First Documented Walther PPS .40 S&W Kaboom Reported on PPS Talk

This is a discussion on First Documented Walther PPS .40 S&W Kaboom Reported on PPS Talk within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sig35seven Wonder if he was using reloads. thats what I'm smelling here......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: First Documented Walther PPS .40 S&W Kaboom Reported on PPS Talk

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Wonder if he was using reloads.
    thats what I'm smelling here...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

2. Remove Ads

Wow. I have a P99 9MM that I have about 5K rounds through. It is my only plastic pistol besides the G21 I just bought and haven't shot yet. i can't imagine it going KB and staying together as well as that one did.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

jyo
    I too feel that the .40 S&W round is a little too much for small framed guns---having said that, I would be interested in knowing what caused the problem---stuck bullet in bore---poorly reloaded ammo---etc. I say send the pistol back to S&W and have them check it out---a report on that would be nice. Good thing shooter was not hurt.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty908 View Post
    [off topic rant] Why can't people understand what the Macro button on thier camera does? [off topic rant/]

-Tim S.
    That does indeed appear to be what messed these photos up so badly, and caused them to be so out of focus. The owner used a Kodak EasyShare C340 camera to take them. In normal mode, that camera can only focus as close as 2 ft. You have to instead put the camera into close-up mode, and then it can focus down to 7 inches.

I'm amazed that the owner was unable to figure this out. He must have realized how bad the photos looked.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by jyo View Post
    I too feel that the .40 S&W round is a little too much for small framed guns
    Depends. I'm fully confident that a Glock 27, with factory loads, can handle the .40 S&W.
    semperfi.45 likes this.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The 9mm version is my EDC of choice, but it's not all that soft of a shooter even in 9mm. .40 can't be good.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse one from freedom of thought.

I have the PPS in both 9 and 40 and I am pretty surprised to see it come apart like that. If you look at the construction of the PPS they are pretty stout. I would put the quality of construction over my M&P's or GLOCKS any day. I guess anything could happen, but I would initially think it was a bad load or a squib as earlier mentioned.

VIP Member
    I sure wish that we had some real data. I would bet that 80-90% of all kaboom's are in .40 cal.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I sure wish that we had some real data. I would bet that 80-90% of all kaboom's are in .40 cal.
    And I would bet that the majority of those are with reloads
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Folks, it seems the failure is a typical Kaboom that has afflicted all types of pistols including Glocks, Sigs etc. and is usually caused by bad ammo or a blockage of some sort in the barrel. A guru from PPStalk.com made this post that seems to be completely convincing and the pics of the failure with the Glocks are very similar to the chamber damage shown for the PPS. Here are his exact words:

"Even with poor quality pictures, the first pic on Lance's post probably tells the story. It looks like a classic Glock style "Kaboom" that has happened to several hundred Glocks and many other firearms over the years. Glock labs and independent labs have proven (nearly 100%) through metallurgy testing that defects did NOT cause the blow ups.

Most of these have already been mentioned in some form on this thread.

Glock findings: 1)Squib loads that allow a bullet to lodge in the barrel, subsequent firing causes blow up. 2)Firing lead bullets that foul the bore (leading) and increase pressures. 3)Light powder loading that causes irregular ignition and high pressures. 4)Over charge of powder in factory and hand loads causing high pressure. 5) Bore obstruction by foreign object. (In one case it was a cleaning brush!!!!!wow!)

Do some reading on Glock Kabooms (Kb's). Most will find it quite interesting. I have owned Glocks since 1991, all .40's and I reload, so I have been following this issue over the years. It has happened to every caliber that Glock produces, not just .40's. It has, of course, also happened to every other weapons manufacturing companies firearms at one time.

Bottom line is that I will continue to fire my Glocks and my Walthers (and Rugers, S&W's, etc) with confidence and I will continue to shoot my reloads and factory ammo. I will not fire steel or aluminum cased rounds in my semi-auto handguns, that has been my policy for years. I just do not like them. Again, I hope we get to hear about the results of this from Walther and/or S&W.

Here are a few Glock KB pictures:

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I wish that too. The OP says that different kind of ammo were used, including Winchester, Remington, Federal, and Wolf; I wonder what else.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Bmd

Walther pps catastrophic failure

I bought a walther pps oct 27th last Sunday I was shooting it for the third time since I have own the gun. It had only shot 100 rounds befor it blew up in my hand. The polymer reciver is cracked in 5 places and a spring is poking out from the reciver and slide. I was not hurt but the gun has seen better days. I was shooting federal target ammo. I'm waiting for s&w to get me a return shipping label. I hope the this is not a regular thing with this gun. I loved it it fit my hand great and shot very accurate . I am hoping to get a new gun as a replacement from s&w or federal. Has anyone else had a issue like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmd View Post
    I bought a walther pps oct 27th last Sunday I was shooting it for the third time since I have own the gun. It had only shot 100 rounds befor it blew up in my hand. The polymer reciver is cracked in 5 places and a spring is poking out from the reciver and slide. I was not hurt but the gun has seen better days. I was shooting federal target ammo. I'm waiting for s&w to get me a return shipping label. I hope the this is not a regular thing with this gun. I loved it it fit my hand great and shot very accurate . I am hoping to get a new gun as a replacement from s&w or federal. Has anyone else had a issue like this.
    I'm very glad you weren't injured. That's the main thing IMO.

The early .40 cal PPS's had some issues (note the date of the thread you've resurrected) and apparently some still do.

Was your pistol a .40 or 9mm? What ammo were you using? Can you post some pics?

BTW, I've had a 9mm PPS for four years with several thousand rds of assorted fmj/jhp through it with zero problems.

(As a side note, it's odd that most Glock and other kabooms always involve .40 S&W ammo.)
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links