Why I am considering a 45acp!

This is a discussion on Why I am considering a 45acp! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by diamond I, personally, would not want to go up against a black bear with a .45. They are a wild animal, not ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why I am considering a 45acp!

Quote Originally Posted by diamond View Post
    I, personally, would not want to go up against a black bear with a .45. They are a wild animal, not a human. They have animal instincts and dna built in that drive them on and on even when the chips are down.

.44mag or bigger for a mad mama bear with kids.

As far as more people dying because of a .22cal, naturally. That's not because it's such a great killer, but because of the HUGE number of .22's out there and hunting and home accidents. People thinking it has no power, so they leave 'em lying around and kids pick them up and kill themselves or their friends. just my thoughts.
    That's one side of it possibly. The other side is that it can bounce around inside a person like a pinball machine and tear up everything in the process. That's not pretty.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

2. Remove Ads

.44 Mag is a very effective hunting round and a bear defense load. If this is the reasoning for the purchase, get the bigger gun.

I do not believe in caliber justification, "I want a .45" is a good enough reason to buy one.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I bought a .45 because I love the 1911 platform, not because its a .45. With that being said, I still own and carry 9mm and do not feel underpowered with my 9mms. .45s or 9mm, they all make bad people go away at the end
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Bear warning sign text
    Sign text reads:

Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-f-doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him is case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear poop has bells in it and smells like pepper.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Bear warning sign text
    Sign text reads:

Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise the outdoorsman to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-f-doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with him is case of an encounter with a bear.

Outdoorsmen should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear poop has bells in it and smells like pepper.
    ^ LOL
    I have a buddy that lives in alaska and he carries a glock 10mm for four legged critters. If for whatever reason he is going to a known bear area he takes his 10mm and a rifle.
    The 10mm is a beast of a round, plus IMO I would rather have more rounds with a 10mm then only 6 in a 44mag or 500S&W revolver.

I own (15) handguns. Of those, (8) are .45acp and the rest are 9mm, .40SW, .357 mag and .22 LR. Are they worth it ? I'd say so.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    In bear country with a 45acp what would be the best choice for defense against large bears, FMJ or HP?
    First, as already advised, don't use .45acp for defense against animals. However, if its all you have, it is better than nothing. If I absolutely had to use a .45acp against any animal I would prefer to use 230gr FMJ.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

"I don't believe any caliber is a man-stopper, shot placement is the key.

So is the 45acp worth it? That is cost of new gun, ammo, holster and accessories. Whats your thoughts?
    "

While I agree with the first statement, I strongly advocate carrying the most powerful caliber you can be deadly proficient with. A .45 to the gut is less effective than a .380 to COM or the noggin. For me the .45 is truly a defensive load and if you can find a platform/form factor that gives you the confidence and accuracy you need to deliver it to point of aim, absolutely the .45 is worth it.

One thing to take into consideration IMO is; a 9mm in +p is nothing to sneeze at. The FPE and ballistics of the two are pretty darn close and the only advantage for the standard pressure .45 is the size of the hole. Some will say, well there ya go. My thoughts are along the lines of, I think it's splitting hairs, once the hole is large enough to cause the trauma and damage necessary to end the threat, the rest is just gravy, and not of much value beyond that. JMO YMMV.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    "I don't believe any caliber is a man-stopper, shot placement is the key.

So is the 45acp worth it? That is cost of new gun, ammo, holster and accessories. Whats your thoughts?
    "

While I agree with the first statement, I strongly advocate carrying the most powerful caliber you can be deadly proficient with. A .45 to the gut is less effective than a .380 to COM or the noggin. For me the .45 is truly a defensive load and if you can find a platform/form factor that gives you the confidence and accuracy you need to deliver it to point of aim, absolutely the .45 is worth it.

One thing to take into consideration IMO is; a 9mm in +p is nothing to sneeze at. The FPE and ballistics of the two are pretty darn close and the only advantage for the standard pressure .45 is the size of the hole. Some will say, well there ya go. My thoughts are along the lines of, I think it's splitting hairs, once the hole is large enough to cause the trauma and damage necessary to end the threat, the rest is just gravy, and not of much value beyond that. JMO YMMV.

GBK

I ended a fight with 4 shots of 9mm black talons. It stopped him. That being said I moved up to .45 for 10 years went back to 9mm for a year and now carry 10mm or .357 with .380 backup depending upon the environment

Wow! I'm glad you made it through it okay. I'm not familiar with the Black Talons rounds, I think I remember um being armor piercing rounds or something like that, but not sure if they were +p's or not. I carry a Kimber 3" and am thinking about loading it with +p's, or the short barrel specific rounds for maximum stopping power. Until then I'm just running the FMJs and feel that the OD and FPS is enough to do what the .45 did for years before modern bullet designs.

10mm that's a ton of gun, I guess you mean business. I'd like to have a 10mm as I don't currently own one, but for me, it's a bit much for my concealed carry needs. Stay safe

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

There is only one answer to this thread. Buy two guns, the .45 for the two legged BG and a good S&W or Ruger .44 mag for the four legged BG. Nuff said !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    If you want a .45, consider a Ruger convertable so you can use 45 colt Ruger only loads in bear country.

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Wow! I'm glad you made it through it okay. I'm not familiar with the Black Talons rounds, I think I remember um being armor piercing rounds or something like that, but not sure if they were +p's or not. I carry a Kimber 3" and am thinking about loading it with +p's, or the short barrel specific rounds for maximum stopping power. Until then I'm just running the FMJs and feel that the OD and FPS is enough to do what the .45 did for years before modern bullet designs.

10mm that's a ton of gun, I guess you mean business. I'd like to have a 10mm as I don't currently own one, but for me, it's a bit much for my concealed carry needs. Stay safe

GBK

No they are just JHP rounds winchester put out in the early 90's, I believe they are still selling them as ranger SXT.

I carry a .45acp 1911 for 3 reasons.

1) It's a classic round in a classic gun
    2) I shoot it really well and it carrys well despite the weight.
    3) I shoot my 1911 better than my other guns in .40sw and 9mm so I trust it more. That's not to say I can't put my G23 on target. I sure can.

For bear I'd start at 10mm and go up from there. I'd actually go for a .454 or bigger provided I can handle it (never fired one).
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links