Down to the wire: deciding on another pistol - Page 2

Down to the wire: deciding on another pistol

This is a discussion on Down to the wire: deciding on another pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You mentioned occassional carry in Florida so that would mean concealed carry. The Beretta 92 is a great weapon but a tad large for concealed ...

View Poll Results: What would you pick

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Para Ordnance 1911 10 Shot 45

12 16.22%
  • Glock 30 10 Shot 45

52 70.27%
  • Beretta 92 FS INOX (9 mm)

10 13.51%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Down to the wire: deciding on another pistol

Cool

You mentioned occassional carry in Florida so that would mean concealed carry. The Beretta 92 is a great weapon but a tad large for concealed carry which is the main reason I sold mine back in the late 80's. The Para Warthog is one gun I have no experience with. I do not particularly like a 1911 format with a barrel length shorter than 4" and I like a single stack but that's just me. I like Glocks and have several. They are reliable , simple to use , and the G-30 is a good concealed carry piece. That said I prefer the G-36 for concealed carry but you do give up 4 rounds to the G-30. Decisions, decisions. Good luck !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Administrator
    If it were strictly a HD pistol, I'd choose the 92. But since you want it to fill two roles, the G30 is the way to go.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If it was to add to the home defense line up, I'd go with the 92. I carry 1911's but occasionally carry a Sig 226 or 229 SCT under a T-Shirt here in South Texas, so some commenting on size for carry is a very personal thing and may not affect you at all. I even carried my HK USP Tactical 45 a few times under a t-shirt and it carried fine and I'm only 5'8" and about 175.

Nothing against the Glock 30, but for home defense, the 21 would make more sense since you already have two small Glocks, get a bigger one.

The Para for home defense is not the wisest choice in my OPINION. A full size or Commander carries fine and I see no need for a smaller 1911 for carry, but ESPECIALLY not for home defense. The smaller you go with 1911's the more chance there is of a failure due to springs, etc. So, there's no way I'd use a small 1911 for home defense (I wouldn't carry one either, personally). If you said a Wilson or Nighthawk in that size, I wouldn't be as concerned about reliability, but the Para may not have the same QC.

For home defense there's no reason for a small gun. For carry, in many cases, a larger gun is fine, but many have a fear of being made and then there's a small number that have real reasons for a smaller gun. My full size and Commanders carry like nothing is there with the right holster and belt.

From your list, and this may seem to contradict what I posted above, the Glock MAY be the best choice if you plan on carrying it as much as you use it for home defense. Personally, from the list, I'd still probably go with the 92....from your list.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

G30 - although I would opt for a G21

I vote for the G30.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Stay with Glock but upgrade to the 21
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Taking everyone's input, I changed from a Para to a Colt Officer's Stainless 1911, a Springfield Armory Officer Sized Stainless 1911 or a Beretta 92 FS INOX.

I already have 2 Glocks and the 30 is a bit too thick. The Para has an equivocal track record for 1911s. I will look at two more gunships and buy something by the end of the week.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I'm starting to think that this forum should be renamed from DC to GC, JMO, personally, I prefer 1911 (though, I still haven't fired a Glock)
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

kpw
    I could like another Colt OM. Selling it is a little regret of mine.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Glock 30 from your list.

But I've held the G30 and it feels a bit bulky to me. Kinda sad that coming from a Glock fan boy. But I have medium chubby hands and I just couldn't get a good grip on it. And don't get me started on the G21. I used to get mad when people use to call Glocks ''2x4's'', but after holding both the G21SF and the G30SF, I can 'kinda' understand.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

OD*
    Of those listed, the Glock.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Another Glock-30 vote here...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks, everyone for the input. I got a Kimber Pro Raptor II.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Well, I voted for the G30 as well. Thing is....if it's going to work well for you. My previous G30 just didn't get carried enough, a bit too muzzle heavy for me and maybe the grip wasn't just right. I haven't handled the SF version yet, so I don't know if it's something for me to reconsider now. That being said, and out of those on your list....I'd really love to have a WartHog.

G30 all day

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links