Thinking of a trade

This is a discussion on Thinking of a trade within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I am considering trading my Kahr K40 covert for a new carry gun. it's a great gun, but i dont carry it much. ...

Thread: Thinking of a trade

Thinking of a trade

Hey guys I am considering trading my Kahr K40 covert for a new carry gun. it's a great gun, but i dont carry it much. I either carry my lcp for conveinence or my Kimber when I want a liitle more uumph. The kahe is a great gun but it weighs almost the same as the Kimber although it's smaller. I don't know what do you guys think? A small revolver maybe? Chime in as to what you might do. thx

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Your question is very broad, and I suspect you will get a variety of replies. But, since asked; you can't go wrong with a snub nosed .38 like any of the S&W Airweights. They are very easy to pocket carry (in a pocket holster of course) and can be shot with a variety of ammo, from light wadcutters to +P.

My personal choice was a S&W model 642. It is my go to gun when a quick trip to Walmart arises.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I agree. Everyone should have at least one Smith & Wesson J frame revolver.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

Yup, I always say get what you want..ive traded tons of guns and never regretted trading one for another one that I wanted or would use more..

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    You'll never guess what I'd recommend!

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Administrator
    Your covert should bring a premium price; I'd buy a nice J frame. The 442/642's are light weight inexpensive and a favorite carry gun for a whole lotta people.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think a J frame or Ruger LCR would be a great choice.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

i traded a springfield xd9 full size for my j frame 442 and havent looked back what a great little carry gun. small lighgt and a lot of punch

Since you brought it up I have a question. From time to time I think about trading but everytime I try to do so I feel like I'm dealing with a used car sellsman. "Well your gun's the wrong caliber,color,size,too small,too big,wrong manufacturer, we won't be able to sell it etc. I often have to chuckle as I'm listening to all this because if they where trying to sell it to me then it would be the best gun in the store.

Just the other day I take one of my guns to a local gun shop for a possible trade and he says what do you want for it? I say research tells me $500 dollars is a more than fair price. "I can only give you $200." I'm like ***? Then the phone rings and he answers it as two other sells people are twiddling their thumbs. So i gather my stuff and walk out. I don't expect market value on a trade but don't lowball me either.

Do I just have bad luck or is this common practice? I'd like to hear other's opinion on this.
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

sounds like bad luck my local gun shops are excelent to deal with sometimes you take a small hit but often not

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    Since you brought it up I have a question. From time to time I think about trading but everytime I try to do so I feel like I'm dealing with a used car sellsman. "Well your gun's the wrong caliber,color,size,too small,too big,wrong manufacturer, we won't be able to sell it etc. I often have to chuckle as I'm listening to all this because if they where trying to sell it to me then it would be the best gun in the store.

Just the other day I take one of my guns to a local gun shop for a possible trade and he says what do you want for it? I say research tells me $500 dollars is a more than fair price. "I can only give you $200." I'm like ***? Then the phone rings and he answers it as two other sells people are twiddling their thumbs. So i gather my stuff and walk out. I don't expect market value on a trade but don't lowball me either.

Do I just have bad luck or is this common practice? I'd like to hear other's opinion on this.
    We try and give the fairest price we can. There is a lot that goes into putting a value on a gun and timing is everything!!!!! What people on the internet are asking is a good place to start, but you gotta make sure you see what they acually sell for. Second you have to look at the local market. I will give you 3 great examples:
    1. Mini 14's are around $650 whole sale for a nice one, but only sell for around $350-400 in mint condition online. So the guy who paid $700 for one new is only gonna get $300-350 for a trade value.
    2. Shotguns I don't care what you paid for it if it is a mossburg 500 you wont get more than $200 for it in my area cuz the market is FLOODED.
    3. Weatherby's I have been watching the market and they are bringing around 35% of the retail value if they are used even if they are MINT.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Get a Glock 20.

Links