First time at a firing range!

This is a discussion on First time at a firing range! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, as part of my pre-buying research for my first handgun I talked to my friend George about going out to a local range and ...

Thread: First time at a firing range!

First time at a firing range!

Well, as part of my pre-buying research for my first handgun I talked to my friend George about going out to a local range and shooting his handguns to get a better idea of what I would like to buy. He brought and eclectic mix of four different handguns for us to shoot; 9mm Browning High Power ('66 vintage!), .38 Colt Detective Special snubby, 9mm Taurus compact, and some sort of fancy .22

I have to say, I've read about guns and weapons in general since I was a kid, so I was pretty pumped to get to shoot the Browning. I knew I was holding a legendary gun, and from the moment I picked it up it lived up to it's hype. The grip felt awesome, pointed naturally, and allowed me to shoot more acurately than I thought I would be capable of. It turned out to be my favorite of his bunch. The snubby was fun, but I was totally unable to shoot accurately with it even at 12 yds. It now seems odd to me that snubby revolvers are recommended for self defense to new gun owners who won't train much with their weapon. Because of my novice skills, I would have to shove it in an attacker's face to hit anything. It did look nice though. The Taurus compact was a small polymer framed gun, so was light but didn't feel as natural as the Browning. Like most modern guns it also had alot more safety features and levers, which actually made it kind of hard for me to understand how it worked, but I shot ok with it. The little .22 could make a 'dead eye' out of a monkey, it was so easy to shoot! I also bought enough cheap .22 ammo at Walmart to last until the next millinium.

All in all I had a GREAT TIME! The facility was very safe and run totally professional. I was telling my friend that I actually felt safer there than at the paintball field I frequent. Plus it was so relaxing, with paintball I'm running around on adrenaline for a few hours and at the end of the day I'm totally exausted and sore. This was definately a nice change of pace.

So after weighing this experience with my recent trip to Academy sports were I handled several different guns, I have to say I'm probably going to buy a full size, steel CZ75B 9mm. I pretty much fell for the CZ75B as soon as I picked it up, and it had the same great grip and ergonomics as the High Power. Once I get comfortable shooting and handling handguns I can always buy a Glock 26 or something soley for CCW. I think this will be a great start!

2. Remove Ads

GM
    It sounds like you enjoyed the day. I carry a newer BHP and I just love it; it is an awesome gun. I am a huge fan of the BHP and the 1911, and I think that those two are perhaps the best pistols ever made. You will hardly find a better 9mm than the BPH.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    welcome to the "club". Things that go bang are fun, loud, and useful.

Thanks for your post :)
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Good for you! Glad you had a good experience. Most times, the initial experience is the make it or break it for continuing on with one's intentions. I'm happy your initiation went well.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    CZ makes excellent firearms and is horribly under-rated against the likes of SIG, Glock, and other top-of-the-line pistol makers. You'll enjoy it!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    Yes, welcome to the club. Just know it's an expensive addiction..lol

Hopefully you find that perfect gun that becomes your constant companion.

Hey DustyBottoms! Big CZ 75B fan here too. These pistols are fine shooters and beautiful to boot.

Something to think about, just to help you start spending more money right away (lol!) CZ offers an excellent conversion kit called the Kadet. This lets you use your CZ frame--and by swapping out the slide for the Kadet--convert your CZ into a .22. This is a great way to practice with ammo that's even less $$ than the 9mm. It's a quick swap and has been really fun to have as an option. Great choice with the CZ 75B!
    In youth we learn; in age we understand. ~ Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

VIP Member
    Welcome.
    The CZ 75B is a great full size pistol that has a slight resemblance to the Browning Hi Power. It has overall good balance, is high capacity and easy to field strip.
    I like the DA trigger but not that SA. Too stiff for me. Even The DA trigger is sharp so you might get a sore finger from it but unlike most hi-powers it has an extended beaver tail that greatly reduces pinching at the web of your hand. It does not have a picatinny (accessory) rail for light or laser if that matters, and does not come with factory night sights. It is a good old gun design and worth owning. I'm just not sure if I would make it my first gun.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

That CZ is an awesome gun. Good choice. The CZ comes in lot sof compact varieties too that you may like for CCW. I am a Glock fan and cant say you would go wrong with a G26, but if you can stay in the same platform...why not? Congrats.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Even The DA trigger is sharp so you might get a sore finger from it but unlike most hi-powers it has an extended beaver tail that greatly reduces pinching at the web of your hand. It does not have a picatinny (accessory) rail for light or laser if that matters, and does not come with factory night sights. It is a good old gun design and worth owning. I'm just not sure if I would make it my first gun.
    I kept wondering the next day what this little scab on the web of my hand was from until I read about hammer bite on the Browing. As far as rails and things, that was one of the things I liked about the 75 was that it didn't have those things. I'm sort of a traditionalist at heart I guess.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Congrats, welcome to the forum, and welcome to the club! be forewarned though, you now have the bug... it will consume you, it will become an obsession to you. It is a new way of life. Enjoy!
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Congrats!

Glad you enjoyed the first time at the range. There's lots to learn about firearms. This forum is a great place to share and learn from others.

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    I too like CZ's. But mine is a CZ 83. That is a 380 cal. Still has a great feel and small enough to CCW.

Links