H&K P7

H&K P7

This is a discussion on H&K P7 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been interested in one of these but confess I know little about them. 1. Can someone bring me up to speed on what ...

Thread: H&K P7

H&K P7

I have been interested in one of these but confess I know little about them.
    1. Can someone bring me up to speed on what to look at in a used one and what they are going for?
    2. Is there a version I should stay away from or is there one that is highly desirable?

Thanks in advance.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    1. Can someone bring me up to speed on what to look at in a used one and what they are going for?
    You look for the same things you look for in any used gun.

The exception with the P7 is that it has the Gas piston and tube to inspect. The action should be smooth. Watch, listen and feel for grinding, catching or difficult racking of the slide. Disassembled; the piston may be dirty but the ring's edges should be shiny and smooth. A dirty piston can be cleaned but a pitted or ruined piston has to be replaced.

The squeeze cocker action should also be smooth and emit a rather loud "click" when uncocked. It takes 12# to cock it, but only about 1# to hold it. test that.

The trigger should be smooth with some take up but with a very clean break. It is an excellent trigger for a striker fired design.

2. Is there a version I should stay away from or is there one that is highly desirable?
    All versions are for all practical purposes the same except for the rarer K3 models. I assume you aren't talking about them.

The single stack P7 can be found for between $500 and $800 depending on condition and history. These are differentiated by it's heel mag release. The cheapest ones are police trade-ins. Commercial P7s will have an Ulm proof. Military and police guns will have a BWB proofmark.

The P7M8 is going to be more money, anywhere from about $800 to $1500 depending on year, condition, marking, etc. These are different from the P7 by the mag release behind the trigger. Otherwise they are essentially the same gun.

There is a high capacity, double stack P7M13 which hold 13 rounds instead of 8. These are expensive at around $1400.

The harder to find P7M10 in .40S&W is a variant of the M13, but in the larger caliber. They are expensive.

Regardless of the model, magazines and parts are expensive.

highly desirable
    The most sought after are the P7s marked with PSP, Jubilee models and the "last 500" M8s produced. There are some factory nickel guns too.

There is tons of info available, searches will lead to more in depth answers. This is a nutshell version.

VIP Member
    I purchased a factory 'refurb' P7 early last year and loved it! I ordered most of the accessories direct from H&K. The parts were expensive although everything is built like a tank. In the end, I simply wanted something else, which is very common in this hobby.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

repily 16 and Saber, I appreciate the responses! As I recall the one I looked at had the mag release at the trigger and seemed in good shape. They were asking $780.00 for it which sounds correct so I am going to look at again.

Thanks!
    Who is John Galt?

That sounds like a good price for a P7M8. If complete it will come with a plastic box ,an extra mag, brush, manual and a few come with a gas tube cleaning tool. Let us know how you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    repily 16 and Saber, I appreciate the responses! As I recall the one I looked at had the mag release at the trigger and seemed in good shape. They were asking $780.00 for it which sounds correct so I am going to look at again.

Thanks!
    At 780.00 you'd better snap it up real quick. It's a P7M8 should be marked Chantilly Va It has an improved gas system that doesn't heat up as fast as the P7 guns with the heal mag release. Trigger guard is longer on the M8 guns. Either way, run, fly, beg borrow in order to snag that bugger
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    At 780.00 you'd better snap it up real quick. It's a P7M8 should be marked Chantilly Va It has an improved gas system that doesn't heat up as fast as the P7 guns with the heal mag release. Trigger guard is longer on the M8 guns. Either way, run, fly, beg borrow in order to snag that bugger
    Not necessarily marked Chantilly. It could be Sterling and the last ones may even be marked Trussville.
    The gas sytem is the same in P7 or the M8. If there's an improvemnet, it's news to me. The M8 has a plastic heat shield attached to the trigger guard. That's why the trigger guard is bigger than the P7's. I'm not sure how well the heat shield works... some say fine, others say it doesn't help. Either way, the gun gets hot after 75 rounds or so.

Here's a great pic of what the piston should look like. This one is pretty new.

pic borrowed from photobucket

You're right Ripley! sorry bout that! Having my regular "brain farts" here.......must be an old guy thing I guess. i know the early ones were Chantilly va guns. I truly forgot the others that came in later. oops Either way, I'd be rushing to get that one for sure, no matter where it came from
    Yeah, the gas system is the same, but the trigger guard is extened, so it stays cooler (I have a few PSP guns and a M8 gun. The older PSP P7 guns W/ heal release got a 'bit warm' after about 30 rnds due to no heat shields on the trigger guards. the M8 guns have the extended trigger guard and heat shield on it to help reduce the heat from the gas system, but you're right, they still get warm.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Thanks everyone! I will stop by the dealer that has it at lunch sometime this week and let you folks know what it is.
    Who is John Galt?

If I got a P7, I would go with an A grade.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Some of the Saxony guns are graded but jem102 is looking at a P7M8 which is not graded by HK.

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    I think I would too. I got a C grade awhile back (for a good price) and have had little things to hassle with since.

I bought an A grade psp two years ago. after at least 2000 rounds, I've not had one malfunction of any kind and no complaints re: any aspect of the gun. It's one of my two edc guns. I did upgrade it by putting NIL grips on it and would recommend this highly. One thing to keep in mind is that the pistol will not chamber lead bullet rounds; they must be jacketed.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Oh, they will chamber lead rounds, it will just clog the delayed blowback gas mechanism.

Only tried it once AutoFan and the round would not chamber. Also, the owner's manual says not to shoot lead bullets. So my experience is limited, however given the phenomenal reliability with jacketed bullets.....why bother?

Sponsored Links