Sig P250: A clarification about interchanges with what and how & other considerations

This is a discussion on Sig P250: A clarification about interchanges with what and how & other considerations within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There has been lots of stuff floating around about what interchanges to what size and caliber. The following only applies to the newer version of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P250: A clarification about interchanges with what and how & other considerations

Senior Moderator

Sig P250: A clarification about interchanges with what and how & other considerations

There has been lots of stuff floating around about what interchanges to what size and caliber. The following only applies to the newer version of the P250.

Essentially, everything interchanges - you can change to and from any of the following calibers - 9mm, .357 sig, .40 S&W, and .45ACP, and any of three frame sizes, full, compact, and subcompact, but there are some things to know.

First let's get this out of the way. IF you have a .40 S&W and want to go to a .357 sig or vice versa, WITHOUT changing gun sizes all you need is a barrel, which you can buy from Sig.

However, if you want to change sizes, or change calibers (other than .357 sig to/from .40 S&W) you have to buy the appropriate 'kit'. The kit consists of a complete slide assembly (bbl included), a grip module and one magazine. Further, you can choose one of three grip sizes on the full and compact size, and two grip sizes on the subcompact.

There are some things that would be nice, but not available. For example, suppose I want to go from .40 S&W to 9mm of the same size. One would think that since the grip sizes are the same, all I'd need is the slide assy. and magazine. However, that isn't an option. ALL kits come with a grip module.

This is my opinion and it's free, but, I think the reason any caliber change kit (other than .357 sig to/from .40 S&W) must have an appropriate grip that locates the ejector in the proper position according to caliber. Hence the need for a grip module by caliber.

If it's any consolation, the grip module only costs $45.

So a couple of examples:
    1- I have a full size .45ACP and I want to go to a 9mm compact. I buy a compact 9mm kit ($379 from Sig) and simply put my trigger module in the 9mm kit.

2- I want to go from my .45 ACP full size to a compact .357 sig. Same as above, just buy the compact .357 sig kit and install my trigger module - $379.

3- Want to convert my .357 sig compact to a compact .40 caliber. Just buy the .40 caliber barrel.

4- I want to go from my .45 ACP full size to .357 sig subcompact. Buy the .357 sig subcompact kit and install the trigger module.

5- .45 ACP full size to .45 ACP compact or subcompact. Buy the compact or subcompact kit. Install the trigger control unit.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

I own a "newer" version of the Sig 250 in 9mm. Bought the "kit" for 40 S&W which came with a slide, magazine, and takedown lever. I cannot get different grip modules from Sig. The only "kit" I have found and bought came without a grip, and was meant for COMPACT not full size. Must be soon, how else can one explain the Sig Sum 2 packages they have been dropping all over the gun shops.

Senior Moderator
    I realize you have the newer style, but could your kit be for the older style?

I asked Sig about the 'kits' this morning before I posted this. The only kit they sell contains the slide assembly, a grip module, and a magazine. I specifically asked if I had a 9mm compact and wanted to convert it to a .357 sig of the same size if I could just get the slide assembly and the magazine. The answer was, without hesitation, and without a 'just a minute, I'll have to check' - no. All kits come with a grip module.

So I'm not sure how you got a kit without the grip module. Maybe that was an option with earlier kits.

I agree that you have it down right, just wanted to let people know that the cost of the barrel change from .40S&W to .357SIG is $203. Just bought one a few weeks ago. That's grand total, shipped and in my hand.

Senior Moderator
    Ananael,
    You're makin' it awful hard! It's all I can do not to order a compact kit for a .357 sig, and here you are converting from a .40 to the .357 sig. I think its a good move although .357 sig ammo is a bit harder to find, i.e Walmart doesn't carry it - or maybe they were just out, but I didn't see a place on the shelf for it.

For me the only issue is grip size. It's a shame they couldn't go the insert route like everybody else but I think the smaller grips are thinner as well as smaller front to back - you know?

I don't even know what grip size I got with my full size .45. Hmmm, I wonder if it's marked some where?

I believe you're right about them being slimmer, as well as a shorter reach to pull, but I'm not positive and I don't have 2 of the same class to compare. They come standard with Mediums, except in subcompact, which always comes with Small. By the way, I run mine with a compact slide assembly, but a subcompact grip frame, which I bought after getting the compact pistol, and it runs great.

I got the .357SIG barrel just to try out the round because I've heard so many good things, but I wanted the .40 first so I could actually find ammo to use on a regular basis; for some reason, in my area, .40 is the easiest ammo to find, even over 9mm. 45 is next on the list, though, and I think the full size is in order for that round!

While I like the concept and the smooth DAO trigger, I think the $379 price for the kits is crazy. For ~ $120 more I can buy a whole Glock, and have another pistol if one goes down or is out of service for whatever reason.

With a LEO or GSSF discount, you can get a Glock for ~ $400.

If you like the Sig P250, get one. If you want another in a different size/caliber - you might as well just buy another one.

For the "kit" concept to make sense, the price has to drop to, say, $200.

JMHO.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    While I like the concept and the smooth DAO trigger, I think the $379 price for the kits is crazy. For ~ $120 more I can buy a whole Glock, and have another pistol if one goes down or is out of service for whatever reason.

With a LEO or GSSF discount, you can get a Glock for ~ $400.

If you like the Sig P250, get one. If you want another in a different size/caliber - you might as well just buy another one.

For the "kit" concept to make sense, the price has to drop to, say, $200.

JMHO.
    This thread is about the interchangibility issues, not rational for buying the P250.

But most of us can not get a Glock for $400. Around here they're $550 and no discount for ordinary citizens. Hence two Glocks would cost $1100, and as I recall, the 2Sum kit from Sig is like $700. I saw one listed for $687. And both slides have night sights. So let's compare one to one:

a full size P250 with a kit for a subcompact - say $700. (and there's likely a LEO discount available as well.)
    Two Glocks without night sights $1100 plus two sets of night sights, say $150 = $1250

$1250 - $700 = $550! That's enough difference to buy the 2Sum and a Glock. Of course we need to subtract say $90 for two mags to be even, so a savings of $450.

But I do agree the kit is a bit high ($379). For another $210 one could simply buy another P250. But then $210 would buy a lot of ammo. Then if one wanted yet another size or caliber, that'd be another $210 extra for the full P250 instead of the kit. Now we're talking $420 savings for three guns by going the kit route - and they all have night sights.

If you buy the 2Sum deal - you're correct. Didn't realize they came with night sights - that's cool.

However, if you buy the Sig P250 for ~$500, and then get a kit later for $379...well, not so much a good deal IMHO. Remember that you still have only one fire control unit, so you only have one pistol at a time. You cannot use one as a primary and another as a back-up. If the FCU goes down, you have no working gun.

Two Glocks with night sights would run you about $1200 (if no discounts). So the Sig would save you about $300, but you still only have one pistol at a time.

Don't mean to derail the thread - but I think a discussion of the merits of the concept fits in with a discussion of the mechanics of the concept.

For the record, I've not shot a Sig P250, but I have handled them at the ol' gun store. If I was starting all over again today, I would give them a serious look.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    Well, based on the assumption that one would only have two guns, two complete guns would have some merit, IF one intended to carry both at the same time, or if one failed AND that failure involved the trigger control unit. If the trigger control unit is not the problem, one just switches to the other kit, not in a gun fight of course. But I find that guys that carry two guns almost always have more than just two guns.

A full size P250, .45ACP, what I have, plus a P250 subcompact bought separately would be a total of about $1178 at my local gun store. The same gun store gets $550 for Glocks without night sights - that's $1150 for two Glocks. The night sights I've priced, Mepros (although I usually buy Trijicons - closer to $100), go for about $75 - again at my local store, so that's a total of $1300 for two Glocks with night sights.

The difference between two complete P250s and two Glocks is the P250s with night sights cost $122 less.

So for less than the price of two Glocks we can buy two complete P250s, and have the option of three different grip sizes in the full and compact sizes and two grip sizes in the subcompact, where Glocks have no options. Well, unless one buys the Gen 4 Glocks, but then they're even more expensive, hmmm, I say that, but I don't really know that's true.

Also, if one buys two Glocks at two separate times, there will be two background check fees - not much but it comes with every gun purchased (separately). Going with the P250 and kits, you only have one background check fee no matter how many sizes and calibers you buy. Then....

You see a guy on the forum has a P250 kit in a size and caliber you've been wanting and he's got a good price on it. You can buy it from him without an FFL being involved, no expensive overnight shipping, no background check, just drop the kit in the USPS and it's on the way. I consider that a major advantage.

What I'm expecting to see is an internet exchange group where users actually buy, trade, and sell used P250 kits.

Yup...I'm not a "collector." I have a G19 for the home (and backup carry), my EDC G26, and a LCP as a backup gun. My wife has her EDC LCP as well. That's it. For now. (I'm not counting my Iver Johnson .22 revolver which is more of a "fun gun.")

I agree with you about the Sig P250's ability to switch platforms without the "paperwork hassle." That is a nice thing!

I wonder about those places where they keep a fired casing on file, or where you need to have your firearm listed on your CCW permit/license. The Sig 250 must give them fits! That alone is a good reason to consider one!
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    ...I agree with you about the Sig P250's ability to switch platforms without the "paperwork hassle." That is a nice thing!

I wonder about those places where they keep a fired casing on file, or where you need to have your firearm listed on your CCW permit/license. The Sig 250 must give them fits! That alone is a good reason to consider one!
    I like the way you think!!!!

How's the trigger reset on those Sig 250's? I recall the trigger being smooth if long, and not too heavy. Can't recall what the reset point felt like.

I do like the short reset of the Glock trigger. My wife wants to try my G26, and if she decides to get something bigger than her LCP, I'd like her to consider the Sig as well.
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    How's the trigger reset on those Sig 250's? I recall the trigger being smooth if long, and not too heavy. Can't recall what the reset point felt like.
    Well, it's a true DAO, so you have to reset fully out to fire again; no intermediate reset like the SIG DAK trigger.

I have yet to fire a P250, but I have dry fired them at the shop a few times and I have to say I like the trigger (for a DAO ).
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Moderator
    Un-huh, I hear ya about the DAO - I'm surprised anybody could hit anything with a DAO trigger - but wait here's one guy that can:

If you ever wanted to see Tangle, here he is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctFLYHW7lc8

And here's another with two revolvers shot DAO compared to a M&P fs .45 ACP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkFIlpttkq4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links