Defensive Carry banner

Ruger Security Six

8K views 28 replies 26 participants last post by  pirate 
#1 ·
What can someone tell me about this gun? I just made an impulse purchase on one in good cond, and I will pay dearly when my wife finds out, but what could I do? I dont see many around, and like the idea of a three inch .357 with adj sights.. It was clean and tight with no screw marks , but was a mess on the inside, lots of lead.. Had nice trigger pull in both single and double action, so I think I did ok at 300, maybe paid a bit much, but like I said I dont ever see them around.. I hope I will feel better about it after I heat the barrel up.

#5 ·
"Good luck with the wife!"

Therein lies the challenge.:nono:

#6 ·
That was my first official gun purchase back...a long time ago. I had a new 4" 357 blued Ruger Security Six for about $150. I should have kept it but needed the $ to...expand my gun horizons. It is an excellent shooter. Keep it. You can use some good bore cleaner that removes lead and brass. Just watch out for the Hoppes #9 on the blued finish (if it is blued).

#7 ·
Great wheelgun. I had a Ruger Security Six & a Ruger Police Service Six. Never any problems with either.

My single action pull on my ol' Security Six was not that great when I first got it. So I did a Poor Mans Trigger Job on it and that fixed it right up.

OK OK OK - A Poor Mans Trigger Job...also known as Jacking The Hammer.

> Take the UNLOADED revolver -

> Check the cylinder for empty & then check it again. :yup:

> Cock The Hammer.

> Use a piece of hardwood to put upward pressure on the hammer.

> Pull the trigger while maintaining that pressure on the hammer.

> Do that a few times. Only a few times.

Your SA trigger pull will be improved. It's an old gunsmith trick. The increased pressure contact polishes the sear to the hammer hooks.

#8 ·
I have a Police Service Six I bought for 350. The major difference between them is the service six has fixed sights. So you got a good deal cheaper then mine with adjustable sights. They're good guns and built tonka tough. I'm just trying to figure out how to carry it concealed with a 4 inch barrel :biggrin2: .

#9 ·
You did good for $300. One of the very few guns I wish I never traded was a 4 inch Security Six. Wonderful gun that just didn't fit my short stubby fingers. I'm gonna have to look at that bone implant surgery to lengthen my trigger finger...I'm missing out on way too many quality handguns.

Congrats on the new (to you) Ruger, and take your time on the de-leading project, it will be worth the effort to do it right.

surv

#10 ·
Great gun and great price. I've got a 4" Police Service Six I bought 14 years ago for $125 (I thought it was a steal back then). It had 3 shots through it when I bought it and it still looks brand new today (with several hundred rounds through it). You're going to love it. I bought a SP101 with 2.25" bbl a little while back. The Ruger wheel guns are hard to beat. Congrats. Let us know what you think after you get a chance to take it to the range...I'm sure you'll feel great about your purchase.

#11 ·
I think I paid about 175 for one 32 years ago. Good gun. Can't go wrong.

#14 ·
They sure don't get high marks for looks and svelte design, but they are tops for ruggedness. Got my 6" Security Six for $250 as part of the Y2K contingency plan and dumped the skinny wooden grips for a Hogue Monogrip. A joy to shoot.

#15 ·
Predecessor to the GP-100 and a very fine weapon. $300 you done good, since the gun was discontinued some years ago just tell the wife it was one that had been in the back of the safe and you forget you had it. :ahhhhh:

#17 ·
Thanks for the feedback, like the trigger job info. BTW did I tell you my wife is German/Irish? Pray for me... Evasion may be the only intelligent choice.

#20 ·
I still have my stainless steel security six. It was the first gun I purchased. Outstanding revolver, very accurate, very reliable. I had the trigger worked down to 2.5-3lb pull in SA. Just about every shot is a surprise, and results in excellent groups.

Probably the one gun I'll never give up.

#22 ·
I bought my first "real gun" (after a few .22s) a brand new Ruger Security Six 4" blued from The Brass Rail gunshop in Hollywood just after they came out---$106 OTD---a really early model and it shot just fine---but as life changed, so did my thinking and it got sold to my best buddy (I believe he still has it)---wanted another one and picked up an newer 4" blued and many many years later found a minty used 4" stainless---I still have and shoot both regularly---good guns!

#23 ·
The Ruger Security Six and its variants the Service Six and Speed Six are all fine handguns. Solid as a rock in every way. These handguns were the first of the Ruger investment cast guns and were some of the first revolver designs to feature a transfer-bar lockwork.

#29 ·
And you could give it to your grandson and he could use it for another 36 years and it will still be going strong.......they are that good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.