Sentimentality has no place......

This is a discussion on Sentimentality has no place...... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iíve said it before and I will say it again, now. Sentimentality has no place in choosing a self-defense handgun. If it doesnít work, it ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sentimentality has no place......

VIP Member

Iíve said it before and I will say it again, now. Sentimentality has no place in choosing a self-defense handgun. If it doesnít work, it doesnít work. Learn to recognize when it is time to move on.

11 months ago I entered into the world of the 1911 .45acp with a Colt Combat Commander XSE. I was, and still am, utterly impressed with the accuracy of this firearm. It is a pure pleasure to shoot and the feel of it in my hand is wonderful. It ainít bad lookiní either.

As with most 1911ís, it has issues with JHP ammunition. I switched to Wilson 47Dís and had some ramp work done. This ďsolvedĒ the issue. And, yet, I still get the occasional FTF (double feed or failure to go into battery). They are rare, but disconcerting. In the last three range trips (roughly 300 rounds), I have had THREE such incidents using various factory ammunition and multiple magazines.

I have been averaging 1 failure per 875 rounds. I have been told that most 1911 owners would be satisfied with this rate and be happy. Nothing is perfect and anything mechanical can fail, blah, blah, blah.

When the Colt first went in for work, I started looking at other options. I own various GLOCKs and use a G19 as my secondary carry piece. I do like my G19 and I have no problem with it as a carry piece, but, I like the .45acp. I donít intended to get into caliber discussions. I like 9mm, but prefer .45acp. That is my personal choice. I really liked the concept of the SIG P220 SAO. Unfortunately, SIG only does a run of those every other leap year, or something like that. I could not find one ANYWHERE. Instead I picked up a P220 (DA/SA) as a secondary EDC. I have been shooting this for 4 months trying to get the DA/SA transition worked into my muscle memory.

After the last range trip I did some soul searching regarding the Colt as EDC. I decided that I could not carry it anymore. I slipped my G19 in a holster and put the 1911 away. Over the last five days I have been out of town dealing with my mother who has been in the hospital. I decided to take the SIG instead of the G19. Its size, weight, reliability, and, yes, caliber, was very comforting to me.

My brother asked me why I wasnít carrying the Colt and I told him the story. He said, ďBut you love that gun. You said it was your favorite and would shoot it 24 hours a day if you could.Ē

I had to explain that I DO still enjoy shooting that gun and it IS still my favorite, but for EDC it isnít right for me. It isnít personal. It is just a matter of using the right tool for the job.

So, for those out there who stick with a sub-par firearm out of some sense of loyalty or nostalgia or some other touchy-feely sentiment, I say enjoy your favorites at the range, but, CARRY the one(s) that you can rely upon to save your life.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    RoadRunner71

I have seen the same thing with 1911's and HP's, one thing I did was call Kimber and asked what they recommended as my gold dots did not feed at all. They said golden sabre and so I gave them a try, they have been 100%.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Sentimentality does have its place, but it's not in my holster. That said, my EDC is a Springfield Armory Mil Spec 1911. It's been customized, but it ran flawlessly out of the box. I have over 11,000 rounds through it (stopped keeping track at that point), with nary a glitch. The only problem I've encountered when running that gun was when I once had two "dud" rounds of Blazer aluminum cased fodder out of the same 50rd box. The primers were deeply punched, but no joy.

Even my 1977 Colt GM eats JHP's indiscriminately - Gold Dots, Golden Saber, XST, whatever...
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    RoadRunner71

I have seen the same thing with 1911's and HP's, one thing I did was call Kimber and asked what they recommended as my gold dots did not feed at all. They said golden sabre and so I gave them a try, they have been 100%.
    Yup, been through all that and I have been and still am working on it. I am NOT giving up on the Colt. It is my favorite shooter. It just isn't a carry piece to me anymore. That is the point I was trying to make. Just because we love something, we must not blind ourselves to its limitations.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    I should say that my 1911 is not my EDC it's just too big for me, but it's dependable for me and could fill that role if need be. I am sorry for the issues with the Colt, they sure are sweet shooters!

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    For me carry guns are what I am comfortable with! I have no loyalty to any brand or Cal. I can almost promise that I will change out my carry gun within 6 months because I found something I like better then I decide if I still like the old carry piece I keep it. If I don't want it anymore it leaves.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have to agree with the OP on this. There's nothing better than a nice 1911, but deep in my heart, I don't trust them.

As much as I love the looks and legend of the 1911, and enjoyed shooting one on a few ocassions, it certainly seems that many, if not most, need special name-brand mags, a new trigger setup, ramps polished, different springs, etc. Far too many owners have had to do something to make them work right. No disrespect to 1911 lovers (there's one inside me too), all I did to my Glock when I bought it was load it. I've had one FTE, and that was entirely my fault.

The doesn't seem to be anything complicated about a 1911 in comparison to many other makes, so what is it that makes them so finicky, even in the expensive, "top-of-the-line brands?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I have to agree with the OP on this. There's nothing better than a nice 1911, but deep in my heart, I don't trust them.

As much as I love the looks and legend of the 1911, and enjoyed shooting one on a few ocassions, it certainly seems that many, if not most, need special name-brand mags, a new trigger setup, ramps polished, different springs, etc. Far too many owners have had to do something to make them work right. No disrespect to 1911 lovers (there's one inside me too), all I did to my Glock when I bought it was load it. I've had one FTE, and that was entirely my fault.

The doesn't seem to be anything complicated about a 1911 in comparison to many other makes, so what is it that makes them so finicky, even in the expensive, "top-of-the-line brands?
    Exactly...if I am going to drop $1,000 on something....it should WORK. I'd prefer a 1911 that works right out of the box than one that needs TLC
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Well, i'm sorry to hear about your issues, but I've now gone 2700 rounds with no failures whatsoever with my Dan Wesson CBOB. It is my firm belief that in the world of 1911s, you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

I don't know because I've never seen a semi-custom 1911 fail. That being said, the gun must be in spec. If it's off by so much one way or another then it will fail. Ask any good 1911 smith and there is a range that certain things like the feed ramp and barrel can be in order to be considered "in spec" anything too much or too little on the angle or whatever the case may be and problems can arise.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

RoadRunner71, OldVet, and ctsketch gotta agree with ya'll. I've got a 1911 that I'd love to carry also, but it is not reliable. I'll keep it and I'd definately ude it to defend my life if needed but my EDC GLOCK 19 is the one I can trust to go bang every time. I love 1911 pistols and I love GLOCKs also, but I know which of the 2 that I own are trustworthy.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    RoadRunner71, OldVet, and ctsketch gotta agree with ya'll. I've got a 1911 that I'd love to carry also, but it is not reliable. I'll keep it and I'd definately ude it to defend my life if needed but my EDC GLOCK 19 is the one I can trust to go bang every time. I love 1911 pistols and I love GLOCKs also, but I know which of the 2 that I own are trustworthy.
    Again it depends on a lot of factors. An in spec gun with good magazines as I've said many times on this forum should make for a gun that goes and goes provided you have good springs all around as well. My 1911 is as reliable as my Glock. A good 1911 will be the same way regardless of manufacturer. However, I'll say it again you get what you pay for with 1911s. The more expensive ones have more work done on them to ensure reliability.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I do not know what 1911's you have/had, but I can tell that I completely trust my BHP and my 1911’s. I am a huge fan of the BHP and the 1911, and I believe that they are two of the best pistols ever made. Now just for clarification's sake, I do not hate Glocks, I have a G19 too (it is my second one).

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Well, i'm sorry to hear about your issues, but I've now gone 2700 rounds with no failures whatsoever with my Dan Wesson CBOB. It is my firm belief that in the world of 1911s, you get what you pay for.

I don't know because I've never seen a semi-custom 1911 fail. That being said, the gun must be in spec. If it's off by so much one way or another then it will fail. Ask any good 1911 smith and there is a range that certain things like the feed ramp and barrel can be in order to be considered "in spec" anything too much or too little on the angle or whatever the case may be and problems can arise.

Congrats on the CBOB. I have a CBOB too and it has worked flawless after the break-in period. It is very sweet 1911.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

"I am a huge fan of the BHP and the 1911."

Me too. They represent the only two semi-autos I take seriously.

The 1911s that I've seen work every time are U.S. military contract guns or older Colts rather than the fancied up copies. I'd feel confident jumping into the fray with a Colt or U.S. military pistol. If it wasn't for some of OD's enlightening comments here on the Forum I'd have a very dim view of most commercial 1911 permutations. I trust the basic design but it seems that more than a few current purveyors of the 1911 apparently aren't getting it right. The old pistol just isn't troublesome in my view. "Improved," modified, customized, chopped and channeled, rolled and pleated, balanced and blue-printed, tricked out, and spread with special sauce and three kinds of cheese and baked to a crackly crunch ... well yeah, then it can be trouble.

Have a whole cottage industry out there treating the current favored polymer creation to every whim of design modification and aftermarket part the same way the Model 1911 design is adulterated and that pistol will choke and hark too. Some of what is passed off as "1911" out there is pretty far removed from the original "spirit and intent" and this should be born in mind.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I know this may sound like sacrilege because many folks love Colt so much that they would collect the horse terd droppings and put them on a shelf if they could, but would you consider trading it for another 1911 that is a bit more reliable? Or maybe another type of Colt?

All brands have their issues, but their are many reliable 1911's out there.

Here is one..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEABZswQWDg

This is why I bought a Glock AND a DW V-Bob
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links