Two bargain 1911's

Two bargain 1911's

This is a discussion on Two bargain 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I had been searching for a Lightweight 1911 to use as my EDC, as my current PPK/S is a little light on the firepower ...

Two bargain 1911's

So I had been searching for a Lightweight 1911 to use as my EDC, as my current PPK/S is a little light on the firepower side of things. Unfortunately, funds and availability have been a problem (mainly funds). Therefore, I have expanded my search to steel-framed 1911's, which are not only much more plentiful but also available at lower prices.

There are two that I have been looking at, and would value your experience and opinions regarding these two pistols. I'll list them and a few facts/benefits.

Citadel 1911 Compact:
    -Available in a local gun shop ($499 + $10 transfer)
    -Made by Armscor (Same manufacturer as RIA)
    -3.5" bull barrel
    -Parkerized finish
    -Trigger is excellent
    -Slightly lighter

American Classic Commander
    -True commander: 4.25" barrel with bushing
    -Available in both blued and hard chrome finishes
    -Is generally less expensive, from what I have seen

From what I can tell, these guns are otherwise comparable. Both have beavertail grip safeties, combat hammers, skeletonized triggers, and dovetailed/Novak sights. Frames are cast, rather than forged, but that does not bother me a this price point.

Which would you lean towards?
    Current armament:
    Ruger 10/22
    Remington 870 Express 20ga.
    S&W M&P40c
    S&W 642

Umm, the second one. Mostly because you can get it with the chrome finish and longer barrel, although the Armscor is a decent brand too. I an biased because I carry a Springfield 1911 GI (5 in bbl) with a stainless finish.
    ‎"When the need for my gun is abated I will lay it down freely, but until that day comes not even Satan himself could pry it from my cold dead hands."

I have experience with the standard American Classic and its a pretty good govt model for a low price. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Commander model if I had the money. I would get it blue though : ).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dleavitt View Post
    So I had been searching for a Lightweight 1911 to use as my EDC, as my current PPK/S is a little light on the firepower side of things. Unfortunately, funds and availability have been a problem (mainly funds). Therefore, I have expanded my search to steel-framed 1911's, which are not only much more plentiful but also available at lower prices.

There are two that I have been looking at, and would value your experience and opinions regarding these two pistols. I'll list them and a few facts/benefits.

Citadel 1911 Compact:
    -Available in a local gun shop ($499 + $10 transfer)
    -Made by Armscor (Same manufacturer as RIA)
    -3.5" bull barrel
    -Parkerized finish
    -Trigger is excellent
    -Slightly lighter

American Classic Commander
    -True commander: 4.25" barrel with bushing
    -Available in both blued and hard chrome finishes
    -Is generally less expensive, from what I have seen

From what I can tell, these guns are otherwise comparable. Both have beavertail grip safeties, combat hammers, skeletonized triggers, and dovetailed/Novak sights. Frames are cast, rather than forged, but that does not bother me a this price point.

Which would you lean towards?
    The Citadel is imported by Hawa/Legacy Sports International. Armscor (I believe) makes it and also the Rock Island Armory line of 1911's.

Armscor and American Classic are both made in the Philippines and imported. The Citadel was imported by Charles Daly who is now part owned by Bul.

American Classic /Import Sports is Bersa the Argentine manufacture. The Bersa American Classics are made for Bersa in the Philippines.

All of these 1911 pattern pistols are made in modern manufacturing plants and are capturing a good part of the low price point 1911 market.

IMO the HAWA/Legacy -Citadel is slightly over priced. I would probably look at the Armcor/ Rock Island Armory G51429 Compact. I don't see much, if any difference except the RIA is about $80.00 less.

The Bersa/American Classic is also about $80 less than Hawa/Legacy -Citadel Compact

Hawa/Legacy
    Armscor?
    Citadel CIT45CSP
    6+1
    2 Mags included
    Forged steel frame and slide
    skeletonized hammer and trigger
    Novak style style sights
    lower and flared ejection ports
    extended beavetail grip safety and 1911 round trigger guard
    series 70
    checkered wood grips
    blued
    2lb.

Bersa/American Classic Imp.
    ACC45B
    4.25" Bbl.
    8+1
    1 mag included
    All 4140 Steel frame and barrel
    Threaded forged steel barrel
    Novak rear sight/dovetail front
    Beavertail grip safety
    Skeletonized hammer and trigger
    Front and rear slide serrations
    Flared ejection port
    Series 70
    Checkered Mahogany wd. w/ diamond cut grips
    Blued
    35.2 oz.
    Life time warranty

It may come down to overall length and weight for you, maybe cost too.
    I prefer a longer barrel for accuracy, sight picture and less felt recoil. For EDC the difference in weight is significant 24 oz. vs 35.5 oz., the Citadel being lighter.
    Parts are inexpensive for the American Classic. Chip McCormick magazines work well in the American Classic. The fit and finish is about the same IMO. Either should have at least a couple hundred rounds of FMJ run through them for break-in. The Bersa/American Classic has been around for less time but I'm told is manufactured in a new plant with state of the art tooling and manufacturing equipment.
    The trade-off in weight and length may be offset by the extra 2 round capacty of the Bersa/American Classic Compact.

I would double check that price. $510 OTD would be a great price for the Citadel 3.5" compact.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I have an American Classic. The fit, finish and machining are much better that I would have expected of a gun in it's price range. It's very accurate and I've had zero reliability issues. I like it alot.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

cmb
    Look at the RIA's too they have good reviews from what I have read and don't forget to check our GI Springfields, They come in around the 600 mark to... they have those pesky GI sights but seem to function well and you get Springfield customer service...

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    Look at the RIA's too they have good reviews from what I have read and don't forget to check our GI Springfields, They come in around the 600 mark to... they have those pesky GI sights but seem to function well and you get Springfield customer service...
    Nothing wrong with the RI's, but compare one side by side with an American classic, and you'll find better overall quality (albeit, slight) in the AC. At a better price.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Of the two, I'd definitely go with the 4.25" Commander style model. That 3.5" offers no real concealment advantage.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

I recently purchased a RI CS version with 3.5 inch barrel. Sweet little shooter. No problems right out of the box. I have heard that RI (Daley) customer service cannot be beat. Service after the sale is something to consider. I am unaware of the CS offered by American classic.

VIP Member
    I know a few guys who run a well respected gunshop and they love the American Classic's at their price point. It's no Colt or Kimber, but they are really nice.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    I recently purchased a RI CS version with 3.5 inch barrel. Sweet little shooter. No problems right out of the box. I have heard that RI (Daley) customer service cannot be beat. Service after the sale is something to consider. I am unaware of the CS offered by American classic.
    Charles Daly Broke from Armscor over two years ago. Armscor Manufactures the brand name Rock Island Armory.

Quote from Charles Daly Forum 7-15-10. It is a true statement.

>There are no new Charles Daly pistols, the company is out of business.
    What was to be the new CD 1911 is being sold as the Desert Eagle 1911. <

http://www.charlesdalyforum.com/showthread.php?t=2052

This is from the Charls Daly forum moderator: It is a current sticky

>
    This was stated before, and this will be the last time.

THIS IS NOT A CUSTOMER SERVICE FORUM.

We cannot help with CS issues, and will not let this become a hate fest board with a bunch of bashing and complaining.

No one here has answers to what will or will not happen with your firearms or warranty issues until it is released by CD.

Any more threads that proceed down this path will be closed and users banned/warned.
    <

http://www.charlesdalyforum.com/showthread.php?t=1762

And this is from 1911Forum.com. 2008 by Michael Kassnar CD president.

>
    And CD has certainly had issues with some of it's guns over the years, in that respect we are no different than any other gun manufacturer. However, it's how a gun company stands behind a product that really counts. I and honestly say that a few years ago our CS Department had more issues than our guns. We had two employees in that department who ended up with the nicknames "Too Bad" and "Tough Luck"!. Not exactly the nicknames I would have preferred for my employees. Neither one of them work for my company any longer and that kind of attitude is long gone from the comapany. These past two years we really embarked on a policy of bringing back the meaning of "Service" to "Customer Service". Our Lifetime Repair Policy is now in place should you ever need it, and we are one of only 2 or 4 companies in the gun industry that will pay the freight in both directions if you do need service. Simply call us (toll free) at 866-DalySvc and a "call tag" gets issued at our expense to get your gun back to us for service,
    <

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthre...=195859&page=2

Have you called customer service lately?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Links