What is happeining with New Glock's?

This is a discussion on What is happeining with New Glock's? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have read more range reports with Glock FTF and action not staying open on last round fired, now I hear "Oh you need to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is happeining with New Glock's?

I have read more range reports with Glock FTF and action not staying open on last round fired, now I hear "Oh you need to fire 200 rounds to break in the weapon". I never had to on all the Glock's that were shot out of the box before.

I was considering a Glock 19 Gen4, but I think I will wait a while to see if they make any recalls or updates.

I have never had a problem with my Glock 30,she has always done everything she is supposed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I was considering a Glock 19 Gen4, but I think I will wait a while to see if they make any recalls or updates.

Or you could just go with a tried and true gen 3.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Gen 3 seem to have been trouble free, actually all my experience has been with Gen 3, model, 22, 23, 27 and 30.

I saw this a few minutes ago.

Quote from Chiboxer on another post.

Actually I am going to have to take exception to the comment about WML being a non-issue. I work for a 1500+ officer department. Our range experienced numerous problems with our Gen 3 .40s. We documented the problem, our range master even flew out to Smyrna, GA to meet with Glock to attempt to resolve the problem. Gen 3 40s have big issues, when there is not a light mounted on them. The rounds from the magazine feed up at too high of an angle and then are forced back down in to the chamber at a rather severe angle, as well. This is not conjecture on my part, I have personally observed approximately 30 plus Glock 22 .40 cals experience this problem. This was in a period where I was working full time at my department's range and dealing with this problem 8+ hours a day. S&W did a one for one exchange of all of are Glock .40s. Interestingly enough, this problem did not afflict any Glock 9mms or .45 cals just the .40. This problem was not unique to my agency, btw.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The issue with .40s and the light is no secret and is part of the reason for the dual recoil spring configuration in the Gen 4s. Apparently it solved the .40 problem only to have created reported issues in the 9mm using weaker ammo loads. Perhaps Glock has yet to realize that recoil in 9mms and .40s is not the same and may required different recoil springs.

Gen 1 people hate Gen 2s. Gen 2 people hate Gen 3s. Gen 3 people hate Gen 4s, and I'm sure we'll all hate Gen 5 when that comes around. But somehow Glock marches on, quite sucessfully.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Larry Vickers rates the Gen 4 a C- and says to stick with Gen 3's. Can't find the article or I'd link to it, just quotes in different threads. I trust the Gen 3 and don't know if it's a change or standard, but I heard the Gen 4 is getting the Gen 3's recoil system. Not sure what to make of the 4, but I'll be picking one up soon along with a 3 to see what the deal is and how it affects me...

Post 194 is Vickers on recoil system - http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52911&page=10

Same thread but first post by Vickers - http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52911
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Larry Vickers rates the Gen 4 a C- and says to stick with Gen 3's. Can't find the article or I'd link to it, just quotes in different threads. I trust the Gen 3 and don't know if it's a change or standard, but I heard the Gen 4 is getting the Gen 3's recoil system. Not sure what to make of the 4, but I'll be picking one up soon along with a 3 to see what the deal is and how it affects me...

Post 194 is Vickers on recoil system - http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52911&page=10

Same thread but first post by Vickers - http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52911
    Here you go: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ead.php?101952

I'll be sticking with the Gen 3
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I don't currently own a Glock, but owned a 17, 32, 22 and 21 in the past. All worked fine. Maybe some of the "improvements" in gen 4's are causing problems.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post

The changes on the Gen 4 are 75% cosmetic (RTF grips, interchangeable backstraps, reversable & enlarged mag release) and 25% functional (dual recoil spring ala G30). The RTF finish is toned down on the production guns from the original RTF found on the models with the chevroned slide serrations. The original is very rough indeed, the current RTF not so. It's the recoil spring that's causing the problems. The cometic changes are causing the griping.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The changes on the Gen 4 are 75% cosmetic (RTF grips, interchangeable backstraps, reversable & enlarged mag release) and 25% functional (dual recoil spring ala G30). The RTF finish is toned down on the production guns from the original RTF found on the models with the chevroned slide serrations. The original is very rough indeed, the current RTF not so. It's the recoil spring that's causing the problems. The cometic changes are causing the griping.
    So, with them going to the Gen 3 recoil system, the problems theoretically will be solved, correct? If so, I might stick with the Gen 4. I still prefer the Sig and M&P over the Glocks, but I think they're a good gun and any collection should have one. Had to through my opinion in there. We all know that nothing on the internet is worth it's weight without opinion!!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Why but a gen 4 when you got gen 3's and M&P's available?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Well, I'm picking up an M&P along with a Glock or two next week and figured I'd give the 4 a try since it felt pretty good when I held it. I'm back and forth on it though. Probably just end up with what they have in stock.

I'm glad I already own three Generation 3 Glocks. I Don't have to mess with the new product runouts this way. I feel sorry for those buying new until they get 'em fixed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links