Thinking of a new CCW firearm..... thoughts / idea's?

This is a discussion on Thinking of a new CCW firearm..... thoughts / idea's? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the gun show the other day because a friend of mine wanted my advice. While there I found two guns I so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a new CCW firearm..... thoughts / idea's?

Thinking of a new CCW firearm..... thoughts / idea's?

I was at the gun show the other day because a friend of mine wanted my advice. While there I found two guns I so wanted they just screamed my name. The first was a Para Warthog and oh it would have been great so I talked to the guy explained that I was a poor college student but I have a Para 1911 commander and we talked and he was very interested in it. So I ran home and got the firearm and went back. I must say I've never been treated that bad before. The guy looked at my firearm and I apologized because it was dirty since I shot it a few days ago. His response was "Someone should slap you for that." I bit my tongue though because I wanted the warthog. Well then the dealer only offered me $480 for my firearm, a firearm that I could get $650 for easy. So I declined and got out of there. Well I'll I was walking around a lot of people wanted to look at my firearm and I got several people who offered to buy it. I just didn't feel it so I kept going, now keep in mind every time I talked to a dealer or just any one I told them what this guy did and how he treated me. Well finally I get to a table that has a two tone Sig Sauer P238, I was just blown away. The little thing felt amazing in my hand and it is much lighter then my P6 that I carry.
    So I have it in my mind now that I need a P239 so I've been hitting the research and have found a lot of information. However, I have not found out to much on how it carries and about people who use it for CCW. Figured I'd drop you a line and see if you know any one who use's it and or have shot it yourself. Any advice would be great.

2. Remove Ads

Are you talking about the .380 or the 9mm/.40 S&W?

On the P238, I've never shot one, but I know a guy who has one and he loves it. It's his pocket carry BUG. It is very accurate for a little pocket .380. The three dot sights Sig uses probably helps that a lot.

On the P239, I've got on in .40 S&W. It shoots like a dream and carries very easily in a deep concealment shoulder holster. It disappears under a t-shirt in an Uncle Mikes IWB holster, though it would carry (and draw) better in a better holster that gives a little more support (something with two clips).
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I'm look at the Sig P239 in 9mm. I like the idea of the shoulder holster because that is one of the way's I carry. Right now I use the Sig P6 and it's a beautiful gun don't get me wrong. There is just something about the P239. On your .40 is it a heavy gun to CCW? I have heard some say that it's great but it's a little to heavy. My friend has a Kahr CW9 but it's a toy, to light, to small.

Sometimes it's rather difficult for us to go where we want to. Sometimes the journey takes us too far away from what we know we have in the tank for gas. Lots of times, the most attractive deal finds us when we are not ready nor able. We also need to realize that in the gun dealing world, there are bargains to be found even though few and far between. We also must realize that dealers and gun shows are hit and miss on our intentions and we need to decide what's acceptable on our deal before walking in. Most folks set out with full intentions of making money off you on a deal. If all things were equal, there would be many in business or selling anything since profit is the sole intention. I say stick with what you've got until you can see the sun breaking out of the clouds. It's no emergency, and you might need to pace yourself and become more focused on your decisions. Buyers should always rule the market...that's the way things were designed. I think you need a time out.......... Don't be overly anxious for the change you contemplate. The cool guy gets the deals and the one with the burning pocket gets taken to the cleaners.
    I'm wishing you the best.

Thanks RamRod, I truly enjoy hearing your words of wisdom. I think the thing that upset me the most is I went in on a deal that would have lost me roughly $150 and the buyer would have gained that. Not to mention how he treated me.. But yes I need to slow down and rethink things, that's how I got in trouble with my first two handguns, these being the Beretta M9 and this Para Commander. I got the M9 because growing up DieHard and Leathel Weapon where all famous. Very quickly I found that the M9 wasn't for me but the para taught me that I wasn't as horrible with handguns as my old teachers swore.

Sig P239 in 9mm

You asked about the Sig P239. I have one in 9mm, and it has become one of my favorite carry guns over the last couple of years. It seems to be just the perfect size - small enough to be easily concealed but large enough to fill my hand adequately. The gun is accurate, reliable and looks good, and its 9 round capacity seems to be a good compromise between a thin, single stack magazine and something with 15 round, double stack capacity. I realistically think that 9 rounds is all I will ever need. I wear mine in an ordinary DeSantis belt holster, and under a shirt worn outside it is adequately covered.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Lead Moderator
    I use a basic SIG 239 in 9MM when I can carry, and have loved it since the first day I shot it. The down side that most people point out about the 239 is the fact that it's a single stack, so you don't get that 15 rounds!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

cmb
    I have always been told to wait a minmum of 24 hours on any purchase, do your homework, read all you can, talk to others who have been there (all this usually takes more than 24 hrs) and then go prepared to buy. There are good deals and good trades out there and I do not mind paying someone for their time, talents or products but I don't like to overpay. I would look into the guns you want go to a large gun dealer or show to hold and examine a variety to see what you like as well as read here and other publications. I am always wanting to buy another gun the question I have to ask myself at this stage in my life with all my circumstances is: Am I pleased with my level of protection and my proficiency with the items I have for defense. Granted there are things I want but do I need them... Is what I am purchasing going to increase my proficiency any? I think we all have battled the capacity vs. caliber what we must do is find our own balance based on our circumstances... anything after that is an extra... extras are ok but for me they must wait to a few other things are taken care of...

I would also consider the need for a back up gun and home defense since you seem to have a couple pistols... the search function hasn't been working well lately but there was a thread a while back about the priority of firearms, what do you need and in what order, here is my consensus:
    1. Primary Carry Gun
    2. Back up Carry Gun (pockets/ankle compatible)
    3. Home Defense / Survival Rifle (I prefer semi-auto mag fed med caliber)
    4. Home Defense Shotgun
    5. 22 Rifle
    6. 22 Handgun

while the order can change I think many would concur on these, if ever you needed to live off the land a 22 is invaluable, in the home a shotgun is possibly the most effective weapon, a medium cailber rifle (223, 7.62x39) can get decent sized game 100+ out and feed you as well as protect you in a emergency situation... I operated this way... to me everything else is a fun extra purchase for a gun enthusiast who likes variety and shooting

I have a P239 in 9mm. Although I think it is a very nice gun and a great shooting firearm, I have found that for ME, there are lighter, easier to carry choices that offer more in terms of capacity. That is what I feel I need for my own personal comfort level. You comfort level will be different of course, but the P239 is a great gun and if it meets your needs in terms of a CCW piece, that is all that matters.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

Great advice everyone! I have enough firearms for the necessity expt a bug gun, I got rid of my pocket pistol because Airlights are great but when that self defense round goes off there is not enough there to help cushion it. I am one of those firm believers that you need a hunting rifle, plinking rifle / pistol, self defense pistol / carbine / shotgun, and of course my carry pieces. The reason I was willing to cave in on that WartHog is because I already did my research and I have wanted one for a couple years but didn't want to spend the money on a brand new one. The P239 is a single stack mag but well I am a firm believer that a pistol is what you use to get to your main gun and if I am in a sitution where I need more then 9 shots in my CCW I messed up and I"m in a situation I should have never have been in. If that happens like my knife fighting / street fighting / baton / and self defense teacher said in his class "When it comes to them or me it will be me because I"m going home to my babies." With that I don't mind taking one of theirs for a shield or plan shot and run... shot and run...

You already have a Sig P6 which is a Single stack 9mm and you want a P239 which is also a Single stack Sig 9mm? If you dont like weight, but want a 9mm CCW in a compact or subcompact size, you need to look at polymer, Glock 19 or 26, or even a M&P Compact. The 19 and 26 are awesome CCW weapons, and ultra lightweight and reliable. That is where I would steer ya.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ckfarris View Post
    I have a P239 in 9mm. Although I think it is a very nice gun and a great shooting firearm, I have found that for ME, there are lighter, easier to carry choices that offer more in terms of capacity. That is what I feel I need for my own personal comfort level. You comfort level will be different of course, but the P239 is a great gun and if it meets your needs in terms of a CCW piece, that is all that matters.

I agree 100% with ck, and in my case, I just never bonded with this firearm, and ended up trading it for a Sig 250 subcompact, which I now carry daily. The 250 weighs about 5 oz. less, carries 12+1 rounds, and it's a true Sig!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Kahr MK40

KAHR.jpg

Kahr MK40. Kicks like a mule, but brings hell if you need it. All stainless no plastic (- grips).

Glock 19. Simple as that. There's no romance to it, but, for a 9mm, the size/performance efficiency of the Glock 19 is hard to beat.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Glock 19. Simple as that. There's no romance to it, but, for a 9mm, the size/performance efficiency of the Glock 19 is hard to beat.
    When I started looking at Glocks, one thing that really suprised me was how compact they are relative to their caliber and capacity. My G23 is noticeably more of a concealable size than my old XD, in the same caliber... and it beats it in capacity.
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links