Full size and compact, 9 or 40? - Page 2

Full size and compact, 9 or 40?

This is a discussion on Full size and compact, 9 or 40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ctsketch can the USPc and the USP share mags? I don't think so. The USPc, P2000 and P2000sk with a sleeve, can ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full size and compact, 9 or 40?

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    can the USPc and the USP share mags?
    I don't think so. The USPc, P2000 and P2000sk with a sleeve, can share the same mags.
    HK: P30 v3
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I use whatever I'm carrying that day for HD...and a 12 ga. I may answer the door with my XD40sc in my hand or pocket, but it is just enough to get me to my Mossberg 500. For me, I practice enough with my sub compact 40 that I am very confident in my HD abilities with it. I don't see a need for a dedicated HD weapon other than my 12 ga. Looking at your list of guns, seems like you've got your bases covered with HD and CC....unless you're just looking for a reason to buy another firearm. We're all looking for that!!!
    I feel like my current collection is a bit scattered and varied. I love the USPc, but it feels quite heavy on the hip. I've always felt better knowing my pistols have the slide safety, however, that may change as I start carrying more. I've felt from day one that the Ruger SR9C should've held 12 rounds like the M&Pc in th same size magazine; at the time of purchase the extra $150 for the Smith was a stretch. Once/if I get comfortable without the need for manual safety I may get a p2000sk LEM and then convert my USP to the same trigger (I have another post on that topic). HKs are pricey tho, the M&P lineup looks pretty good too and the safeties on those can be removed as necessary down the road.

So yes, it sounds like I'm trying to justify more purchases but in fact I'd like to narrow my collection down to 2 or three compatible pistols that give me several options without having several guns.

I believe between Glock and XD they have the best Sub Compact, Compact, Full Size, Tactical interchangeability. That being said some people love them and some people hate them for various reasons... I tend to love them both because I believe they are well-made and can get the job done and have not let me down. I have recently toyed with the idea of having 2 of the same gun ( 2 x G19) or at least 2 guns that are similar in size and control but different caliber (ex. G17 and G22)... I like both the 9 mm and the .40 so you will see no caliber debate from me... I also like the .45 and .357 Sig... Recently I have found myself very 9 mm heavy as far as weapon systems and I am okay with that... In a perfect world I would have two Glock 19s or two Glock 17s or Glock 19 and Glock 17 and MSAR that uses Glock magazines and/or similar configuration in .40. While some people are not fans of pistol carbines, I like them and having the ability to have everything in one caliber makes things much easier. While I love my CX4 Storm I am not a fan of Beretta handguns.
    Right now I am also toying with the idea of a 3.8 XDM in 9 mm and 3.8 XDM in .40... There is no one right answer but the planning and dreaming process has been fun, lol... Good Luck!!!

That being said I miss my HK USP and USP Compact and some of the other guns that have come and gone...

+1 what BugDude said. The 12 gauge is always available at home. Carry gun is usually a .40 steyr S40 (compact), although sometimes it's a CZ 75 bd (9mm). I shoot the CZ better than the steyr, but the steyr is easier to conceal. The choice all depends on where I'm going, and what I'm wearing. Due to my work, I'm only able to carry in my car, at home, evenings, and on weekends.
    Steyr S40
    S&W 22-4
    Ruger GP100

Quote Originally Posted by Klash545 View Post
    if you're gonna shoot 40 you might as well go up to 45,the price of ammo is roughly the same. i shoot 9mm and 45 only 40 really has no benefits over either
    you can find 40 easier and cheaper than 45 .

I forgot the last time seen 45 at wally world ....

jyo
    Since you already have an HK USP Compact in 9mm (and like it), I would consider the HK P2000 also in 9mm---takes the same mags. I have this pair and really like them. Unfortunately, the full size USP and the smaller HKs don't use similar or interchangeable mags. On the ammo side, 9mm can be found much cheaper then .40 or .45---with the right JHPs 9mm is fine for solving problems.

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan23 View Post
    you can find 40 easier and cheaper than 45 .
    The $$ of .40 around here has dropped a bunch lately. $14/50 $69/250

Quote Originally Posted by Takedown View Post
    Glock is in fact one of three I mentioned....

I like both the 9 and the .40, each have their place and time. Since I already have both in the Compact USP I'm thinking of trading the 9mm for the HK P2000sk which uses the larger magazines from the USPc lineup. I'm just not sure whether to get another .40 and share mags or get another 9 and have both.

Guess I misunderstood. I was refering to the five guns you list as owning at the bottom of your thread, 2 HK's, 2 Rugers, and the Taurus. I was comparing yours to what I currently own and have experience with..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by jyo View Post
    Since you already have an HK USP Compact in 9mm (and like it), I would consider the HK P2000 also in 9mm---takes the same mags. I have this pair and really like them. Unfortunately, the full size USP and the smaller HKs don't use similar or interchangeable mags. On the ammo side, 9mm can be found much cheaper then .40 or .45---with the right JHPs 9mm is fine for solving problems.
    Actually the 9mm USPC is not as accurate as the .40, in fact I'm thinking of getting rid of it for whatever I decide to go with next. I'm leaning toward the P2000sk but can't decide on whether ot have the 9mm to give me the option of another caliber or to get the .40 and share the larger mags. The problem with the latter is that I may run into the same situation I did with my SR9's, once I got the compact version which shared the full size mags using a sleeve, I no longer needed the full size at all; in fact the compact was more accurate anyway.

Decision over..... for now

Went to LGS for quick preview of a few pistols. Got a great deal on a trade for my USPc 9mm against a P2000sk .40sw, couldn't pass it up. Makes a great companion to my USPc .40sw.

Thanks to all for your input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links