SD 45 ammo

SD 45 ammo

This is a discussion on SD 45 ammo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have settled on my 9mm SD ammo - 124 gold dots, but I cannot decide on what to carry for the 45 its a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SD 45 ammo

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

SD 45 ammo

I have settled on my 9mm SD ammo - 124 gold dots, but I cannot decide on what to carry for the 45 its a 3" barrel I was gonna go with good ole Hydrashok, but there has to be something better.....
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

This is just my opinion on such things, but I don't get caught up in which brand is better battles. Any modern JHP from a quality manufacturer should do the job. I prefer 230gr's for my .45. I just try to find a brand of JHP's at a decent enough price I can run 50-100 rounds through my carry gun to check for reliability, and provided my weapon has no hiccups with it, I carry that one. Currently I'm running Winchester PDX's in my full size 1911.

It can be the greatest bullet design in the world, but if your gun can't feed it, you are out of luck.

The being said, I've had good success with Winchester PDX and WWB JHP's, Corbon, and Hydrashocks in my .45s
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I generally go with Hydroshocks myself, but in my 3" 1911 (Kimber Ultra), I decided to try Horndy's Critical Defense. Knowing the feeding issues that can sometimes plague short barelled 1911s, I wanted something with a more ball-like tip than most hollowpoints, with their open mouth profile. The Hornady's have a nice bullet profile, and the idea behind the "filled" hollow point cavity, is that the rubber insert will prevent the cavity from being plugged by clothing debris, and aid in the process of expension. This is praticularly important out of a lower velocity/short barelled gun.... from what I understand... someone correct me if Im wrong.

I've fed a few boxes of Hornady's through this gun, and have not had a single issue with them. There may be a better variety of SD ammo for a 3"1911... but trying out all brand of hollow points would eventually cost as much as the gun did!
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

Gold Dots work just as well in .45 as they do in 9mm.

I can also recommend the following:
    Corbon DPX 185gr +p
    Winchester Ranger T 230gr
    Winchester PDX1 230gr
    Winchester Ranger Bonded 230gr (same as PDX1 except 50 round boxes packed for LE sale. Still 100% legal to buy and use)
    Federal HST 230gr

Then again, you have to buy some and try it. What can you get easily and get enough to run 100 rounds at least for testing?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Cmdrdredd....

have you found any issues with feeding, in an otherwise reliable gun, that can be attributed to the blunt nose profile of hollowpoint .45?

No. If the gun is in spec it should run with any ammo. The only difference in my experience has been the powder charge. Some ammo is loaded with lower pressure levels and doesn't cycle the slide as forcefully as other ammo which can cause issues with tough or new recoil springs. I can't say that any of my guns have had trouble with any ammo in particular. When it comes to 1911s specifically, if the feed ramp and barrel are all within spec and at approperate angles and the shooter is using good magazines with good springs, it should feed reliably with everything. I say should, that is no guarantee. I know many people have had issues with Gold Dots in their 1911 while it would fire other brands reliably. They simply avoided the Gold Dots. I'm only relaying that in my personal weapons I have not experienced failures that can be blamed on the ammo brand.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Use any GOOD SD ammo that functions in your piece and is accurate, forget about which one it is. Your gun will tell you
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I am interested in the hornaday critical defense ammo. I will probably just use hydrashoks (as long as the feed fine) until I can get my hands on some. Anyone have exsperience with powerball ammo? Guy was saying how he loved it at the shop today just want to know if anyone else likes or dislikes it.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    Use any GOOD SD ammo that functions in your piece and is accurate, forget about which one it is. Your gun will tell you
    I understand that but I don't wanna buy them all. I have some hydrashoks but not enough to properly test my new colt defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I am interested in the hornaday critical defense ammo. I will probably just use hydrashoks (as long as the feed fine) until I can get my hands on some. Anyone have exsperience with powerball ammo? Guy was saying how he loved it at the shop today just want to know if anyone else likes or dislikes it.
    It's overpriced and as noted by some ballistics experts, including Dr. Gary Roberts if I remember right, says that it doesn't penetrate adequately to be a reliable and good choice for defense. I'd personally stick to the brands that are used in LEO circles. Federal, Speer, Winchester, Remington are the big 4. That's not to say I wouldn't use anything else, as I also keep Corbon DPX on hand. We all have our preferences on most things we use. There is no best really. there is only "seems to work better in the lab".
    -Thomas Jefferson

I like how this web site spells things out. http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De..._FAQ/index.htm

It basically says that most of the top shelf ammo that feeds well in your gun will do the trick.

Feel free to check it out for yourself.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    .... I know many people have had issues with Gold Dots in their 1911 while it would fire other brands reliably. They simply avoided the Gold Dots. I'm only relaying that in my personal weapons I have not experienced failures that can be blamed on the ammo brand.
    I had an issue with Gold Dots in my CBOB. It would not slingshot the first round, in a topped off 8 round mag. If I pulled one round out, and went with 7 in the mag, it worked fine.

That was using Dan Wesson factory mags, though. ...and they have been known to not work the best. haven't tried Tripp or Wilson yet

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have SB Gold Dots and Win. PDX1s, both of which feed fine in my Glock and S&W 4566. I think any good name-brand SD ammo will do the job as far as effectiveness goes.

Just a note. I purposely cycled a PDX1 round thru my 4566 20 times for a setback experiment, and the bullet only moved .001" in comparison to a couple of different reload that moved .01". Either a tighter crimp, new brass or enough powder to hold the bullet in place (or any combo). Haven't tried it with the GDs yet.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've also used Hydra-shoks, Gold Dots, Rangers, and Golden Sabres but have recently switched to HST+P in my duty 1911 due to dept. policy. HST has worked great and I am very happy with it, but I carry the older Hydras in my Glock 36 as they seem to have a little less felt recoil in it resulting in faster follow up shots. Still, any 230jhp in .45 or any 155-165(not the mid-velocity 165's) in .40 s&w should do the job, provided you do yours. Remember that old adage, the 3 most important things about bullet effectiveness is placement, placement, and placement!

Some of the best stuff available is Federal HST and Winchester Ranger T-Series (not to be confused with the civilian SXT or PDX 1 loads). Gold Dot works very well for bonded ammo along with Federal Tactical Bonded. DPX is also good, I prefer standard pressure 230 grain.

Though both the HST and Ranger T are LE loads and "not for civilian sale" they're still available to civilians through many suppliers. This is a manufacturer limitation, not law.

Doctor Roberts is an authority on self defense ammo and always the go-to for this info. His screen name is DocGKR and here's a few good links.

Self Defense and Duty Loads - http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo - http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De..._FAQ/index.htm

By all accounts, Hydra-Shok in all calibers is an aging design. Still effective, but there are many newer loads that perform much more reliably and effectively.

Here's a number of Law Enforcement Wound Ballistics Workshops put on by ATK, the parent company behind Speer (Gold Dot), Federal and now Eagle that follow the FBI Ammunition testing Protocol. Happy reading!

http://le.atk.com/general/irl/woundballistics.aspx

For me, I like the Federal HST in standard pressure, but I'd choose a defensive load FIRST on how well I can shoot it (as long as it performs reliably in my gun) because follow up shots mean more to me than 1/10" extra expansion.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links