Changing Glock Sights

This is a discussion on Changing Glock Sights within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to order up a set of night sights for my glock 26 and have two quick questions. 1. Should the replacement be ...

Thread: Changing Glock Sights

Changing Glock Sights

I am going to order up a set of night sights for my glock 26 and have two quick questions.

1. Should the replacement be done by a gun smith or are they user servicable.

2. If they are user servicable what tools do I need to change the sights out?

Thanks!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Which night sights did you end up ordering for your 26? I have been thinking about getting night sights for my G19.

VIP Member
    With the right tools it is a piece of cake. To buy the tools though would probably cost more than the 'smith.

Are you doing both front and rear?
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

They are user serviceable if you're careful. You will need a poly punch, a small hammer, a vise or bench block, and a small (3/16th) socket that most companies include with the sight. The only risk to using a punch instead of letting an armorer use a press is that you must only tap the base of the sight, not the side where the lamps are. And don't whack too hard, gentle small taps. Some fronts come with locktite on the screw, some don't. You should degrease the screw and use some kind of threadlock on it. Don't overtighten the screw or it will snap off and ruin the sight.

The first step of whacking something worth a hundred bucks with a hammer ( or cutting it with a file) is the hardest step. Go for it and pretty soon you'll be cutting and whacking on other people's guns and stuff.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    Which night sights did you end up ordering for your 26? I have been thinking about getting night sights for my G19.
    I am going to get the Mepros. Mainly because they are the only ones I co uld find that offer the color combo I wanted.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    With the right tools it is a piece of cake. To buy the tools though would probably cost more than the 'smith.

Yes, front and rear

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    They are user serviceable if you're careful. You will need a poly punch, a small hammer, a vise or bench block, and a small (3/16th) socket that most companies include with the sight. The only risk to using a punch instead of letting an armorer use a press is that you must only tap the base of the sight, not the side where the lamps are. And don't whack too hard, gentle small taps. Some fronts come with locktite on the screw, some don't. You should degrease the screw and use some kind of threadlock on it. Don't overtighten the screw or it will snap off and ruin the sight.

The first step of whacking something worth a hundred bucks with a hammer ( or cutting it with a file) is the hardest step. Go for it and pretty soon you'll be cutting and whacking on other people's guns and stuff.
    +1 to superhouse15 , he knows what he talking about..

I have replaced several Glock sights with Aro-tek night sights, which install easily with two small set screws. It is much easier than obtaining a sight pusher. The website is www.arotek.com.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Remember to degrease and Loctite any screws involved.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

A 3/16 socket, red locktite, rubbing alcohol, a rubber mallet, and a bit of 2x4 is what I routinely change out front and rear glock sights with.

I just step on the slide (I'm 270, so I have a bit of heft to hold it down) on a soft surface (rubber mats), line up the edge of the 2x4 on the edge of the rear sight, and give the 2x4 a few whacks with a rubber mallet. The 2x4 won't mar you slide, or damage you tritium vials. It may dent the wood a bit though. Rather dent the wood and keep my gun and the tritium safe.

Here are a couple of good demo vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBho8KVs0L8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISUMm...eature=related

Thanks for all the info all. I got home from work today to find my sights had been delivered (+1 optics planet for the next day delivery of which I did not pay for). Took me about 30 mins to install them. Would have only taken 5 to be honest but I started off tapping the new sights in VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY softly. What superhouse 15 said is dead on accurate "The first step of whacking something worth a hundred bucks with a hammer ( or cutting it with a file) is the hardest step. Anyway, They glow like crazy and if nothing else I'm glad to have a standard 3 dot sight system that I am used to back. I think it will improve my overall accuracy quite a bit.

Yep. It's not rocket science, and once you do one, you will be doing all your buddy's for them.

Sounds like yer all set up.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post

What do you mean by right tools? Super glue and a bic lighter?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Links