Defensive Carry banner

Recommendations please for first handgun for a lefty

18K views 34 replies 32 participants last post by  sass20485 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm going to help my brother shop for his first handgun, probably starting at a major gunshow this weekend, just to get some "how does it feel in your hands" experience for any brand under the sun. Then on to a range to rent some of the better options. Then eventually shop around and buy the best one.

The only catch is he is a lefty. I am not so I don't really think about this, but what semiauto pistols are better for a lefty? I guess the factors are whether the safety and/or decocker, and mag release are reversible or ambidextrous. What about takedown lever, does that really matter? Any other considerations? (Lefty holster availability).

Other consideration is that his wife is right handed, so an ambidexterous platform would probably be best so that she can use it too.

Open to all recommendations.

#4 ·
I am a lefty and I do think about these things.

The primary concern that I have when shopping for a new firearm is whether or not it can be operated with either hand. I personally like Glock for this reason. There is no manual safety lever to deal with and the mag release is actually easier for a lefty to actuate than a righty.

I also like the Sig lines as well. Mag releases and safety/decocker levers are easily reached with the left fore finger. The slide release is a bit more challenging, but I usually use and over hand slide grasp for reloads. It can be managed with the fore finger, but not without changing your grip.

Other than that, look for the same things you would for yourself.

Good luck!

#5 ·
Left-hander, here.

To my way of thinking, a lefty-friendly gun is where the controls are easily reachable and can be easily manipulated by the left hand fingers. That either means a gun with sufficiently large and easy-to-use controls where you learn to use them no matter where they are, or a gun with controls flipped to the other side for lefties. As a lefty, I've used both and don't really care which one I shoot. The one thing I can't deal with is a semi-auto pistol where my fingers simply can't reach or can't manipulate the controls. Everything else, I feel is fairly "lefty friendly," even though the controls might not be flipped onto the right-hand (lefty) side.

My first firearm was a Browning BDM 9mm pistol. With a large, easy-to-use decocker/safety lever that was ambidextrous, the gun was simple to operate with either hand. The gun isn't made any longer, but Heckler & Koch has the ambidextrous thing down pat, these days.

If really looking for a lefty-friendly semi-auto pistol, check out Heckler & Koch's P2000, P2000SK (compact), P30, USP, USP Compact pistols. The P2000 series has an ambidextrous slide release, no external manual safety lever or decocker. The USP's come in a variety of flavors, but the controls can be switched to the other side if you choose. Extremely well made, reliable, accurate. Available in 9mm, .357 SIG, .40 and .45, depending on the model.

For several years, I had a CZ P-01 9mm pistol. It's a SA/DA action, with decocker lever on the left side. All the controls are large and easy to manipulate. Even being lefty, I found each lever to be simple to use with the finger of my left hand, and when shooting righty everything was accessible with the right thumb.

IMO, it essentially depends on your hand and whether you've long since adapted your shooting to accommodate right-handed pistols. So long as a pistol has larger, easy-to-manipulate controls, I think it's reasonably simple to use as a lefty. That's assuming your fingers can reach the controls easily. Many lefties report easily being able to use the Glock 19, various SIG pistols, and other similar models that have puny, hard-to-reach (for me) controls. It all depends on you and your preferences.

That being said, I simply love certain pistols for their ergonomics and great feel in the hand, which also includes the ability to reach and operate the controls (of course). If looking for a new pistol that multiple people are going to use, I would also consider the Kahr K9, P9, CW9 pistols. The K9, in particular, is extremely well made with great ergonomics. Or, the CZ 75 series (including the PCR D Compact and the P-01). Each is excellent, assuming you both can reach the controls, since it's a bit larger frame. You have the 2075 RAMI and SP01, so you know what I mean about the CZ's. If you require ambi controls, consider the H&K pistols. All are exceptional.

#8 ·
I vote for a Walther P99 or PPS. They both have an ambidextrous mag release. No need to switch mag release buttons at all.
Comfortable grip, reliable and Walther quality!

Just my $.02

#10 ·
FNH FNX 9, 40 or 45, depending on your preference of caliber.

I shoot with both hands and really enjoy the full ambidextrous controls. Safety/decocker, slide release and mag release are on both sides and well designed.

#11 ·
The mag release isn't as big a deal for lefties as hyped. Just press it with the forefinger. My CZ-82 has ambi-safety and mag release, and I find it easier to use my finger than the thumb for the mag button (I'm a rightie).
The Gen 4 Glocks have a reverseable mag release, although that wouldn't work if both rightie and leftie want to use it.

#12 · (Edited)
I am right handed however I do a fair amount of shooting with the left or off hand. My duty weapon is a Glock 21 SF. It has an ambi mag release and since I never use the slide release it is not an issue. Slide releases can be missed or fumbled under stress so I prefer to rack the slide every time. It is a bit on the large and heavy side so it's not good for small hands and if the gun you are buying is intended for concealed carry it may be a bit large but it would be great for open carry. If you think the .45 is not the way to go the Glock 19 is always worth a look as is the Ruger SR 9 both in 9mm.

#13 ·
I'm going to recommend an M&P because the 1911 doesn't have a reversable mag release if I'm not mistaken and the Gen4 Glocks do, but I do not trust the Gen 4 models at the moment.

#14 ·
Springfield XD - great for a lefty or righty.

#16 ·
IMO the recoil spring being very stiff combined with having to depress the the back strap safety, makes it next to impossible pull the slide back and manipulate the slide catch/release with the gun in the left hand.. if i ever had to lock the slide back for any reason, i had to swap it to my right hand. my fingers are to long and go well past the slide release. i had to swap the gun to my right hand and use my thumb to reach it. my forefinger could barely hit it to release the slide too. everything about that gun was awkward to me. but thats just me, you might like it.

traded the XD for a S&W M&P. have never been happier. i own a couple different lefty friendly guns. walther p22 (similar to the p99) ruger P85 (similar to the p89 and p95) i would suggest any of those guns.

#15 ·
Being a lefty, I was pleased that my first gun (Springfield XD-9) had mag releases on both sides of the gun. I recently purchased a Smith Wesson M&P9c and it's also lefty friendly. The slide lock/release can be manipulated from both sides of the gun. The mag release is reversible too, but I switched mine back for right hand operation as I've become accustomed to using my left index finger for mag releases. FN pistols also could be a good consideration, as previously stated.

#17 ·
I'm a Lefty and shoot both revolvers and semiautos.
I own or have owned Glock ,Springfield, S&W , Sigs , and others.

If you intend for two new shooters to share a handgun make it a
S&W revolver or a Glock. :yup:

Minimal controls to master and pretty much foolproof triggers.

:wave:

#19 ·
For a new shooter, I've always recommended a revolver as a first weapon, especially if a woman (wife) is gonna use it.
My wife decided on getting a handgun a couple of weeks ago and had a lot of trouble using the slide on all semi autos she tried.
She finally settled on a Ruger SP101 .357 and just loves it (likes .38 spl.). She also got a couple of speedloaders and is happy with them.
Practices with it most every evening!
Revolvers are usually good right or left handed.

#20 ·
I'm a lefty,I can operate just about any firearm,but for a new shooter,KISS,glock,SA XD,M&P 9c,and a few others,one thing about striker fired pistols like glocks,XD's,M&P's is the trigger pull is the same with every shot,1911's are great guns,but they would require an ambi-safety and he would need enough gun time to build muscle memory to flick the thumb safety off when he draws

#22 ·
You're likely to get as many opinions as people posting with something so subjective as this. Your plan to get out to the gun shows and then the range is a good one. See what fits his hand best.

I'm happy with my Glock 23 and my 1911 w/ an ambi safety and beaver tail.

#23 ·
I am a natural left-hander, but for several reasons elected to carry right-handed when I started carrying 26+ years ago, when I started wearing a badge. (Texas did not have a CHL system in place back then.) I do train to shoot with each hand taking its turn as the weapon hand. If I am going to draw-and-fire in an emergency, I will probably be shooting rightie. In a situation that allows me to proactively draw the gun, such as a building search or area search, my left hand is my weapon hand, the right hand the support hand.

Guys, in all seriousness, SIG "classic" pistols, the P220/226/228/229, work BETTER in lefty mode than rightie mode. The ONLY thing that is clumsier in lefty mode is decocking, and decocking is not something that is done in an urgent rush. With a bit of practice, using the trigger finger to decock does work. My usual carry/duty P229s have the DAK trigger system, which eliminates the decocker, anyway. With an unlimited budget, I would still consider the P226/P228/P229 to be the best autopistol in the world for this lefty's hands. I don't want reversed controls, and I don't want an extra set of controls.

In lefty mode, if you want to lock the slide back, use the right hand to grasp the slide, with the left thumb along the left side of the slide, and the tip of the right thumb, nudges the slide stop into place. Conti's book on police handgunning shows this in a clear photo.

Want to drop the slide? Overhand grasp, pull back, and if there is no mag in the gun, or a loaded mag in the gun, the slide will now fall.

If one wants to use a horizontal-thumb grip method, or even the high-thumb grip, which I do not favor, shooting a SIG lefty means the levers do not interfere with the thumbs.

Want to drop the magazine? Use the left index finger. This, to me, is superior to using the thumb with a reversed button.

To be clear, there are other pistols that will work just as well, with similar manual of arms. I use SIGs, and know they work for me. I briefly used Glocks for duty/carry, and recall they were also good lefty pistols.

Of course, the good ol' revolver works well for lefties, too. The right-hand reload method shown at snubtraining.com works well lefty, too, as it brings the hands together for that moment that allows a lefty to seamlessly hand the sixgun over.

#26 ·
Lefty here, too.

CZ has an ambi safety and mag release, and they make damn fine guns. There are others out there. Some guns. like the Springfield XDSC, have a backstrap and trigger safety that can be operated with either hand. He may also want to consider a revolver. Either hand works well there.

Lefty holsters can be a BIG problem. You may need to pick one of the "popular" guns to find a holster for it. I heartily recommend NOT using one of the generic "fits A, B, C, and sometimes X and Y guns" type. Find a holster custom made for your specific weapon.

In choosing a carry weapon:

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.
4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.

#28 ·
probably starting at a major gunshow this weekend, Then on to a range to rent some of the better options.
So your from Virginia... major gunshow this weekend... I'll see you at the Dulles expo center and maybe blue ridge afterwards? :)

We will also be there looking for a gun for my wife. She is in an interesting situation where she is left eye dominant and because of this shoots left handed. Have him try out what feels good to him. For example my wife prefers a right-handed wheelgun for loading.

The guns were looking at for her are the M&P, XD9, and maybe a wheelgun. She loves the ambi operations. Leaning heavily to M&P.

PS im a sig guy :(

#29 ·
Like others have stated , a left hand safety (if equipped with a safety) is the only real requirement to finding a pistol for a left handed shooter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.