Why I am considering a 45acp!

This is a discussion on Why I am considering a 45acp! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Kahr PM9, Glock 23, so 9mm and .40 S&W are covered, I am aware of the ballistics of both. The 45acp would ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I am considering a 45acp!

Why I am considering a 45acp!

I have a Kahr PM9, Glock 23, so 9mm and .40 S&W are covered, I am aware of the ballistics of both. The 45acp would be for a backpack gun for four legged creatures, some black bear country, some times CC gun. I am thinking of deer hunting with the 45acp out to 40 yards or so.

I have a son who was involve in a shooting and his duty caliber is .40 S&W, one shot and the criminal was dead. For sure shot placement was the most important part of the shooting.

My other son is a paramedic and he sees shootings all the time like on a weekly basis. He has told me after 10 years of seeing shootings that the .45acp is the most likely to kill because of the shock to the body.

He has seen multiple wounds from 9mm and 40 S&W, and the patient walks to the gurney. The victims of .22lr wounds are often not aware they were shot several times, however, can die at the hospital or on the way to hospital, because the bullet bounced around in a vital area.

I am a believer no matter what caliber you use, you must shoot until the threat stops.

I am considering a 45acp because it makes a bigger hole, however, I feel I can make many follow-up shots with my 9mm with lower recoil. If I had a 45 acp I would shot until the threat stops.

I don't believe any caliber is a man-stopper, shot placement is the key.

So is the 45acp worth it? That is cost of new gun, ammo, holster and accessories. Whats your thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

My other son is a paramedic and he sees shootings all the time like on a weekly basis. He has told me after 10 years of seeing shootings that the .45acp is the most likely to kill because of the shock to the body.

Seems like a good reason to go with 45ACP.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

That may be a little weak for black bears. I would feel better with a 44 mag.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

VIP Member
    If this is to be primarily a backpack or hunting gun I think you would be better served with a .357 or .44mag since both would offer more ammo selection and greater power.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Michsteve:

Well, there have been NUMEROUS threads here on this forum, with much heated arguments (Uuhm, I mean passionate discussions) regarding this very subject: bullet weight & impact force versus magazine capacity versus rapidity of follow-up shots, costs of ammo, etc, etc, etc.

Everybody has an opinion and everybody has a preference. In my mind it comes down to persoanl preference. After my Glock .40 was stolen I went back to a 1911 in .45 simply because while I liked my Glock, I was trained in the Army to shoot 1911 in .45 and I just wanted to go back to my roots. Carry and shoot WELL what is comfortable for you..........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

In bear country with a 45acp what would be the best choice for defense against large bears, FMJ or HP?
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm a firm beliver in hitting them with the biggest stick I can carry, and that's why I bought a .45 CAP. I'll never brag about 1" groups at 25 yards, so if I get only one shot on target, I want it to be a big one.
    As for the big, furry creatures, I wouldn' bet my life on the .45 ACP when other cartridges are available. For combined SD and the walk in the woods, I'd say a 10mm would be more suitable. Keep in mind that a pissed-off bear may not stop for any handgun rounds. You need penetration and to break bones with large, dangerous animals. Heavy jacketed hunting bullets or FMJ.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I would go FMJ for penetration.

Senior Moderator
    There have been numerous articles refuting the notion of shock to the body from a handgun round. I just read a report the other day that more people have been killed with .22's than any other round.

A buddy of mine that has been in the emergency response business for over 20 years has seen I don't know how many gunshot wounds (GSW) and he says he nor the forensic guys can tell what caliber made the wound UNLESS they find the bullet. So this guy carries a 9mm.

Just recently here in Chattanooga, the police shot an armed man around twenty times with .45 before they were satisfied he was incapacitated.

But, having said all that, I find myself drifting from 9mm to .45ACP. It's not because of inconclusive evidence that it's the best caliber, but because when I look at a 9mm beside a .45ACP, it's a huge difference and to me, psychologically I suppose, I like what I see.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Moderator
    I've seen lots of dead black bears.

Seeing black bears that have been shot with most hunting calibers and shooting longways through one with a 350 grain Maxiball, and watching him run over 100 yards, I would say that if are serious, then forget the .45 ACP. With hollowpoints, they may or may not expand because they'll plug up with hair or fat.

Go with the most serious semi auto round that you can get.

That would be the 10MM. The Glock 20 holds 16 I think, and is as concealable as any other Glock.

I personally think that any handgun that you can conceal will be a bit light duty for a sure kill on a bear, so you might as well go with the best round out there.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    ...I personally think that any handgun that you can conceal will be a bit light duty for a sure kill on a bear, so you might as well go with the best round out there.
    I second that!

If bear is the primary critter, perhaps one of the more powerful revolver rounds - I'd think a .44 mag would be a minimum.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I'm a huge fan of the .45 ACP round, but it wouldn't be my first choice against ANY potentially dangerous animal. However, if the .45 were my only choice in the matter, I would want a full 5-inch barrel for higher velocity and hopefully some expansion.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Interesting. I didn't even know it was legal to hunt deer with a pistol.

Anyways, I think 45ACP is the best round for self defense, so yeah, I'd say you should have it :)
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

If I were to buy a handgun for bear, it would be the big dog, 500 S&W.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I myself feel Well Armed with my Ruger Security Six 4in with 158gn SJSP & a few speed loaders I dont think i'll run into anything down here in FL.
    that I could'nt Stop PS I shoot that gun as well as I can shoot any other gun I own ; ) Stay Safe & Carry What Feels right to YOU
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links