CCW SIG P229 SCT or P239 SAS Gen 2

This is a discussion on CCW SIG P229 SCT or P239 SAS Gen 2 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; About 6 months ago I picked up a new SIG P229 SCT in .357sig, for which I intended in carrying for my CCW. I LOVE ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW SIG P229 SCT or P239 SAS Gen 2

CCW SIG P229 SCT or P239 SAS Gen 2

About 6 months ago I picked up a new SIG P229 SCT in .357sig, for which I intended in carrying for my CCW. I LOVE the gun, don't get me wrong, but now I'm thinking about picking up a P239 SAS gen 2 in .357sig as my carry gun.

I'm feeling like the P229 is just a little to big to carry, and like the slimness of the P239.

I'm looking for opinions here for everyone on which is the better option.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I carry either. It pretty much depends on my mood or if I feel I've been neglecting one. Two great choices in guns. You won't be unhappy with either. Get a good holster and you will be golden. I use a Kholster for my P229 and a supertuck for my P239

is the P239 in .357SIG to big a round for that gun? I don't want to carry 9mm....I've been very happy with the performance of the .40 Magtech rounds in the p229

VIP Member
    Are you sure about that? Sig Sauer P229 SCT is 9mm or .40 S&W to my knowledge.
    P229R (SRT short trigger reset) is available in .357 Sig. it weighs 36 oz.

The 239 SAS Gen 2 is a really sweet single stack 7+1 pistol with 3.5" Bbl. that weighs 18 oz. It is great handling, it is slim for Sig at 1.2" but really slim would be like the Walther PPS at .85"
    At 18 oz. you are going to feel the recoil more in either .40 S&W or .357 Sig.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Im a lover of the 239 great CC pakage love the way it fits in my hand and its "heft/feel". Wish I could get enough $$ saved up for one.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Are you sure about that? Sig Sauer P229 SCT is 9mm or .40 S&W to my knowledge.
    P229R (SRT short trigger reset) is available in .357 Sig. it weighs 36 oz.
    The P229 SCT I purchased came with the SRT trigger, SigLite night sights and a few other things. I picked up the .357sig barrel from the dealer as well for about $100. Its just a simple barrel swap between the two calibers. Magazine, slide, and everything else stays the same.

Have you handled the 239? It;s a sweet shooting gun with a great trigger but it's quite thick for a single stack 9mm and quite heavy as well.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Have both

I have both the P229 in .40 and the P239 in 9mm, and have carried both. They are two of my favorite guns.

The P229 is noticeably thicker and heavier than the P239, but can certainly be carried all day with a good holster and belt. But the P239 is easier to carry and conceal because of less weight and thickness. I carry the P239 more frequently for this reason. I think you can justify having both guns if you wish, for use in different situations or with different clothing.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mason736 View Post
    The P229 SCT I purchased came with the SRT trigger, SigLite night sights and a few other things. I picked up the .357sig barrel from the dealer as well for about $100. Its just a simple barrel swap between the two calibers. Magazine, slide, and everything else stays the same.
    Yeap, I know you can buy a .357 barrel that will fit the P229 SCT. The Sig barrel is about $200.00 depending on where you buy it. The magazines should feed a .357 Sig cartridge. I have never tried it. How many rounds have you put through the P229 SCT? Just curious but why would you swap a .40 S&W for .357 Sig? In theory you might get more penetration from a .357 Sig round but with a hot .40 S&W you can get close to the stopping power of a 10 mm. You can't come close with .357 Sig.

To answer one of your other posts, the .357 Sig is going to be slightly less recoil than .40 S&W. If it is too much you can buy lighter loads down to 115 or 124/125 gr. in .357 Sig that can come close to 9 mm. I would experiment with ammo before swapping the barrel. That's just me.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    My non-scientific experience has been the opposite: .357Sig has more perceived recoil than .40S&W. Both are pretty manageable out of the 229. I have only fired 9mm 239s so I can't speak to the "feel" of those calibers in that platform. I imagine that you would certainly notice the recoil, but that it would be tolerable.

I actually prefer the .357Sig to the .40S&W for most purposes, but they are both quite reasonable rounds and you'll be well served with either.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    My non-scientific experience has been the opposite: .357Sig has more perceived recoil than .40S&W. Both are pretty manageable out of the 229. I have only fired 9mm 239s so I can't speak to the "feel" of those calibers in that platform. I imagine that you would certainly notice the recoil, but that it would be tolerable.

I actually prefer the .357Sig to the .40S&W for most purposes, but they are both quite reasonable rounds and you'll be well served with either.
    There is no doubt the .357 Sig is fun. It is loud too. At 125 gr. It is like a red hot 9mm and close to a .357 magnum load. The Federal Premium JHP at 150 grain is even louder. Felt recoil. It is, I think, somewhat subjective. As you said, either will work well. There is though a lot more .40 S&W available at a reasonable price.

Here is some science I just found: source, Wikipedia

With a simplistic approach to physics, recoil being directly proportional to "muzzle velocity x bullet mass" (due to conservation of momentum), the recoil of the .357 SIG is equal to or slightly less than that of the .40 S&W, and less than that of the full-power 10 mm Auto loads or the original .357 Magnum [16], Handgun Recoil table as well as Federal and [17]. This simple approach to recoil is only part of the story as it is not only the properties of the bullet that produce recoil, a more important effect is the rocket like blast of propellant gases coming out of the barrel, after the bullet leaves the muzzle, that plays a greater role in the recoil felt.[citation needed] A more accurate view on recoil is that it is proportional to the mass of all ejecta x velocity of ejecta.[18] Even so, recoil calculated in this manner is only the starting point in a comparison with the .357 Magnum cartridge, since the latter is used in a revolver, in which all the recoil energy is felt recoil, while the .357 SIG cartridge is frequently used in a semi-automatic pistol of recoil operation, in which a significant portion of the recoil energy is diverted to cycle the action.

In comparing the energy levels of premium self defense ammunition the muzzle energy of 584 ft.lbs (792 J) of the 125 grains (8.1 g) 1,450 feet per second (440 m/s) .357 SIG load is higher than either the 475 ft·lbf (644 J) generated by a 155 grains (10.0 g) 1,175 feet per second (358 m/s) Speer GoldDot .40 S&W load or the 400 ft·lbf (540 J) generated by a 180 grains (12 g) 985 feet per second (300 m/s) Speer GoldDot .40 S&W load.[19]

Like the 10 mm Auto, the .357 SIG can be down-loaded to reduce recoil, to the point where recoil is similar to that of a 9x19mm Parabellum. However, since the .357 SIG uses bullets that are generally the same as those used in the 9 mm Para,[20] downloading it to this point would defeat the purpose of having the SIG cartridge in the first place, as recoil and ballistics would be identical to the less-powerful 9 mm cartridge.

Because the .357 SIG fires at relatively high pressures, muzzle flash and noise are significant with standard loads, even with longer barrels. Utilizing loads with specialized powders and experimenting with different bullet weights can reduce flash.
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Indeed, it may even be that the blast/flash of the .357Sig contributes to perceived recoil, even though the actual recoil impulse may be the same/lower. All that noise and light makes it feel like you've just touched off something that should have a relatively stiff recoil...

But they sure are fun, especially when USSS is paying for the ammo!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Yeap, I know you can buy a .357 barrel that will fit the P229 SCT. The Sig barrel is about $200.00 depending on where you buy it. The magazines should feed a .357 Sig cartridge. I have never tried it. How many rounds have you put through the P229 SCT? Just curious but why would you swap a .40 S&W for .357 Sig? In theory you might get more penetration from a .357 Sig round but with a hot .40 S&W you can get close to the stopping power of a 10 mm. You can't come close with .357 Sig.

To answer one of your other posts, the .357 Sig is going to be slightly less recoil than .40 S&W. If it is too much you can buy lighter loads down to 115 or 124/125 gr. in .357 Sig that can come close to 9 mm. I would experiment with ammo before swapping the barrel. That's just me.
    Not trying to argue but your post is a typical answer from someone who doesn't have experience with the .357sig round. A person needs to shoot some of a
    caliber before they start trying to compare it to something else.

I've been shooting .357sig for many years, out of many different guns. I even still own (gasp) a Taurus chambered for it. To anyone that wants to call .357sig a hot 9mm I say B.S. Numbers on the interweb are one thing,real life is another.

A p229 in .357sig is a absolute pleasure to shoot. In a p239 it makes you smile.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Not trying to argue but your post is a typical answer from someone who doesn't have experience with the .357sig round. A person needs to shoot some of a
    caliber before they start trying to compare it to something else.

I've been shooting .357sig for many years, out of many different guns. I even still own (gasp) a Taurus chambered for it. To anyone that wants to call .357sig a hot 9mm I say B.S. Numbers on the interweb are one thing,real life is another.

A p229 in .357sig is a absolute pleasure to shoot. In a p239 it makes you smile.

I shoot 357 Sig occasionally. Have I killed anything with it, no. 357 Sig is a bottle neck cartridge with a 9mm bullet. Not bashing .357 Sig at all.
    I'm busy with another profession most of the time. I also own a small Sporting goods, camping and hunting supply business and I am an FFL.
    I sell ammo, powder and guns. I sell Sig Sauer and most other brands.
    I don't take much out of inventory to shoot or I have to sell it used or keep it. I would like to own one of everything I sell but I still have to buy it. It is expensive even at cost.
    I don't have a .357 Sig in my personal collection. No particular reason, I just prefer 9mm and .45 ACP.
    .357 Sig is not exactly jumping off the shelves. I have quite a bit in stock right now. Gold Dot JHP, Winchester JHP or FMJ, CCI TMJ, all 125 gr. I also have Hornady 147 gr. JHP/XTP.
    Comparing 9 mm, .40 S&W and .357 Sig and .45 ACP. .357 Sig is the most expensive of all. Most are not spending for premium JHP at well over $1 per.
    Some are buying but not as much. Customers are buying accessories and smaller less expensive items, including less expensive guns and ammo.
    I have many more distributors calling almost every day. It wasn't like that even a year ago.
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by mason736 View Post
    About 6 months ago I picked up a new SIG P229 SCT in .357sig, for which I intended in carrying for my CCW. I LOVE the gun, don't get me wrong, but now I'm thinking about picking up a P239 SAS gen 2 in .357sig as my carry gun.

I'm feeling like the P229 is just a little to big to carry, and like the slimness of the P239.

I'm looking for opinions here for everyone on which is the better option.
    Have you tried carrying the P229?

I have a Sig P228 9mm (same size as 229) in a CrossBreed SuperTuck holster and a good gun belt - Wilderness 5-stitch Instructor or 5.11 casual leather belt. Easy and comfortable for me to carry. Sure something slimmer and lighter would be easier to carry but with a good holster and belt, I don't think you'll have a problem with your 229. Also you'll give up a lot of firepower going from the P229 to the P239.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links