Full size and compact, 9 or 40?

This is a discussion on Full size and compact, 9 or 40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I could have the perfect setup it would include a full size and compact from the same manufacturer with the same configuration. One for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full size and compact, 9 or 40?

Full size and compact, 9 or 40?

If I could have the perfect setup it would include a full size and compact from the same manufacturer with the same configuration. One for home defense and one for carry. Some manufacturers are making the larger sized mags work in the smaller framed pistols with spacers or sleeves, HK, Glock, and S&W to name a few. If you were going to have one of each size, full and compact, would you buy different calibers and if so which one would you get in the full and which one in the compact?

I go back on forth on my thinking of this one, sometimes the larger frame with 9mm and a compact in .40 makes sense and at other times I could switch that up or even get the same caliber in both and then share the larger mags.
    Ruger: SR9, SR9C
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I standardized my pistol calibers a few years ago; It has made life a lot easier. I've also standardized my fighting pistols, and that does make life easier too. I recommend doing the same to for any one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I see you didn't list a Glock in your inventory, that's fine. Here's what I have come up with. I have a PT111 PRO and a 24/7 PRO both Taurus, and they work ok for me in the capactity you are describing. BUT? Since I purchased my G26 I've learned this. First I can hit with the 26 way better than the other two mentioned pistols and the magazine interchangablity is much more versatile. The 19 or 17 for instance can go to the 26, not the other way around of course. My two Taurus pistols can't do that, no way. Therefore my choice is to get a new 19 and go Glock all the way. I am speaking of 9mm in all this and feel it's up to the task with the right ammo. For myself this summer my 26 has been with me no matter what I wear, shorts tee's, moving furniture, gun safe's, don't matter. So a slightly larger 19 will be just fine in the cold winters we have here, heck I can carry both.

So enough on my thought's. I really think the G26, G19 will be my settling point until they come out with star war type stuff.

Just got to keep working at it find what works for you. Great post and good luck. Lastly my G26 is super accurate for such a small pistol..FWIT
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I standardized my pistol calibers a few years ago; It has made life a lot easier. I've also standardized my fighting pistols, and that does make life easier too. I recommend doing the same to for any one.
    I agree.. Fight with what you train with.... same platform develops same muscle memory ... same caliber easier to buy one kind and train with it..... for me I would go with the M&P40 H/D and M&P40 compact EDC.... IMO... the 9mm vs 40 debate has been beaten to death already... I love the 40S&W round I'm accurate with thats what I'm comfortable with. Some will same the same about the 9mm... it is personal choice... and what you can put rounds on target with... good luck
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

if you're gonna shoot 40 you might as well go up to 45,the price of ammo is roughly the same. i shoot 9mm and 45 only 40 really has no benefits over either

Quote Originally Posted by Klash545 View Post
    if you're gonna shoot 40 you might as well go up to 45,the price of ammo is roughly the same. i shoot 9mm and 45 only 40 really has no benefits over either
    I really have to disagree with your pricing advice. For example, go to Natchez Shooters' Supply and look at American Eagle Ammo in 9mm, 40, and 45. You will see:

9mm - $13 per box
    .40 - $15 per box
    .45 - $21 per box

9mm and .40 are in the same ball park, and .45 is 40% more than .40.

And the benefit of .40 is that it has more muzzle energy than either .45 or 9mm without the greatly reduced magazine capacity of a .45.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I really have to disagree with your pricing advice. For example, go to Natchez Shooters' Supply and look at American Eagle Ammo in 9mm, 40, and 45. You will see:

9mm - $13 per box
    .40 - $15 per box
    .45 - $21 per box

9mm and .40 are in the same ball park, and .45 is 40% more than .40.

And the benefit of .40 is that it has more muzzle energy than either .45 or 9mm without the greatly reduced magazine capacity of a .45.
    WWB at Wally World...per 100

9mm- $23.97
    .40 S&W- $29.97
    .45 ACP- $32.97

Fed. 9mm Champion is $9.47 per 50.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

The 40 is a great choice with good fire power. You can also switch barrels and have a 357 Sig if you so desire. Like two guns in one.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

I too came to the decision of standardizing my caliber choice. 9mm works for me. I don't care for .40. Shot it, tried my best to like it, but just couldn't in the end. Since I already have a G26, I am deciding if I will pick up a G19 or a G17. I'm leaning more toward the 19 just because I can CC it almost as easy as i can my 26.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

kpw
    I've tried to standardize. I'm down to 9mm, .45 ACP, .38 spl., .357 mag., .44 mag., .22 lr and .32 ACP.

I do shoot 9mm and .22 much more than all the others combined. I've had a bunch of .40s, love the round but it was one of the expendable ones.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by bsnow;
    I see you didn't list a Glock in your inventory, that's fine.
    Glock is in fact one of three I mentioned....

Quote Originally Posted by Takedown;
    Some manufacturers are making the larger sized mags work in the smaller framed pistols with spacers or sleeves, HK, Glock, and S&W to name a few.
    I like both the 9 and the .40, each have their place and time. Since I already have both in the Compact USP I'm thinking of trading the 9mm for the HK P2000sk which uses the larger magazines from the USPc lineup. I'm just not sure whether to get another .40 and share mags or get another 9 and have both.
    Ruger: SR9, SR9C
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klash545 View Post
    I would disagree.. I see the 9mm as having no benefits over the .40. the price of the 40 is closer to the price of the 9mm where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    I've tried to standardize. I'm down to 9mm, .45 ACP, .38 spl., .357 mag., .44 mag., .22 lr and .32 ACP.

I do shoot 9mm and .22 much more than all the others combined. I've had a bunch of .40s, love the round but it was one of the expendable ones.
    See I am feeling like the 9mm is the expendable round.

This is my take I'm just as accurate with the 9mm as I am with the .40 if not more with the .40... so why not shoot with a more powerful, larger round, the LEO's/FBI switched too...?

Sorry I was taught to shoot and carry the biggest round you can do so accurately and effectively.. Put down the threat is what we are all going for. I just choose a different round.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec View Post
    I would disagree.. I see the 9mm as having no benefits over the .40. the price of the 40 is closer to the price of the 9mm where I live.

See I am feeling like the 9mm is the expendable round.

This is my take I'm just as accurate with the 9mm as I am with the .40 if not more with the .40... so why not shoot with a more powerful, larger round, the LEO's/FBI switched too...?

Sorry I was taught to shoot and carry the biggest round you can do so accurately and effectively.. Put down the threat is what we are all going for. I just choose a different round.
    Around here, the .40 is more expensive. Sometimes, depending on what brand your buying, up to 50% more. The 9mm allows me more trigger time. With modern SD ammo, there is very little, if any, practical difference in effectiveness between any of them. I have yet to meet anyone that can shoot a .40 as quickly and accurately as a 9mm. Close? Yeah, but always a bit slower. I'm sure I'm going to hear different soon but timers don't lie.
    Personally, I love the .40 S&W. I carried one in one form or another for 15 years or so. For me, the 9 is fine and if I need bigger, my G30 fills the role. If I subscribed to the carry the biggest caliber I can shoot well thing, I'd be packing a 10mm G29 SF and going broke. For the record, I have no problem hunting deer and black bear with a .243 either. The point is, put a good bullet where it needs to go and things will sort themselves out just fine. There ain't a darn thing wrong with the .40 but it doesn't fill a need for me.
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

can the USPc and the USP share mags?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I use whatever I'm carrying that day for HD...and a 12 ga. I may answer the door with my XD40sc in my hand or pocket, but it is just enough to get me to my Mossberg 500. For me, I practice enough with my sub compact 40 that I am very confident in my HD abilities with it. I don't see a need for a dedicated HD weapon other than my 12 ga. Looking at your list of guns, seems like you've got your bases covered with HD and CC....unless you're just looking for a reason to buy another firearm. We're all looking for that!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links