Should I pick up another Kimber?

This is a discussion on Should I pick up another Kimber? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I stopped into the local Gander Mountain to see if they had any Speer GDHP's and came across a used Kimber Ultra Carry II ...

Thread: Should I pick up another Kimber?

Should I pick up another Kimber?

So I stopped into the local Gander Mountain to see if they had any Speer GDHP's and came across a used Kimber Ultra Carry II like this one.....

But with after market Hogue Grips like this pair....

It is the base model without night sights or CT grips. They are aksing $529.00 for it and they normally go for around $950.

The gun is practically spotless It seems like it has barely been shot at all, no holster wear marks, no idiot scratch, no sign of rusting....the only thing that was bothering me about this gun is that the previous owner changed out the magazine relase to an aftermarket one that looks something like this but silver.....

And that has me worried because it didn't seem like a professional install. Some minor scratches on the opposite side of the mag release (area of scratches shown with arrows....NOT actual gun)

Im just worried because I don't want a gun that somebody tried to be a do it yourself gunsmith

So what do you think? Is it a good deal? Should I take a leap of faith? Or should I just run far, far, away?

Additional information: I already have a Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry II. Which means I already have holsters, an extra set of CT grips, and spare/upgrade parts laying around......
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    A plain jane UCII does NOT go for $950, if anyone wants to spend that much for a bare bones Kimber, I have a bridge to sell you. MSRP is $888 which puts retail around $750ish.

As for this Kimber you saw, the mag catch doesn't take anything to install or replace and the asking price doesn't seem to outrageous.

I would be curious to see if anything else is not stock.

If it was me, I'd buy it and if worried about the mag release take it to a gunsmith for inspection. Even with the inspection/work it could probably still be a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    A plain jane UCII does NOT go for $950, if anyone wants to spend that much for a bare bones Kimber, I have a bridge to sell you. MSRP is $888 which puts retail around $750ish.

As for this Kimber you saw, the mag catch doesn't take anything to install or replace and the asking price doesn't seem to outrageous.

I would be curious to see if anything else is not stock.
    In my neck of the woods they sell for $900 or above

I would be curious to see if anything else is not stock
    As am I From the outside everything else appears stock
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I'd buy it if I was reasonably certain it hasn't been butchered on the kitchen table.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

VIP Member
    kimbers rock
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

kpw
    $739 here for a new one so $529 for a used one in decent shape isn't bad. I'm curious as to why Gander Mountain would be so low on the price. Their used guns aren't usually much less than their new ones and their prices are bloated on those as well. I'd be leary buying a 3 inch Kimber not knowing the original owner or at least having some feedback from them.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Just picked up that exact model for right a eight hundred and change. IMO it's a good deal, but I'm pretty new to the 1911 and mine is my first Kimber, so my evaluation of the manufacturer and platform itself can be thought of as iffy, but well intended. At that price I'd say yes, I'd pull the trigger on it in a heart beat. My Ultra has been flawless with seven hundred rounds DR and I believe the Kimber 1911 is a pretty decent pistol overall, IMO and from much reading, they probably rank somewhere in the mid tier level of the many manufacturers out there.

One things for sure; if you don't pick it up someone else will at that price.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

OD*
    I think I'd pass, the guy didn't know the magazine catch lock wasn't a screw, what else didn't he know about the 1911 and try to improve.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Kimber says the MSRP is $1102 for an Ultra TLE II. No dealer sells at MSRP but Kimber does set the MAP pricing for new at 768.68. In store, a dealer can sell for whatever price they wish.
    Supply and demand usually dictates the in store selling price. This is a buyers market so the trend would be somewhat less than the MAP.
    Offer $480 for used in Good condition and see where it goes.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I am on my third Kimber. Someone stole my Eclipse whih I FINALLY was able to shoot JHP. My SIS also gived me trouble with JHP which is ridiculas since it designed for tactical work. My Raptor is very accurate to shoot BUT still giving me issues with hand loaded JHP. I will be selling my 5" Raptor and replacing it with a STI.

GM
    I should say "yes. pick up another Kimber, but not that one". How can you know what other change the owned made or tried to make?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

If it was in good condition it would be a no brainer. I love mine but the finish, like most Kimbers I've seen, are very crappy finishes. It easily chips, the person who had the one you're looking at maybe could have easily scratched or chipped the finish installing the mag release. I have one and I love it, it's very very accurate. I'll be refinishing mine eventually. You could probably find one for $800 or better new if you check online.

Links