Load of Choice was Hornady 230 +P XTP.
    Now I was in BLACK Bear country where the size rarely exceeds 400 lbs. I wouldn't have dreamt of this combo in Grizzly/Brown Bear territory!
    I agree with the many here who set the 44 Magnum as a minimum for defense against Bear (and that's light!) I would prefer a 12 Ga. with Brenekke Slugs or 375 H&H and a buddy carrying the same.
    As for the far more dangerous and common threat of Bipedal Felon. I would argue that the 45 ACP, 357 Magnum, 357 Sig and 10mm are the tops depending upon load of course.

Bear Country/SD

At least a 500 S&W in bear country, distant second choice 460 S&W, more distant third 454 Casull. For me, I'd have a 308 AR10. A 45 isn't a viable option.
    For SD, there's nothing conclusive regarding the 9/45 debate. If you're looking for more damage, the previous posts about a Glock 20 in 10mm offer a viable option. Some will say a 10mm can be bear medicine too, for me...not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Just recently here in Chattanooga, the police shot an armed man around twenty times with .45 before they were satisfied he was incapacitated.
    Ummm........Is that one of those cases where they asked him, "are you dead?" and since he refused to answer, they shot him again?

Bear=10mm

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I've seen lots of dead black bears.

Seeing black bears that have been shot with most hunting calibers and shooting longways through one with a 350 grain Maxiball, and watching him run over 100 yards, I would say that if are serious, then forget the .45 ACP. With hollowpoints, they may or may not expand because they'll plug up with hair or fat.

Go with the most serious semi auto round that you can get.

That would be the 10MM. The Glock 20 holds 16 I think, and is as concealable as any other Glock.

I personally think that any handgun that you can conceal will be a bit light duty for a sure kill on a bear, so you might as well go with the best round out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Bear=10mm
    Couldn't agree more
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Administrator
    I'm a real big fan of the 45acp for personal self-defense against two legged deadly threats but, not for Black Bear.
    I you do want to carry .45acp for Blackies then best get the hottest and heaviest offering by BuffaloBore & go for multiple hits.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    10mm sound like the best gun for you. FMJ for bears and JHP for the two legged critters.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Glock 20 with a .45 ACP conversion barrel would give you the best of both the 10mm & th .45 ACP.

Just my 2 cents...

12 Gauge
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I have a Kahr PM9, Glock 23, so 9mm and .40 S&W are covered, I am aware of the ballistics of both. The 45acp would be for a backpack gun for four legged creatures, some black bear country, some times CC gun. I am thinking of deer hunting with the 45acp out to 40 yards or so.

I have a son who was involve in a shooting and his duty caliber is .40 S&W, one shot and the criminal was dead. For sure shot placement was the most important part of the shooting.

My other son is a paramedic and he sees shootings all the time like on a weekly basis. He has told me after 10 years of seeing shootings that the .45acp is the most likely to kill because of the shock to the body.

He has seen multiple wounds from 9mm and 40 S&W, and the patient walks to the gurney. The victims of .22lr wounds are often not aware they were shot several times, however, can die at the hospital or on the way to hospital, because the bullet bounced around in a vital area.

I am a believer no matter what caliber you use, you must shoot until the threat stops.

I am considering a 45acp because it makes a bigger hole, however, I feel I can make many follow-up shots with my 9mm with lower recoil. If I had a 45 acp I would shot until the threat stops.

I don't believe any caliber is a man-stopper, shot placement is the key.

So is the 45acp worth it? That is cost of new gun, ammo, holster and accessories. Whats your thoughts?
    Maybe I'm missing the point but If your wanting to include 45acp to the 9 and 40 you have for EDC it sounds like a great idea. You'd be more like to practice and find ammo than 10mm. I like the 10mm and would like a Glock in 10mm BTW. .45acp will drop humans with well placed shots and leave big holes. If you can find the ammo get a 10mm but if this is to double as a EDC .45 can more likely be found.

I will stick to my 10mm, the .45 can stay in the safe.

Searcher 45..."In bear country with a 45acp what would be the best choice for defense against large bears, FMJ or HP?"
    Wear track shoes and hike with a friend you can outrun...

In Alaska, it was a Ruger .44mag (for a hiking pistola) for bears and moose...moose were much more dangerous than bears.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Searcher 45..."In bear country with a 45acp what would be the best choice for defense against large bears, FMJ or HP?"
    Wear track shoes and hike with a friend you can outrun...

In Alaska, it was a Ruger .44mag (for a hiking pistola) for bears and moose...moose were much more dangerous than bears.
    I read an article that stated most Alaskan Guides carry a 12ga with slugs for Grizzly. The slugs will put them down in a hurry and a wounded Grizzly charging your client doesn't allow much time for multiple shots.

Since I carry every day from out of shower until lay me down to sleep, my SD weapon takes priority. I would hate to carry something that hurt to do so. So you may seriously consider 2 guns for the 2 very different purposes (picture shooting game birds with a pistol). So, I got a Kahr 9mm because I could carry it in my pocket. Although possible and I have a pocket holster, I carry it in a IWB because it's more comfortable. Had I known I would carry IWB, I would have bought a .45 ACP instead of the 9mm.

I, personally, would not want to go up against a black bear with a .45. They are a wild animal, not a human. They have animal instincts and dna built in that drive them on and on even when the chips are down.

.44mag or bigger for a mad mama bear with kids.

As far as more people dying because of a .22cal, naturally. That's not because it's such a great killer, but because of the HUGE number of .22's out there and hunting and home accidents. People thinking it has no power, so they leave 'em lying around and kids pick them up and kill themselves or their friends. just my thoughts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links