Considering going from G19 to G20

This is a discussion on Considering going from G19 to G20 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Glock 19 full time. I'm thinking of changing to the 20 full time. It's bigger and heavier, but in a conflict, the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering going from G19 to G20

Considering going from G19 to G20

I carry a Glock 19 full time. I'm thinking of changing to the 20 full time. It's bigger and heavier, but in a conflict, the G20's firepower has an overwhelming advantage over almost any sidearm, and it seems a prudent move. I've been shooting to G20 for many years, and it already gets carried in the winter OWB.
    Opinions?

2. Remove Ads

Sounds logical to me, but i am prejudiced since I came over to 10mm last year. I like the model 20 but I like the size and feel of the model 29 better. As you know, it is thicker than the 19, but the slide length and grip height is very close to the 19.

VIP Member
    Better keep both that way when one of them kaboom's and needs repair, you got one to shoot! LOL.... Sorry had to bust your balls after your little post....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Well since you already own them both you might as well just carry the more firepower of the G20
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Senior Moderator
    Personally, I think the 10MM is the best semi auto handgun cartridge there is. One could do much worse.

On the other hand....if you know you are going to be in a conflict a handgun would be the last weapon of choice.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Definitely give the 20 a year round whirl.

I'm sure that you'll be able to pull it off without any discomfort
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Many holsters that fit my G19, will hold my G29 well. Besides, you can always carry G20 mags for the G29.

For the hundreds of 1000s of Glock rounds I've fired, I've never fired a G29. Can you believe it?

Just go for it. Worst thing that happens is you find you don't like carrying the G20 and you switch back to the 19. No big deal.

Sounds like a good idea to me as long as you have no problems carrying it all day.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

If you can carry it, go for it. I would definitely keep the 19, though. Everyone should have a 19 in the line up. I have a 2nd generation and wish that I had the cash for a 3rd generation. But the 20 is a powerhouse. Uncle Ted carries a 20 as his EDC.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

kpw
    If you can pull it off, go for it, but only if you can shoot it as effectively as your G19.

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    For the hundreds of 1000s of Glock rounds I've fired, I've never fired a G29. Can you believe it?
    What are ya waiting for? It's a fun little beast!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by carguy2244 View Post
    the G20's firepower has an overwhelming advantage over almost any sidearm
    And how did you come to this conclusion?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Can you make repeated, accurate hits with your 10mm as you can with your 9mm? Can you afford to practice with the 10mm as much as you can with your 9mm?

If yes, carry it. If no, stick with your 9mm. You should plan on needing multiple hits with ANY handgun - even the vaunted 10mm. It's a handgun - not a howitzer. And shot placement (practice) trumps everything else.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Try it...If you are as confident with it as you are the 19, most that happens is it get sto heavy to mess with on a day to day basis...and you go back to 9mm.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links