Who owns or carries a Saturday Night Special

This is a discussion on Who owns or carries a Saturday Night Special within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was checking out Gun Broker for small pocket pistols and came across some small inexpensive semi-autos. I have never owned on of the cheap ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Who owns or carries a Saturday Night Special

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

I was checking out Gun Broker for small pocket pistols and came across some small inexpensive semi-autos. I have never owned on of the cheap Ravens, Jennings, Bryco or Jimenez but wanted to get some info from actual owners and not just the gun snobs.

None of the owners can respond to your post...because they are missing their hands...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I bought a Jennings .22 around 1984 just for grins and to own a "SatNiteSpecial"; it has been a joy to shoot, nary a problem and, since it's only a .22 I really don't worry about losing my entire hand.

I bought a Lorcin L22 back in the early '90's and it is guaranteed to malfunction at least once with every mag. My Colt 1908 vest pocket however, is a totally different story. I paid $75.00 for the Lorcin NIB, what did I expect?

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i owned a jiminez ja380 for a while and put well over 1000 rounds through it...it was a ball to shoot..very accurate and reliable with a light fluff and buff per a website i got information off of...it drew quite a bit of attention at the range and several other people shot it also...a very comfortable gun to shoot...it would empty a mag as fast as i could pull the trigger and put em all where i wanted them...

it wasnt a carry piece...it has a marginal safety and no firing pin block...to be honest it was probably more dependable than a lot of lcp's and kel tecs ive read about but not a real high quality piece...

really enjoyed it while i had it...with the cost and availability of .380 i didnt see an advantage of keeping it cause it was only a range gun for me...so worked it into a trade on oone of my glocks at a gun show just to sweeten the deal for me...

GM
    It depends of the price. Some of them look pretty nice, and if they are cheap enough you can use them as paperweights. But do not forget to remove the fire pin .
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I had a Jennings .380 that I bought while I was young and didn't have alot of money to throw at a gun. It was horrible, FTF or FTE with just about every magazine. My GF's dad has a Bryco that he said was horrible. FTE on EVERY Round. As he knows very little about firearms, I took a look at it for him. It was EXTREMELY dirty, the rounds and Mags were rusting and sticking together so I thought...cleaning, new Ammo ect. after being cleaned very well, a new box of Ammo ECT this time it had a FTF on every round! EVERY ROUND!
    I do own two inexpensive pistols that I have had no problems with. A Hi Point and an FIE Titan tiger 38 Revolver. I have owned three Hi Points (two Pistols and a 9MM Carbine) and they have been great! They are accurate, low recoil due to weight and IMO very comfortable. The one issue that I have with them is that you have to use tools to break them down for cleaning. The FIE on the other hand has been a fantastic pistol comfertable, easy to use ECT, but beware. I have heard some Horror stories about these particular pistols that I haden't heard before I got it (before the internet).

I think that you would do much better buying cheap used Ruger or S&W or new inexpensive model. JMHO
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    None of the owners can respond to your post...because they are missing their hands...
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

I've got a Hi-Point 9mm that a lot of people would call a "Saturday Night Special", although I wouldn't. It's not exactly small but it's not really a lot bigger than most mid/full sized semi-auto's. It runs like a Timex watch.

Back in the day, I was often tempted to buy a Raven 25, or an RG 22. They had the one redeeming feature I absolutly had to have in a handgun...They were inexpensive. I mean $29.95 inexpensive. The problem was in those days, I didn't have $29.95 so they might as well have been $1,000,000. Were they "good guns?" Well, they were a lot better than nothing I would guess.

Not long ago, I saw a Raver 25, NIB for $99.00. I was tempted, if for no other reason, "old times sake."
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

VIP Member
    I too had a Lorcin .380 when I much younger and dumber-er. It was a typical POS, and I swore off the super cheap pistols ever after. For not much more money, I could have (and you can) get a reliable - if not stellar - handgun.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    now, y'all aren't gonna make fun of my RG-14, are you?

surv

I've heard you can sometimes find a Jennings for free, if you dig around in the hedge outside a courthouse. Apparently, a defendant will sometimes remember to ditch his gat, just before entering the courthouse, and going through the metal detector.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Yep, when I was younger (in the 1960's) I went through A Raven .25 (wouldn't shoot through one side of a 55 gal barrel. Later, a Bryco .380. Finally got a S & W .38 and realized what a real gun was like. FYI, Bryco went bankrupt due to a HUGE lawsuit about shoddy material where I believe a kid was killed and was bought out by Jiminez Arms. Now, I don't know how good or bad Jiminez is, but I junked my Bryco due to a cracked slide. I think it was made of a pot metal alloy. You do get what you pay for more often than not. Actually, the Raven never had a FTF or FTE ~ not bad for a REALLY cheap pistol. If you spend a little (or Lot) more for a really good weapon you can use it for years and still sell it for a good price. I learned the hard way.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

I almost bought one once.

It was called a "GLOCK" and was made out of plastic!

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Good stuff.............
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links