Kimber Ultra Carry II

This is a discussion on Kimber Ultra Carry II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up a slightly used Ultra carry II I am so HAPPY. Now what should I look at for carry ammo? I am thinking ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Ultra Carry II

Kimber Ultra Carry II

Just picked up a slightly used Ultra carry II I am so HAPPY. Now what should I look at for carry ammo? I am thinking about Speer 185 gn Gold Dot.
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I have had a Tactical Ultra II for several years and it is an awesome pistol. It fired almost everything from the very beginning. I had the ramp polished after about 100 rounds and since then, it has fired everything and anything with no exception. I stick with 230 grain hollow points - either Federal or Winchester. It will fire anything you are comfortable putting into it. I would suggest, however, getting a couple of upper end mags. I use Wilson mags. I think they are better then what Kimber sends with their pistols.

I think you will like this gun and you'll really like carrying it (just don't forget that it is there!).

Quote Originally Posted by TxRedbone View Post
    Just picked up a slightly used Ultra carry II I am so HAPPY. Now what should I look at for carry ammo? I am thinking about Speer 185 gn Gold Dot.
    Thanks
    That or 230gr, either will work for ya'. I have a CDP Ultra and use both grains.:hands10:
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Speer GDHP in 230gr

Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Congrats from one Ultra owner to another.

Believe it or not I'm just running the 230 FMJ's in mine. Being a 3" and new, and only about seven hundred rounds through it so far, I'm putting the reliability and penetration of the FMJ over the JHP for defense. Plenty of dirt naps can be tallied up by the .45 FMJ. If ya gotta have the JHP, I'd suggest something designed for the short barrel, or possibly dropping down to the 185gr Ranger or Golden saber, or even the Gold Dot for a little additional velocity to aid the expansion. YMMV

Congrats again and enjoy your new Kimber!

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

GM
    Congrats on the Kimber. I am sure you will enjoy it
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

My Tactical Ultra II refuses to NOT go bang no matter what I feed it. It's NEVER hicupped with any hollow point. I tortured it until it was glowin' white hot.... wouldn't fail. Tried riding the slide with my thumbs, NOPE... still goes BOOM. That hasn't changed for several thousand rounds.... just a great little carry gun.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Mine shoots anything I feed it also. I just took it to the range after about a 3 month layoff. I was putting in more time with a new 9mm. Now I remember why I liked the UCII so much. It's a nice shooter and dead on accurate. A 1911 is a lot more fun than a 9mm imo. Just wish it wasn't so expensive to shoot.

I have one it that has had the feed ramped polished by kimber. Other than that it just rocks and is my favorite pistol. Awesome accuracy, especially within 10 yards. I sold some laser grips I had for it because I felt they may slow me down...lol. I love it.

Thanks
    Congrats on the new Kimber. I have an Ultra CDP II and love it. Before you start carrying, I would give it a good wringing out at the range. Some of the short barreled 1911 style pistols can be a bit finicky about what they eat. Most are not, but why take a chance? As far as carry ammo, when in doubt, GO HEAVY!!! My carry load is Federal Tactical HST in 230 gr. Whatever you choose, make sure you fire 100 trouble free rounds of it before you trust you life to it cycling in your particular weapon.

YMMV

Lon

Like GBK, I'm carrying good ole 230FMJ. But my Ultra Carry II has eaten anything that's been put in it.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
    Ted Nugent

VIP Member
    May I give you a word of advice? I feel that I should because no one else has pipped up. Gold dots don't do well in many Kimbers, but golden sabers do. It comes down to the bullet shape of the HP's. YMV....... I love my Kimber! It's a total tack driver!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Congrats!

My Ultra Carry's (yes plural) have no issues any .45 ball. The only JHP that creates problems is Remington. I use Fed HST 230g for SD. Also, the Kimber Tac Pro mags have been great for me.

Congrats on the Kimber UC II & welcome to the forum! My Pro Carry IIs are like ladies of ill repute...as long as I spend the money, they take anything I put in them! My normal carry ammo is 230 grn. Federal HST. I agree w/ C Hawk Glock regarding Golden Sabers. They have fed well for me in my problem 1911 (non-Kimber).
    Last edited by Martial Archer; July 29th, 2010 at 06:51 AM. Reason: insufficient coffee = spelling errors
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Thanks
    I use the Hornady Critical Defense or Remington Golden Sabre in 45 ACP. Gold Dots are excellent, also.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links