Ruger LCP

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i know this sounds retarded but is the slide supposed to lock back when the gun is out of ammunition, mine doesnt??...

Thread: Ruger LCP

Ruger LCP

i know this sounds retarded but is the slide supposed to lock back when the gun is out of ammunition, mine doesnt??

2. Remove Ads

Nope. The lock is manually operated only.

VIP Member
    No, but it does have a slide lock that is handy to show clear or partially clean without disassembly.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

My understanding is that the slide does NOT lock back on empty. You just have to be able to count to 7, or wait for the click :-)

I just picked up a new LCP yesterday and hope to get to the range with it this evening. It will be my "no excuses" carry gun; when my wardrobe doesn't allow the carry of a real gun, something this small leaves no excuse for not carrying. I ordered a couple of boxes of Cor-Bon DPX from Midway to make sure it cycles HP ammo, and bought several boxes of Winchester FMJ at the gunstore for break-in purposes. The NRA's American Rifleman tested a bunch of micro .380 pistols a while back and had failure to feed problems with almost every one of the affordable models. I think that when I can find some available in .380, I'm going to switch my carry ammo to Glaser Powerball to try to increase the likelyhood of reliable feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    ...I'm going to switch my carry ammo to Glaser Powerball to try to increase the likelyhood of reliable feeding.
    Whoa there! PowRBall has been the only ammo that my wife's LCP jammed on. There is a sharp corner in the frame under the feed ramp, and under recoil the polymer nose of the bullet gets cut and jams the gun up.

I called Ruger and they were aware of the issue...aka the "smiley face" issue. Suggestion was to run 200 rounds of FMJ through the pistol to round off that sharp corner, or use a dremel with a polishing wheel.

My solution was not to use PowRBall - it's only 70 gr in .380, and I don't trust it to penetrate enough. In the winter I use FMJ; in the summer I alternate Hornady Critical Defense and FMJ.

Check out www.scottsdaleammo.com for some 100gr .380 FMJ with a flat point. I just got some in, but have not fired it yet. If it works out, it may be my new carry load when my old stash of WWB 95gr FMJ-FP run out.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Now there's something good to know! Thanks for the info. Pow'Rball is specifically designed to aleviate feeding problems associated with HP's and you tell me it creates more of a problem? Tell us how the flat nosed rounds work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Whoa there! PowRBall has been the only ammo that my wife's LCP jammed on. There is a sharp corner in the frame under the feed ramp, and under recoil the polymer nose of the bullet gets cut and jams the gun up.

I called Ruger and they were aware of the issue...aka the "smiley face" issue. Suggestion was to run 200 rounds of FMJ through the pistol to round off that sharp corner, or use a dremel with a polishing wheel.

My solution was not to use PowRBall - it's only 70 gr in .380, and I don't trust it to penetrate enough. In the winter I use FMJ; in the summer I alternate Hornady Critical Defense and FMJ.

Check out www.scottsdaleammo.com for some 100gr .380 FMJ with a flat point. I just got some in, but have not fired it yet. If it works out, it may be my new carry load when my old stash of WWB 95gr FMJ-FP run out.
    +1 on the Flat nosed FMJs, best advice anyone with a .380 can follow IMO.

I just got the BuffaloBore 100gr +p hard cast flat nose and think for the .380 offering, it's one of, if not the best round for any .380 that can run the +p stuff. I think the numbers outa the P3AT was 1060 FPS and 250 FPE. Not bad for the ultra concealable .380 pocket option. Combine those numbers with the flat nosed round that has better stopping power over the round nose FMJs and IMO, that's a potent mix. The same round outa a PPK has numbers of 1160 FPS and 299 FPE. IMO, that's a good amount of firepower to tote around in your pocket.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

My Kahr P380 and Sig P238 both feed Corbon DPX and Remington 102gr Golden Sabre's pretty well. But it's already been said that the slide is not suppose to automatically lock back.

There mouseguns have come a long way, but still only back up guns to me.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Links