.38 snubbie trigger question

This is a discussion on .38 snubbie trigger question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an older S&W snubbie; 2 in. barrel. Mod-2. I've decided this will be my primary carry gun. I'm wondering how I can lighten ...

Thread: .38 snubbie trigger question

Smile .38 snubbie trigger question

I have an older S&W snubbie; 2 in. barrel. Mod-2. I've decided this will be my primary carry gun. I'm wondering how I can lighten the double action trigger pull. I've done some research and have heard of just cutting off one coil at a time on the primary spring until it's light enough (of course without decreasing the strength to the point of diminishing reliability). Can anyone give me some information re: this process or other information that might be helpful? Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I have had good results using 8lb mainspring from Wolff. http://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers/...3/mID58/dID263

Some people say these can reduce ignition reliability but I haven't found that to be the case. I put more rounds down range than most people.
    Some drink at the fountain of Knowledge, others just gargle.

A wolff spring replacement is easy. Youtube video walks you through it (do a search). You can also polish the trigger mechanism with metal polish and a dremel while you have it apart and that will smooth things out as well. It's an easy mod and you can keep the original spring in tact just in case you decide to switch it back or include it in re-sale.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

be careful lighteneing the trigger up. if you ever end up in court due toa self defense situation youl have to defend why you lightened the trigger. smiths double action triggers are great for carry just the way they are. just my opinion.

Administrator
    You can lighten the DA trigger pull just by installing a lighter trigger rebound spring and not touching the mainspring.
    See this VID for how to pop out the rebound slide.

You do not need that rebound slide tool if you're just going swap out the rebound spring one time.
    You can simply file a slot in the blade of a small flat bladed screwdriver and that will make it easy to get the lighter spring back in.

VIP Member
    I replaced just the rebound slide spring a Model 19 snubby before, very nice improvement in trigger pull. One note on removing the side plate, it is a tight fit so after removing the screws take a small plastic faced hammer and tap around the side plate outside of the part line and it will come out. Do not pry on the side plate, as it will mar it.

Here are some more instructions. http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmit...ingkit_200812/
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
    I have an older S&W snubbie; 2 in. barrel. Mod-2. I've decided this will be my primary carry gun. I'm wondering how I can lighten the double action trigger pull. I've done some research and have heard of just cutting off one coil at a time on the primary spring until it's light enough (of course without decreasing the strength to the point of diminishing reliability). Can anyone give me some information re: this process or other information that might be helpful? Thanks
    How much has it been fired? If not that much some snap caps and dry firing might just do the trick.

Try one of these springs:

(hmmm. can't get a picture to load. sorry)
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

a spring replacement kit is one way to do it. you can also polish the trigger parts, but don't go to far when you do. firing and/or dry firing the gun works best, but takes longer.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by joedodge View Post
    be careful lighteneing the trigger up. if you ever end up in court due toa self defense situation youl have to defend why you lightened the trigger.
    With all due respect - that's far-fetched. It's been tried a few times and usually gets slapped down. Don't modify the factory springs, pop for a Wolff spring set. It'll seem like a different gun. Make sure everything inside is smooth, clean, and well-oiled.

VIP Member
    I recommend an action/trigger tuning by a reputable gunsmith before proceeding with a spring kit. Removing metal burs and/or high spots from the bearing surfaces will improve or lighten the trigger pull without compromising reliability.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

My old favorite Smith & Wesson revolvers have all smoothed up from use. Smith & Wesson revolvers, at least the older traditional ones, wear in, not out. It is said that a single coil may be clipped from the rebound spring to lighten the DA trigger pull but removal of any more than one compromises reliability. I don't know personally. I can work on Smith & Wesson revolvers but I don't choose to modify them.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I recommend an action/trigger tuning by a reputable gunsmith before proceeding with a spring kit. Removing metal burs and/or high spots from the bearing surfaces will improve or lighten the trigger pull without compromising reliability.
    I agree completely. I had my 638 done by Actions by T (Teddy Jacobson) in Sugarland,Texas. and it came back with an 8 lb DA and a glass rod break. Completely reliable ignition.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Links