Safety of exposed hammer on P2000sk

This is a discussion on Safety of exposed hammer on P2000sk within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any chance that the exposed hammer could get caught up on something while carrying it causing the hammer to get pulled back and dropped on ...

Thread: Safety of exposed hammer on P2000sk

Safety of exposed hammer on P2000sk

Any chance that the exposed hammer could get caught up on something while carrying it causing the hammer to get pulled back and dropped on the firing pin? I'm getting my CC permit in the next couple of weeks and I bought a P2000sk V3 with exposed hammer and decocker to be my carry gun; contemplated the V2 with LEM and bobbed hammer but at the time figured the SA/DA was something I was already used to and couldn't find a LEM anywhere in town to test. Which one is safer to carry? Could the exposed hammer be a safety concern? Thanks.
    Ruger: SR9, SR9C
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The hammer could get caught on something but the chances are very slim that it would get caught and get caught in such a way that it cocks the hammer. Even if it did, the hammer can't fall unless the trigger is pulled. Even if the hammer could get pulled back and somehow fall, the firing pin block would prevent the gun from firing - again unless the trigger was pulled.

Between the DA/SA and LEM, I've been a DA/SA or DAO as in Glock trigger systems for years and years. But after a bunch of training schools and seeing cocked DA/SA guns holstered and 1911s holster with the safety off, mostly in introductory courses where the students are still in the steep learning mode, I've come to appreciate the many forms of DAO triggers like DAK, and now the P250 DAO. There are no safeties to engage and disengage, no decockers to manage, no long heavy DA first shot (BTW, the DAK and the P250 DAO triggers are much lighter, and smoother than DA/SA triggers in the DA mode, and they are essentially the same pull length).

That's also true for the LEM trigger action of H&K - no safeties, no decocker, just draw, shoot, holster. We sometimes overlook the 'safety' of the DAO (LEM) trigger with regards to averting the possibility of inadvertantly holstering a cocked gun in SA mode without a safety engaged.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I find myself struggling very much with this decision; not having ever tried the LEM yet hearing so many great reviews on it I am so curious as to how it would feel. I have always been a manual safety guy and think that my SR9C is the best combination of trigger with very slim yet effective manual safety. I only wish it was a .40 or at least held more rounds in the small magazine like the M&P does in the same size mag (12). The P2000sk is a great feeling pistol and having 9 .40s compared to 10 9's seems like a no brainer to me since I seem to be more accurate with the .40s I've tried so far. I would probably be okay with no manual safety on a LEM style more so than a striker fired. I guess the best thing to do is have my USP converted to LEM and give it a try before committing to $800 on a new HK without having ever tried it first.
    Ruger: SR9, SR9C
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

Senior Moderator
    I love the full size USP. Mine is a DA/SA and as I think I've stated before has one of the worst DA triggers I've ever seen.

The LEM trigger on my P2000 is like a long take-up SA trigger, and it has a longer reset than a true SA. But I honestly believe that trigger reset is so much a non-issue. It seems to be more of a hot topic for debate than any real issue. I have yet to hear of any LEOs, etc. saying a shorter reset would have made a difference.

The LEM trigger rotates the hammer from down to the near release position under very light pull weight. When the hammer is at the release point, the trigger weight increase to the break force, but moves very little to release the hammer. It is very much like the release of a SA trigger.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Links