Sig 238 Range Reports: Post 9 - RMA to Sig, returned, and back to Sig Again....

This is a discussion on Sig 238 Range Reports: Post 9 - RMA to Sig, returned, and back to Sig Again.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got to the range the other morning and had the place to my self and was able to do some initial testing on my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig 238 Range Reports: Post 9 - RMA to Sig, returned, and back to Sig Again....

JD [OP]
    Administrator

Sig 238 Range Reports: Post 9 - RMA to Sig, returned, and back to Sig Again....

I got to the range the other morning and had the place to my self and was able to do some initial testing on my two latest guns, my Glock 21SF and the Sig 238.
    I started with the 238 as I was pretty sure what to expect from from a used Glock.

First the good news, it fed all the types of .380 ammunition that I keep on hand, Remington 102gr Golden Saber, Speer 90gr Gold Dot, Hornady Critical Defense, and both Remington UMC and Winchester FMJ all fed well.

Bad news is that I had two failures to extract the spent casing from the chamber. All in all I fired 50rds of Rem. UMC, about 25 rounds of the Winchester, 20rds of Gold Dots, 15 rounds of the Golden Saber, and only about 12 rounds of the Critical Defense. Also of note is that several casings were mangled up pretty good, I meant to take pictures of them, but didn't. I'll follow up with those later. As for the extraction, I think the extractor is just a little stiff, some more testing is definitely in order.

As far as accuracy is concerned, I'm pretty happy with the results from a hasty rested position (resting arms on the bench) and a 2.75" barrel.

That was the last four rounds of Gold Dots @ 50". Not too shabby given the size of the gun.

As for the Glock, it functioned fine as was to be expected, but right now I can't shoot it as accurately as I would like, some low and left but mostly just buckshot pattern. I really need to get used to that trigger type. My order from Comp-Tac came in and I'll be taking the G21SF to tomorrows IDPA match and see how it runs in more realistic environment than a 50' fixed target point.

2. Remove Ads

Glad to hear it went reasonably well.

Bashed brass on a P238 - been there. Several possible causes. What is the build date on yours?

Double check the recoil springs status, some are leaving factory put in backwards and getting wadded up.

Several folks over at the Sigforum with the HD's are complaining of soft slides and those being beat up, so you might do an inspection of the slide.

Sig seems to need to be clean and well lubed. Did you tidy and lube prior to use? I am pretty certain you did. Hope it works out for you. The more you shoot these the smoother the trigger gets. They are pretty accurate.

I really like those little Sigs. But I don't like their rather large price tag.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint Ridge View Post
    Glad to hear it went reasonably well.

Bashed brass on a P238 - been there. Several possible causes. What is the build date on yours?

Double check the recoil springs status, some are leaving factory put in backwards and getting wadded up.

Several folks over at the Sigforum with the HD's are complaining of soft slides and those being beat up, so you might do an inspection of the slide.

Sig seems to need to be clean and well lubed. Did you tidy and lube prior to use? I am pretty certain you did. Hope it works out for you. The more you shoot these the smoother the trigger gets. They are pretty accurate.
    I gave it a quick blast of gun scrubber and some oil, not to major of a cleaning. The spring is on correctly, I know Sig has has some issues with the springs so if problems persist I'll probably just replace it with a Wolff spring. Regarding the brass, if that keeps up I'm calling Sig. Thanks for the tip on the slide, I'll be keeping an eye out.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I gave it a quick blast of gun scrubber and some oil, not to major of a cleaning. The spring is on correctly, I know Sig has has some issues with the springs so if problems persist I'll probably just replace it with a Wolff spring. Regarding the brass, if that keeps up I'm calling Sig. Thanks for the tip on the slide, I'll be keeping an eye out.
    Here is an outside thread and links to pictures of the soft slide issue.
    http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...2110044412/p/1
    Basically dings up the cut out for the slide stop "notch" if you will in the slide. For whatever reason it seems to effect the HD's, though my problematic Titanium developed this over 1,400 rounds as well.

And yes seems like the heavier Wolff springs is a common repair.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    OK, I got to run the 21 at speed today, it's growing on me but I threw a lot of shots clean off the paper on some of the more complicated moving stages. I wish Advantage Arms wasn't sold out on G21 kits. Gotta get this new trigger control down.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sounds like you have the same faulty Glock I have, low and left. I have the AA kit for my G30 and put @100 rounds thru it every range trip. Occassional FTE (1/100) but nothing I would complain about. I use CCI LR Mini-mags exclusively. Mine tends to lead up at around 100 rounds, so I stop at that point and clean up. Gunzilla really cleaned it out last time. It all came out on the first run with a brass brush.

Too bad about the 2 FTEs. Kind of put a damper on what sounds like an otherwise good report. Perhaps it will work itself out quickly. No ideas on the bashed up brass.

If you're using the G21 in competition, you may opt for a lighter trigger.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Sounds like you have the same faulty Glock I have, low and left. I have the AA kit for my G30 and put @100 rounds thru it every range trip. Occassional FTE (1/100) but nothing I would complain about. I use CCI LR Mini-mags exclusively. Mine tends to lead up at around 100 rounds, so I stop at that point and clean up. Gunzilla really cleaned it out last time. It all came out on the first run with a brass brush.

Too bad about the 2 FTEs. Kind of put a damper on what sounds like an otherwise good report. Perhaps it will work itself out quickly. No ideas on the bashed up brass.

If you're using the G21 in competition, you may opt for a lighter trigger.
    I had my good fair share of "Down Zeros" today don't get me wrong, I think I just need more range time, this is not a competition only gun and the trigger doesn't seem that bad, I just need more time to get acquainted with it and today's match was not very good for that.
    HK Dan has a rotten streak in him, he laid out a COF with 18 "ferret-sized" targets and some others with wicket fast movers and time restraints. :

JD [OP]
    Administrator

More rounds through the 238 Today...

Took the 238 back out to the range, fired 50 more rounds of Remington UMC, the brass was no longer getting mangled, I did have a few more failure to lock open on empty issues and one more failure to extract. I'm thinking it's time for that shipping label to Sig.

172 rds fired, 3 failures to extract, and about 6 failures to lock open.

All shots today were using the Sig factory mag.

Also, I am starting to notice the peening of the slide stop engagement area in the slide referenced above. Will upload some pictures tonight.

Updates? Taking out my P238 for the first time tomorrow. The date on my box says January 2010.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Sent it out to Sig yesterday after talking to Customer Service on Friday. Still need to upload the pics of the slide peening...

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Got the Sig back today. They replaced the slide and "upgraded the extractor". test fired with Fed American Eagle 95gr FMJ. I'm pretty sure the local range is closed due to a faulty lock...will post updates when I can test it out.

Eight day return, not too shabby.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Last night I was putting the Sig up and noticed that the lamp in the front sight is dead, probably broken during removal/re-installation. Called Sig, getting another shipping label sent to me.

Wow. You guys have had issues with a Gen 4 Glock 19, and now a Sig!

Don't stand next to me, ok? I don't want your karma to rub off on me!

Seriously, hope it works out for you.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Ain't that the truth. That Gen 4 Glock is looking a lot better.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links