What is your Back Up Gun (BUG) & why did you choose it?

This is a discussion on What is your Back Up Gun (BUG) & why did you choose it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is your Back Up Gun (BUG) and why did you choose it? I'm starting to think about getting a BUG. I have noticed that ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your Back Up Gun (BUG) & why did you choose it?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

What is your Back Up Gun (BUG) & why did you choose it?

What is your Back Up Gun (BUG) and why did you choose it?

I'm starting to think about getting a BUG. I have noticed that a lot of people get a revolver as their BUG, reason being, revolvers rarely malfunction and are extremely reliable. I don't doubt this line of reasoning but see no reason as to why one couldn't have a semi-auto as their back up as well? My rationale for this is that it would be extremely unlikely that two semi-autos are going to malfunction at the exact same time.

I'm personally thinking about getting a G27 (Sub-Compact .40 Glock) for my BUG.

I'd love to hear about what you guys carry as your BUG and the reason you chose the gun that you chose.

God bless,

2. Remove Ads

I wish I had the money to buy a BUG but it's not in my budget at the moment!

My bug is a S&W 637 J-frame. I chose it because its very light weight and I prefer .38 over .380. It is very easy to conceal. To me a bug should be small enough to pocket carry or maybe ankle. I have a G27 I sometimes carry IWB as a primary with the J- frame in a pocket. The J frame also becomes a primary sometimes in summer attire.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Sig p238 because @ the time it fit in the jeans i was wearing when i went gun shopping..great gun but wish i'd have gotten the LCR instead but now they make the LCR in .357 so i'll save my pennies for something new maybe

VIP Member
    S&W M&P 340CT

I just can't think of a better BUG!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

kpw
    Most of the time a Kel-Tec P32 because it's small, light and reliable. It ain't great but it works and annoys me the least.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    Mines STILL in the glass case at my local gun store................a DAO 357 SP101 with 2.25" barrel. "One of these days Alice!"
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Ruger LCP. Because it's thin and light which makes it great for pocket carry. It also doubles as my primary deep concealment gun when I can't carry my G26.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

It really depends on where I'm going. I know you can't predict when and where things are going to happen, however, there are places where a higher possibility does exist.

Since getting my Ruger LCP it's just so thin, small and compact, I just can't justify not having at least that gun wherever I go. But if I'm going up to Kansas City, St. Louis or other large cities, I'll carry a high capacity subcompact XD9sc as a Bug with a G-23 as primary. And again, the LCP will usually tucked away in a pocket somewhere.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Kahr PM9 as a BUG it is small lite and powerful 9mm sometimes my only carry gun, or Ruger LCP hides well and I carry JHP in summer and FMJFN in winter for the 380.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    Sig p238 because @ the time it fit in the jeans i was wearing when i went gun shopping..
    Shoplifting?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Ruger LCP. Because it's thin and light which makes it great for pocket carry. It also doubles as my primary deep concealment gun when I can't carry my G26.
    What Rollo said! In a business suit, I either carry a G26 in a Smartcarry, or my LCP in a pocket. I don't normally carry a BUG - but that might change.

Sometimes I carry 2 LCPs in casual attire on weekends - one in each pocket (when my wife does not wish to carry hers ). This allows me ambidextrous access. (I've toyed with the idea of getting yet another LCP and doing this as my primary carry method when not on duty...but I can't figure out what to do with my wallet, since I hate having stuff in my back pockets...too uncomfortable when driving.)

When on duty, I carry the G26 plus my LCP in a pocket as a BUG.

Edit - I chose the LCP because my wife had one, so we can share mags and ammo. It is light and thin, carries more ammo than a snubbie, and is easier/faster to reload. Crimson Trace makes a laser for it (I have their lasers on all my carry pistols and will not buy a pistol that does not have a CT laser available for it). Ruger's customer service is excellent - my wife's LCP had the takedown pin head shear off (the pistol still fired)...Ruger paid for shipping both ways and rebuilt her (early) pistol into the latest standard at no cost to me (only the frame and barrel are original).
    Last edited by 10thmtn; July 27th, 2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling; added thoughts
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Kahr PM9 small of the back.
    Glock 20 in the glove box.
    DPMS LR 308 in the trunk.
    Walking softly doesn't mean I have to be out gunned.

Smith M&P 340...in a Desantis Nemesis. I picked it because it is a Smith J frame, has 357/38 variability, and is very light but powerful. It also has a XS Tritium dot on the front and is ultra reliable. My EDC is a Glock 23. I will be buying a G27 eventually to replace the one I sold foolishly years ago. I just think it will be a primary not a backup...I am a big guy and most pants will not hold a G27 in the pocket which is where I want to have my BUG.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    My bug is a S&W 637 J-frame. I chose it because its very light weight and I prefer .38 over .380. It is very easy to conceal. To me a bug should be small enough to pocket carry or maybe ankle. I have a G27 I sometimes carry IWB as a primary with the J- frame in a pocket. The J frame also becomes a primary sometimes in summer attire.
    ^^^^This! Except replace Glock 27 with Glock 26.
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links