Looking for gun weights 'loaded' not empty

This is a discussion on Looking for gun weights 'loaded' not empty within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for the weights of some guns when loaded, not empty. The manufacturers only post them 'empty.' Anyone know where I can find ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for gun weights 'loaded' not empty

I am looking for the weights of some guns when loaded, not empty. The manufacturers only post them 'empty.'

Anyone know where I can find that info?

Or does anyone know what loaded wts are for:

XD subcompact carrying 13

S&W M&P fullsize 9mm carrying 17

S&W M&P compact 9mm carrying 12

Or...just tell me the weight of a single 9mm bullet? Maybe just the math will work!

Thanks
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I can't help you with specifics...other than to say that a gun's 'loaded weight' will vary somewhat depending on the grain of the bullet you choose to use.
    You could weigh your preferred ammo (# of rounds) and add that amount to a particular gun's weight.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

A 115 grain FMJ 9mm weighs .42oz. A 124 grain JHP 9mm weighs .49oz. Both measured are Federal brand, and the JHP are hydrashoks. Hope this helps!

You know you can load the magazine half way if you really want to cut down on weight
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

You can usually add about 2.5 ounces for an empty magazine. So, you're looking at close to 11 ounces for a loaded M&P mag and closer to 8 ounces for the compact XD and M&P mags.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    You know you can load the magazine half way if you really want to cut down on weight
    If you are still concerned about the weight, just tie a helium balloon to the trigger guard. Not only will you save a bunch of weight, but everyone will know you are just a super fun guy!

VIP Member
    Since ammo weights vary considerably based on style and bullet selections, its best to use your wife's digital kitchen scale, or buy one if you don’t have one. Of course, it’s generally cheaper to buy the scale than the wife, but her accessories do come in handy. I have the OXO Food Scale for about $49.95 from Bed, Bath & Beyond and it works great. It's very accurate from 1/8th ounce up to 11-pounds US and metric.

http://www.oxo.com/OA_HTML/xxoxo_ibe...&section=10057
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Just checked my XD9. 30.8 ounces with 13 rounds of 115 grain fmj's
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Thanks guys! That's enough to do some decent estimating.

And btw...for a couple of ya, I'm a lady and I dont have a wife....altho I could use one since my preferred 'housework' involves working outside on the farm, lol.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    I can't help you with specifics...other than to say that a gun's 'loaded weight' will vary somewhat depending on the grain of the bullet you choose to use.
    You could weigh your preferred ammo (# of rounds) and add that amount to a particular gun's weight.
    Tell me about it, I switched from 16 146 Gr Hydra-shok to 16 115 Gr DPX yesterday and it felt like my glockw as a pound lighter! lol.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    If you are still concerned about the weight, just tie a helium balloon to the trigger guard. Not only will you save a bunch of weight, but everyone will know you are just a super fun guy!
    Ha Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Tell me about it, I switched from 16 146 Gr Hydra-shok to 16 115 Gr DPX yesterday and it felt like my glockw as a pound lighter! lol.
    So you dropped about 1.5 ounces (probably a high estimate) in weight and noticed a difference, WOW! I can hardly notice the 9 ounce difference between my alloy frame Commander and my all steel 1911's.

I guess it depends on the person. I carry a 1911 (or a 226 or 229, etc.) for about 16+ hours a day and it doesn't bother me one bit. I've never had an issue with it. Then I see guys doing everything they can to cut weight on a gun that's already very lightweight.

A good holster with wide-spread loops will make more difference than a few ounces.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Use a postal scale. However, I have never understood why the manufacture reports the gun weigh empty....who carries an empty gun?
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    Use a postal scale. However, I have never understood why the manufacture reports the gun weigh empty....who carries an empty gun?
    If I may give my feeble explanation. Like it's well known, there are just too many different kinds of ammo out there for any manufacture to give the precise weight of every load you could use with there product. But what they can give you is the weight of there product and leave it to the consumer to use his or her own judgement to see if the weight of said gun is appropriate for them.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GlockJS View Post
    If I may give my feeble explanation. Like it's well known, there are just too many different kinds of ammo out there for any manufacture to give the precise weight of every load you could use with there product. But what they can give you is the weight of there product and leave it to the consumer to use his or her own judgement to see if the weight of said gun is appropriate for them.
    I understand that part, however, many report the gun weight minus the mag...once again, who carries without a mag?
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    I understand that part, however, many report the gun weight minus the mag...once again, who carries without a mag?
    The mag is another part at which could easily be removed and replaced by the consumer(ie. dan wesson mags in a kimber). I'm not saying this is the reason. But thats what I have come up with.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links