Defensive Carry banner

Considering going from G19 to G20

12K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  ctsketch 
#1 ·
I carry a Glock 19 full time. I'm thinking of changing to the 20 full time. It's bigger and heavier, but in a conflict, the G20's firepower has an overwhelming advantage over almost any sidearm, and it seems a prudent move. I've been shooting to G20 for many years, and it already gets carried in the winter OWB.
Opinions?

#4 ·
Well since you already own them both you might as well just carry the more firepower of the G20

#6 ·
Definitely give the 20 a year round whirl.

I'm sure that you'll be able to pull it off without any discomfort :yup:

#12 ·
If you can pull it off, go for it, but only if you can shoot it as effectively as your G19.

What are ya waiting for? It's a fun little beast! :wink:

#11 ·
If you can carry it, go for it. I would definitely keep the 19, though. Everyone should have a 19 in the line up. I have a 2nd generation and wish that I had the cash for a 3rd generation. But the 20 is a powerhouse. Uncle Ted carries a 20 as his EDC.

#19 ·
This is a fact. When you compare the round count, they both hold 15 rounds +1 in the pipe. But the power factor of the 10mm totally outclasses the 9mm. Lets do the math ; 15 rnds 10mm x 750 fpe =11,250 foot pounds of energy in 1 handgun. As far as controlability, the g20 is as easy for me to shoot rapid fire accuratley as the g19. You have to be pretty weak not to be able to handle the 10mm in the g20. It is hard to believe that anyone who believes otherwise has even fired the 10mm in the g20. As HOTGUNS stated, it is the best. It puts the 45 in the ballistic grave, and nips at the heels of the lower end 41 mag loads.

#14 ·
Can you make repeated, accurate hits with your 10mm as you can with your 9mm? Can you afford to practice with the 10mm as much as you can with your 9mm?

If yes, carry it. If no, stick with your 9mm. You should plan on needing multiple hits with ANY handgun - even the vaunted 10mm. It's a handgun - not a howitzer.:wink: And shot placement (practice) trumps everything else.

#15 ·
Try it...If you are as confident with it as you are the 19, most that happens is it get sto heavy to mess with on a day to day basis...and you go back to 9mm.

#17 ·
These are very different guns, believe me. I'd keep the 19 and get the 20 if you want it, but I wouldn't consider the move any kind of progression. The recoil in the 20 will be a lot stiffer than the 19, and the overpenetration liabilities with the 10 mm are considerable.

#18 ·
Use the 20 as your main and your 19 as your BUG. Get a good pair of suspenders to keep your pants up with the weight of both. Just having some fun with ya. The 10mm can be overpenetrating and followup shots a little more difficult to do in rapid fire but your the one using it to CYA. Good luck on your choice.:urla9ub:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.