A few mods on my Glock

This is a discussion on A few mods on my Glock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the past few weeks I had been planning to purchase a new carry 1911. Well, my soon to be ex-wife asked if she could ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few mods on my Glock

A few mods on my Glock

For the past few weeks I had been planning to purchase a new carry 1911. Well, my soon to be ex-wife asked if she could have the ruger LCP. When we split she didn’t ask for any of the guns so I figure giving up this one isn’t a issue. Well, I missed my tiny LCP so I decided that instead of laying down 900.00 on a new carry 1911 I would replace my LCP and do a few mods to my glock 26 (which I love) that I have been wanting to do for awhile.
    I am quite happy with the changes. The nice thing is that if I didn’t like any of them they are quite easy to change back to original.

Mepro Light Night Sights - I put these only primarily because I don’t like the stock glock sights and wanted to go three dot that I am used to. The improvement for low light conditions is bonus. I’m happy with the sights for the most part however have to admit I am slightly disappointed. I choose to go with a green front sight and orange rear sights. The green glows extremely bright in low light or no light conditions however the orange rear sights are a bit weak in low light. It’s not a deal breaker for me and I am still happy with them. I’ll just remember in the future that If I go with night sights to go all green.

Extended Slide Stop - I have small hands and I don’t like having to tilt my gun in my hand to hit the slide stop. This fixed that issue. I haven’t encountered any issues with my thumb hitting it when I didn’t want to. Overall it makes the pistol more comfortable for me to operate and has increased my confidence in operating it.

3.5 Trigger Connecter - I didn’t buy a glock because I like the trigger. I put a 3.5 connecter in and I still don’t like it BUT I like it a heck of a lot more than I did before. The trigger feels a lot less “stagey” and I can shoot a lot more accurate letting the trigger all the way out after a shot as opposed to just out far enough to let it reset (Which I have never been a fan of training that way).

Pearce Grip Extension - If I had a dollar for every post I have seen on DC when someone puts a grip extension on a 26 and someone says “OMG, why not just carry a 19!!??!!” I would have…well…A lot of dollars. Here’s the breakdown of how I personally see it. YMMV

- The 26 is lighter. 4-5 ounces may not be much to you but it is noticeable to me and quite a few other people.

- The handle of a 26 with a Pearce grip extension is STILL shorter than that of a 19. It’s perfect for people like me with smaller hands that don’t need the extra purchase on the handle. There’s ZERO wasted grip for me as you can see from the picture. However when I grip a 19 it extends past my hand. Again, that extra inch might not make a difference to you however it does to me. I’m a thin guy that wears close that fit, that extra inch makes a difference.

- It makes the handle more organic. Instead of solid lines when the handle of the pistol prints (which is un-natural on the human body and draws attention) the end of the handle has a more organic curve. Curves on the human body doesn’t tend to draw as much attention as they look more natural.

- It’s easy to change. I have 6 G26 mags. 2 with the Pearce grip extension. 2 with gap floor plates and 2 with standard glock floor plates. If I do need a shorter grip for whatever reason (deeper concealment, ankle carry, etc) all I have to do is change mags before I leave the house. Not possible with a 19 unless you chop the frame.

I was happy with the glock when I first got but for me these quick and easy mods have made it even better. Aside from the night sights they were all pretty cheap (under 50.00 bucks for everything). 50.00 for a pistol I am more comfortable with is well worth the investment.
    Attached Images
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

who says you can't customize a glock :D?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

JT
    I agree with you on the grip extension. I shoot my G26 much better with one, with no real difference in how it carries.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Rolo, sorry about the divorce, AND the 1911. I know you were looking forward to it.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Rolo, sorry about the divorce, AND the 1911. I know you were looking forward to it.
    It's true I was looking forward to it but I'm not to disappointed as my G26 is a fantastic carry gun (even more so now) so It's not like I really needed it. I am quite happy with my current carry system. That actually reminds of a pretty interesting story I was listening to on NPR about the science behind making purchases. Basically it stated that planning/thinking of a purchase generates a large amount of endorphins in our brains however after acquiring a item thinking about it doesn't generate anywhere near the same levels. I think this applies to gun buys really well lol. I read my local gun forums buy/sell section constantly and I see a TON of "WTS XYZ - bought it, ran 100 rounds through it and never shot it again" threads. I noticed this with myself in regards to the 1911. I was planning on purchasing it for about a month. The first 2 weeks I would get REALLY excited. The third week I was excited but nowhere near as excited as the first two weeks. Then this week I was like "Eh, I'll just replace my LCP and buy a few things for my 26" and havent thought twice about the 1911. So, my new rule for buying guns is this. I will wait for at least a month when I get a idea in my head. This way I have time to get over that initial rush and make a decision based on something other then initial excitement. As for the divorce we are both happier so I can't be to sad.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

So which LCP are you getting? Plain black, engraved, or stainless slide?

Personally I like stainless better than anything. The engraved one is nice, but would be nicer if it was stainless engraved
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    So which LCP are you getting? Plain black, engraved, or stainless slide?

Personally I like stainless better than anything. The engraved one is nice, but would be nicer if it was stainless engraved
    I got the plain black. I probably would have went with the stainless but my LGS had them on sale and they were out of them. The engraved is nice but I wont pay extra for a purely cosmetic feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    ...Mepro Light Night Sights - I put these only primarily because I don’t like the stock glock sights and wanted to go three dot that I am used to. The improvement for low light conditions is bonus. I’m happy with the sights for the most part however have to admit I am slightly disappointed. I choose to go with a green front sight and orange rear sights. The green glows extremely bright in low light or no light conditions however the orange rear sights are a bit weak in low light. It’s not a deal breaker for me and I am still happy with them. I’ll just remember in the future that If I go with night sights to go all green...
    Many people choose these multi-color setups specifically BECAUSE the orange covered vials appear dimmer. The brighter green draws your attention to the front sight, where it should be, while the dimmer orange, even if only barely visible, still provides index.

Anyway, I'm really sorry to hear about your changing domestic situation. Hopefully, time will reveal that you're both better off for it.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

los
    Glad you're enjoying the G26. They are reliable pistols. I kinda, sorta miss mine..( hope I didn't say that too loud)

As far as other things going on in your life, remember: As one door closes, many others open... (been there, done that..!) ..

Be safe and be happy, my friend.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Many people choose these multi-color setups specifically BECAUSE the orange covered vials appear dimmer. The brighter green draws your attention to the front sight, where it should be, while the dimmer orange, even if only barely visible, still provides index.

Anyway, I'm really sorry to hear about your changing domestic situation. Hopefully, time will reveal that you're both better off for it.
    I didn't think about it like that but it does make sense. When I look at them in low light it is extremely easy to dial in on the front sight.

cmb
    This is great advice from Rollo, "So, my new rule for buying guns is this. I will wait for at least a month when I get a idea in my head. This way I have time to get over that initial rush and make a decision based on something other then initial excitement." It gives us time to do the reasearch and anticipate the item, it is surprising what can catch our fancy in the mean time... G26 has a great reputation and you are comfortable with it, everytime I think about a new "gun for carry" this is what I try to remind myself, I have most SD scenarios I could ever imagine covered and I am happy I can defend myself and my family, everything else is extra and right now the extra needs to go somewhere else...

Distinguished Member
    I like everything but the 3.5 trigger. A friend that I shoot with put one in his 19, it's too light for me for carry.

Actually IIRC...the rear orange rear sights are not weak. They are purposefully dim. That way the bright green sight JUMPS out in contrast. I had a set on a previously owned G27 that was green on the front and red on the back. The reds had frosted glass in the ampules I think. It really helped to make the green stand out. I will probably put a set on my G27 I buy to replace it .
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    3.5 Trigger Connecter - I didn’t buy a glock because I like the trigger. I put a 3.5 connecter in and I still don’t like it BUT I like it a heck of a lot more than I did before. The trigger feels a lot less “stagey” and I can shoot a lot more accurate letting the trigger all the way out after a shot as opposed to just out far enough to let it reset (Which I have never been a fan of training that way).
    I hope I'm reading this wrong but you do not shoot from the reset? The short, positive reset is one of the biggest advantages you have in shooting a Glock. Without it, your driving a Corvette with a V6. I'm not trying to sound critical, I'm really not, but you need to find a decent instructor or school and learn how to drive it properly. I'm pretty sure I don't know of anyone that is worth a darn as an instructor that doesn't teach that. You think you like your Glock now, you'll love it when you do. Promise ya that!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    I hope I'm reading this wrong but you do not shoot from the reset? The short, positive reset is one of the biggest advantages you have in shooting a Glock. Without it, your driving a Corvette with a V6. I'm not trying to sound critical, I'm really not, but you need to find a decent instructor or school and learn how to drive it properly. I'm pretty sure I don't know of anyone that is worth a darn as an instructor that doesn't teach that. You think you like your Glock now, you'll love it when you do. Promise ya that!
    Lets look at this from a scientific point of view. Shooting a pistol from the reset point is all well and good on paper. It is going to provide the most accurate and shortest trigger pull possible. It is also going to allow for the greatest rate of fire. That being said it is also a fine motor skill and anyone that knows anything about shooting or doing anything else under stress knows that fine motor skills are the first thing to go. So, lets say your in a lethal force confrontation. You draw. Your going for a double tap in the torso. First shot. BANG. You miss, Second shot - click- ***??!! Under stress you didn't let the trigger out far enough (because your hands are shaking) to achieve the reset. You now have a 4 inch blade buried in your chest. However if you had let the trigger completely out that second shot would have gone off.

I'm not saying your way is wrong, I am saying that it has more room for error. This is a fact. As to the purchasing of a corvette with a V6. I didn't buy a corvette, I bought a civic. And I bought it because it's reliable and lasts forever and a day and gets great gas mileage. I didn't buy it for performance like one would buy a Corvette. I bought the glock for the same reasons as I bought the civic (minus the gas mileage). If I wanted a corvette I'd buy a 4000.00 nighthawk 1911.

Edit - By the way..Post 1000! yay!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links